What does the new NDP leader have against the Canadian Flag???

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Surely the right wing has better things to do that engage in the flag debate, Canada talked about
that back in the sixties. I am not really surprised, as they intend on taking the country back all the
way to the nineteenth century. The nation has some serious problems that need to be faced and
the some insist they can get mileage out of nonsense like this. the fact of the matter is the Tories
are scared as hell. Early indications are people across the country like the new NDP leader.
In addition the early add condemning him of being an opportunist backfired.
Mulcair was a lone NDP in a hardcore Liberal Riding in Montreal and he won. that does not make
him an opportunist and people saw this as antics of a silly wing of the conservatives. These guys
should...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
That NDP ideology is blinding.....

lone wolf
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

This simply illustrates the problem the NDP is going to have between pleasing Quebec and pleasing the RoC.

Not a big deal....they are, after all, the opposition doing their job....opposing. But one would think they could have found a higher hill to fight over.

All depends on who you are fighting for, i guess......

That's okay.... Harpco's foot-in-mouth disease negates the necessity for high hills

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

I'm not so sure it's something against a flag as much as it's something against wasting taxpayer money prosecuting people with chips on their shoulders. Better to clog civil courts than criminal ones.

How can you prosecute someone for not taking your encouragement?

earth_as_one
I guess the bill started out with penalties. Then it went to committee where it was watered down to the point where it was a pointless waste of time and money

Jan 30, 2012
NDP MPs said they love the flag too but that the bill is misguided.
Kennedy Stewart, MP for Burnaby-Douglas, opposed the bill because of its potential cost. Prosecuting accused offenders and putting convicted ones in jail is not a wise use of taxpayer dollars, he said.

"We have to think about every penny and we have to think about spending every penny wisely," Stewart said, questioning the need for the bill and saying it was "irresponsible" for the Conservatives to proceed with it.

NDP MP Andrew Cash accused the government of using the flag bill as a wedge issue and said it's "not on the radar" of Canadians. There are far more meaningful initiatives that MPs could be pursuing with private member's bills, Cash said.

Canadian flag law proposal divides MPs - Canada - CBC News

lone wolf
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

How can you prosecute someone for not taking your encouragement?

By calling the cops because they won't let you put up your flag.... How do you legislate patriotism? I think it's a red herring so nobody notices the other crap going on in Dizzyland

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

By calling the cops because they won't let you put up your flag.... How do you legislate patriotism? I think it's a red herring so nobody notices the other crap going on in Dizzyland

What are the cops going to do? This new law doesn't make it illegal to prevent tenants from hanging flags.

lone wolf
I know.... It reads like it makes it illegal to stop someone from flying the flag. Sorta stupid to take up Courts time with more petty bullshyte ... unless you want to legislate Big Brother into everything

eskavan
I honestly don't get why people needed to pass a bill encouraging Canadians to "wave the flag". It's just a flag. But I also don't really understand why someone would oppose such a bill. It's just a flag. What sacred principle is this bill violating?

I agree that apartment buildings filled with flags can sometimes look a bit too scrappy. If that was the reason he should have stated it. Refusing to explain why is just fodder for attack ads. This is about as stupid as not giving up his French citizenship (something I do think would be a respectful gesture, though in practice it might not make any difference).

Bar Sinister
+1 / -1
It's another Tory make-work project; this time by increasing the number of Crown Prosecutors, court officials, and eventually prison guards needed to make the law stick. And then, of course, there are the number of defence lawyers that will be needed. I very strongly suspect that if this bill ever becomes law the police might refuse to investigate and Crown Prosecutors would give it a very low priority in their list of cases to be tried.

What it really amounts to is a pathetic Tory attempt to distract the Canadian public from more serious issues facing the nation and the number of recent scandals plaguing the Cons.

Spade
Exactly!

Vanni Fucci
+1
Wait a minute though...these Tory misdeeds are non-issues and not news-worthy, or so I've heard from the blue crew on this board...

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by Vanni FucciView Post

Wait a minute though...these Tory misdeeds are non-issues and not news-worthy, or so I've heard from the blue crew on this board...

Blue crew: I like that. The Blue Crew vs The Usual Suspects, live on Saturday Night TV. Gotta love polarization.

Nuggler
+1
Screw health care and pensions. Let's talk about flag wavin. Get them priorities straight.

Machjo
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

NDP votes against flag freedom bill

OTTAWA - One of the first acts of the NDP under newly elected leader Thomas Mulcair was to vote against a bill encouraging Canadians to "proudly display the National Flag of Canada."

The Conservatives and Liberals voted in favour of Bill C-288, the National Flag of Canada Act, sponsored by Tory MP John Carmichael and Heritage Minister James Moore. A previous version, introduced last year, included fines and up to two years in jail for condo boards or housing authorities that try to prevent Canadians from flying the flag.

The new version contains no such penalties.

The NDP faced some criticism for not displaying enough Canadian flags during last weekend's leadership convention. An NDP spokesman couldn't immediately explain the party's position......

NDP votes against flag freedom bill | Canada | News | Ottawa Sun (external - login to view)

To be fair though, there is another side to this, having to do with private property rights, with landlords being allowed to set their own rules. While I'm for government regulation, only in those areas where it is necessary for some important purpose, not 1001 laws for each and every little thing. The police and courts are busy enough as is.

Bar Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Blue crew: I like that. The Blue Crew vs The Usual Suspects, live on Saturday Night TV. Gotta love polarization.

"The Usual Suspects?" Does that refer to the members of CC capable of coherent thought or is it a derogatory phrase that refers to those who disagree with you? Oh, wait a minute, those might be the same people.

damngrumpy
OK here is a solution, if so many Canadians want to wave flags and God knows why its not that important,
the law should be that all Canadians can hang flags outside in the wind on Canada Day that is the day for
this stuff. Other than that keep them indoors hanging on the wall, I would far rather see the law stopping
the condo Nazis from not allowing people to use and outdoor cloths line, that would come under being
environmentally friendly.
I have two flags, one a Canadian flag the other a Cape Breton Flag, and I have had them for four years now
and I have yet to take them out of the bag. Flag waving and holding the hand over the heart is not that big in
Canada, its an American thing. Hell in Europe the only time you see that is when a country wins a sporting
event or on their National Holiday.
I want to see my government working on providing health care and other programs for Canadians not these
idiotic tidbits they come up with. The other day it was a day dedicated to cookies of one kind or another,
they were celebrating one hundred years in Canada Actually Entertainment Tonight is starting to have more
substance than the Canadian Parliament. This flag stuff is just another Tory backbench dog and pony show.