What does the new NDP leader have against the Canadian Flag???

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Once again, an american proving that americans are dumb like stick.

The legislation has no provisions for fines or jail, but if you had actually read the link supplied to the new legislation, you would have known that.

Yeah the new version you dumb azz.

Man you are slow.

"A previous version, introduced last year, included fines and up to two years in jail for condo boards or housing authorities that try to prevent Canadians from flying the flag."

The idea that this was even being entertained is ridiculous.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Yeah the new version you dumb azz.

Man you are slow.

roflmfao.... the only version that means anything. The version that was actually voted on. The version that this OP refers to..... dumb ***.

Once again, typical american, can not admit when they have made a mistake.

EagleSmack

roflmfao.... the only version that means anything. The version that was actually voted on. The version that this OP refers to..... dumb ***.

Add another DUH Gerry!

I actually followed the thread you dumb fur trapper, unlike you.

What a bigot you are.

gerryh

Add another DUH Gerry!

I actually followed the thread you dumb fur trapper, unlike you.

Ya.... you followed the other dumb asses that were complaining about the fines and jail terms that were non existent in the legislation.

So, who's dumber.... the idiot that complains about a non existent "problem" or the idiot that follows without thinking for themselves?

EagleSmack

Ya.... you followed the other dumb asses that were complaining about the fines and jail terms that were non existent in the legislation.

So, who's dumber.... the idiot that complains about a non existent "problem" or the idiot that follows without thinking for themselves?

Ahhh...such a simple mind you have Gerry. Was there an old version that had possible fines and jail terms. Answer ...YES

You LOSE again bigot!

gerryh

Ahhh...such a simple mind you have Gerry. Was there an old version that had possible fines and jail terms. Answer ...YES

You LOSE again bigot!

Ah yes, let's bring up old versions of laws that either didn't actually become law, or are no longer law. Let's see which country comes out on "top" shall we..... how confident do you feel...... I already have a whole list of racist laws starting with Article 4, Section 2 of the original constitution.

EagleSmack

Ah yes, let's bring up old versions of laws that either didn't actually become law, or are no longer law. Let's see which country comes out on "top" shall we..... how confident do you feel...... I already have a whole list of racist laws starting with Article 4, Section 2 of the original constitution.

Translation... lets move the goal post for you?

Keep trying hypocrite... keep preaching your hate then go to Church on Sunday.

gerryh

Translation... lets move the goal post for you?
Keep trying hypocrite... keep preaching your hate then go to Church on Sunday.

No goal post moving, it was you that decided to comment on legislation that does not apply to today.

EagleSmack

No goal post moving, it was you that decided to comment on legislation that does not apply to today.

But it was certainly part of the thread.

And now you want to talk about the Constitution? Or try and determine which country is more racist? Sounds like moving the goal post.

But hey... that's your problem up there. All that flag waving and people hating it. Wow.

earth_as_one
The issue here is whether or not someone should be sent ot jail for violating this law. I disagree. Jail time cost taxpayers.... Fines are revenue. I am against jail time over something as trivial as a flag, but I would support fines.

Spade
+5
What a perfectly divisive issue to take Canadians' minds off election misdeeds, the raising of the pension-qualifying age, the environment, corporate welfare, etc.

gerryh
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

The issue here is whether or not someone should be sent ot jail for violating this law. I disagree. Jail time cost taxpayers.... Fines are revenue. I am against jail time over something as trivial as a flag, but I would support fines.

How can that be an issue? It's not in the legislation. You following eaglesmuck down the same road?

Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

What a perfectly divisive issue to take Canadians' minds off election misdeeds, the raising of the pension-qualifying age, the environment, corporate welfare, etc.

The only ones making this a "divisive" issue are the morons that are adding on things that aren't in the legislation. Whether or not there USED to be fines and jail terms is moot as the present legislation does not have that in it.

Tonington
+2

You can't violate a law when the government only encourages something...it's fluff. A toothless tiger.

earth_as_one
+1

How can that be an issue? It's not in the legislation. You following eaglesmuck down the same road?

The only ones making this a "divisive" issue are the morons that are adding on things that aren't in the legislation. Whether or not there USED to be fines and jail terms is moot as the present legislation does not have that in it.

Sorry, I missed the middle of this conversation. rereading thread...

TenPenny
+1
I thought Conservatives were against government meddling needlessly in our lives, but here they are, encouraging us to fly the flag.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Right.

The thread title and article are deliberately misleading.

This is a discussion about the repercussions of someone preventing you from hanging up the flag, not some active active attempt to muzzle Canadians. There are already property rights and trespassing legislation that should dissuade someone from using your property without consent. We don't need specific legislation for flags.

We should have recognized this from the start, but the inflammatory way in which the usual suspects frame the discussion has the purposeful intent of fear mongering.

Currently a tennant can't display a flag without landlord concent. The purpose of this law is to prevent that. Everything else is political spin one way or another. If the Libs had presented it, there would be less objection.

Cannuck
+1 / -2
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Next,we can pass a law to encourage people to Brush their teeth.

...and well we should. Gum disease can be very serious. Think of the children. Looks like the Conservatives have bought into the whole social engineering thing. The NDP would probably vote against it unless it had provisions for flossing.

Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

But then cons like to make mountains out of mole hills when they don't get their own way.

Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

The food industry is regulated to death.

LOL. When did you become a Conservative?

Spade

Anyone have a flag that can cover his face?

Cannuck

It isn't a non-existent problem though. The original bill speaks volumes about how the current government thinks. The problem isn't the bill. The problem is an over bearing, social engineering nanny state government.

TenPenny
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Currently a tennant can't display a flag without landlord concent. The purpose of this law is to prevent that. Everything else is political spin one way or another. If the Libs had presented it, there would be less objection.

Really? Can you explain how it is to accomplish that?

earth_as_one
+1
The opening story is deliberately misleading. We still have no why the NDP voted against this bill. I found the bill:
BILL C-288
An Act respecting the National Flag of Canada
Whereas the Canadian flag is the symbol of the nation’s unity;
Whereas the Canadian flag represents the principles of freedom, democracy, courage, and justice upon which our great nation is based;
Whereas the Canadian flag represents all the citizens of Canada;
Whereas the Canadian flag represents pride in our great nation and support for those who have sacrificed their lives for it;
And whereas it is in the national and public interest to encourage the displaying of the National Flag;
Now, therefore, Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:
SHORT TITLE
Short title
1. This Act may be cited as the National Flag of Canada Act.
DISPLAYING THE NATIONAL FLAG
Displaying flag
2. (1) All Canadians are encouraged to proudly display the National Flag of Canada in accordance with flag protocol.
Allowing display
(2) Every person who is in control of an apartment building, a condominium building or building in divided co-ownership or another multiple-residence building or a gated community is encouraged to allow the National Flag of Canada to be displayed in accordance with flag protocol.

I can think of several reasons. Time and cost to debate and implement this law. Its navel gazing.

Can anyone explain why the NDP voted against this Bill?..

Locutus
+1
Comes off as more of an anti-law.

Keeping the busybody's in-check that make it their duty to discourage and disapprove of flags being flown.

That sort of outrageous flagish patriotism can be seen by some wankers as too right wing. The busy folk become the nannies.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

I don't give negs for every post though I'm not surprised you haven't figured that out yet.

Oh I figured it out. You stalk me around the board (Which of course all started after you were PWND {Read butthurt} repeatedly), finding posts that resemble yours and neg rep them. Because they upset you.

Your self loathing is likely caused by your hatred of hypocrisy.

Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

...the next is admitting you're stupid....although some people seem to think you've aleady done that....

Nope, don't think it, I know it, have the quote to back it up too.

The only ones making this a "divisive" issue are the morons that are adding on things that aren't in the legislation.

I disagree. There are several divisive folk, using a bitter tone to equate flying a flag patriotically, to stupidity and being American. As if simply being American is a bad thing.
Last edited by CDNBear; Mar 30th, 2012 at 04:47 PM..

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

I don't give negs for every post though I'm not surprised you haven't figured that out yet.

You just can't get more magnanimous than that!

Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Your self loathing is likely caused by your hatred of hypocrisy.

Hatred of it???????? I thought he invented it!

lone wolf
+1
I'm not so sure it's something against a flag as much as it's something against wasting taxpayer money prosecuting people with chips on their shoulders. Better to clog civil courts than criminal ones.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

You just can't get more magnanimous than that!

Or silly. I wonder how he justifies his bullying tactics.

Quote:

Hatred of it???????? I thought he invented it!

I don't know about that, but he certainly is one.
Last edited by CDNBear; Mar 30th, 2012 at 04:34 PM..

damngrumpy
Surely the right wing has better things to do that engage in the flag debate, Canada talked about
that back in the sixties. I am not really surprised, as they intend on taking the country back all the
way to the nineteenth century. The nation has some serious problems that need to be faced and
the some insist they can get mileage out of nonsense like this. the fact of the matter is the Tories
are scared as hell. Early indications are people across the country like the new NDP leader.
In addition the early add condemning him of being an opportunist backfired.
Mulcair was a lone NDP in a hardcore Liberal Riding in Montreal and he won. that does not make
him an opportunist and people saw this as antics of a silly wing of the conservatives. These guys
should lay low for a while as they are about to wear the robo call label in the near future.
I think we should get on with the business of Canada.

Colpy
+1
This simply illustrates the problem the NDP is going to have between pleasing Quebec and pleasing the RoC.

Not a big deal....they are, after all, the opposition doing their job....opposing. But one would think they could have found a higher hill to fight over.

All depends on who you are fighting for, i guess......

DaSleeper
+1

The opening story is deliberately misleading. We still have no why the NDP voted against this bill. I found the bill:

Can anyone explain why the NDP voted against this Bill?..

What do you find misleading??
You ask the very same question (twice) that I asked in the OP

Spade
Gosh.