Only in Canada-Restaurant Menu 'Offensive' to Albinos

bill barilko
The mind boggles-the beer is more offensive than the name.I mean it's not bad just not distinctive.

B.C. woman wants 'Albino Rhino' off menu at Earls

A Metro Vancouver woman with albinism has launched a human rights complaint against a popular chain restaurant, saying the restaurant's "albino" branding of menu items is going too far.

Ikponwosa (I.K.) Ero filed a complaint with the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal against Earls Restaurants over its "Albino Rhino" line of beer and "Albino Wings Wednesdays."

The complaint alleges that the marketing of the "Albino" line is demeaning to Ero and all people with the genetic condition known as albinism and is being done deliberately to evoke a sense of oddness about being albino.

Earls Restaurants has offered a line of beer under the brand 'Albino Rhino' for more than 20 years.

Ero said naming menu items after medical or genetic conditions is not commonly acceptable.

"You go into a restaurant and someone says, 'Can I get a palsy? Give me a palsy,'" she said. "And what it stands for is a cerebral palsy cocktail. I don't think that would fly well at all with anybody with cerebral palsy, or their families, who have to live with the condition.

"So how does it work, in [the case of albinism] that you can market food with a medical condition?"

In her complaint, Ero noted that she was born in Nigeria, where people with albinism are often targeted for ritualistic murder. The threat of violent persecution was part of the reason she and her family fled to Canada when she was a teenager.

Earls defends 'Albino' branding
Mark Barry, vice-president of human resources with Earls Restaurants, issued a statement that said Earls created and named its house beer "Albino Rhino" 25 years ago and in no way meant to be discriminatory or offend.

"The name was chosen because it was fun and whimsical in sound and denoted something rare and special – we felt proud to have such a beautiful animal, the white rhino, representing our brand," Barry said.

"It did not occur to us that the name would be associated with albinism, nor did it occur to us it would offend, and in the 25 years we have been serving our beer we have never had a complaint about the name until now."

He said Earls does not believe that the use of the white rhino logo on beer or the name Albino Rhino reflects any intended or unintended discrimination against people with albinism.

Albinism is caused by one of several genetic variations that make the body unable to either produce or distribute melanin, the substance that gives colour to hair, skin and the iris of the eyes.

mentalfloss
That's so retarded.

lone wolf
+1
#3  Top Rated Post
Never bothered Johnny or Edgar

petros
+1
White rhinos are real. WTF is her problem?

skookumchuck
+1
The small print reads.....call me anything you want but spell my name right.

petros
Does this mean albinos are offended by taking a "red eye" flight too?

#juan
The percentage of albinos in the U.S. isabout one in 17,000. As near as I can tell, in Canada it is
something like one in 25,000. Does something this rare warrant a special law? I'm sure Earles
restaurant was not targeting abinos. In my life,seventy odd years, I think I've seen maybe three or
four albinos and I'm not sure it was that many. While my heart goes out to people with albinism,
and the accompanying vision problems, do we really need the law to run interference for them?

Liberalman
How about the Albino Wino

lone wolf
Cripe.... Next they'll gripe about the white knight....

petros
Is this offensive to black people?

The Old Medic
The sad part of this is: The woman will likely win her case, and the restaurant will be forced to change it's names of those items. The Human Right's Commissions are very powerful, and very, very prone to actually accept this kind of crap claim.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

The percentage of albinos in the U.S. isabout one in 17,000. As near as I can tell, in Canada it is
something like one in 25,000. Does something this rare warrant a special law? I'm sure Earles
restaurant was not targeting abinos. In my life,seventy odd years, I think I've seen maybe three or
four albinos and I'm not sure it was that many. While my heart goes out to people with albinism,
and the accompanying vision problems, do we really need the law to run interference for them?

Hmm 70 odd years - That would be uneven numbers right. So you would have to be 141???

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Hmm 70 odd years - That would be uneven numbers right. So you would have to be 141???

Oh be nice...you don't count the even years....

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Oh be nice...you don't count the even years....

Ok. Then you are not the world's oldest man. But i hope you give it a good run.

eh1eh
+1
Oh my goodness. Change everything anyone doesn't like the day they are on the effing rag.