Pope Benedict calls for open society during Cuba visit


petros
#1
Pope Benedict XVI has urged Cubans to build an "open and renewed society", at the start of the first papal visit to the communist-run country in 14 years.

At a Mass in front of some 200,000 people in the eastern city of Santiago, he called for a "renewed society".

The Pontiff was welcomed by President Raul Castro who said the country enjoyed good relations with the Church.

His visit marks the 400th anniversary of Cuba's patron saint, the Virgin of Charity of El Cobre.

The icon - also known as the Mambisa Virgin - was found floating in a bay in 1612 by fishermen and was revered by Cuba's independence heroes.

'Dignity'

"Devotion to the Virgin Mambisa has sustained the faith and inspired the defence and promotion of all that gives dignity to the human condition and fundamental rights," the Pope said on his arrival in the country, where Roman Catholics now account for 10% of the population.

"I carry in my heart the just aspirations and legitimate desires of all Cubans, wherever they may be, their sufferings and their joys, their concerns and their noblest desires," he said.

He added that he was convinced that the country "at this moment of particular importance in its history" was "looking to the future" and "striving to renew and broaden its horizons".

President Castro was seated in the front row of the Mass in Cuba's second largest city as believers sang hymns and prayed in Santiago's Revolution Square.

The Pope appealed to the audience to reinvigorate their faith "that you may strive to build a renewed and open society, a better society, one more worthy of humanity".

Before the Mass, one man was arrested after shouting: "Down with communism". Others in the audience booed him for spoiling the atmosphere and shouted: "Cuba, Cuba, Cuba".

BBC News - Pope Benedict calls for open society during Cuba visit (external - login to view)
 
Bar Sinister
#2
Oh right - like the open society known as the Roman Catholic Church. Is a woman Pope on the horizon? Oh, I forgot, women are not allowed into the RC priesthood.
 
gerryh
#3
I'm curious.... are you Catholic?
 
Spade
#4
Is the Pope Cuban?
 
gerryh
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Is the Pope Cuban?


Nope, but obviously many Cubans are Catholic, and his Holiness the Pope is the spiritual leader of all Roman Catholics.
 
Cannuck
+1
#6  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Nope, but obviously many Cubans are Catholic, and his Holiness the Pope is the spiritual leader of all Roman Catholics.

No, just practicing.
 
damngrumpy
+1
#7
I am a retired Catholic, weddings, funerals and social family events other than that I gave
up on Mass a long time ago. The Catholic Church leader should start by holding an
ecumenical Council and open the church doors wide open. Women priests and more.
Until then they should say nothing about the Cuban situation. Although Cuba is quite
capable of handling its own affairs.
 
gerryh
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

No, just practicing.


I'm curious... who the fu ck are you answering/talking to?

Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

I am a retired Catholic, weddings, funerals and social family events other than that I gave
up on Mass a long time ago. The Catholic Church leader should start by holding an
ecumenical Council and open the church doors wide open. Women priests and more.
Until then they should say nothing about the Cuban situation. Although Cuba is quite
capable of handling its own affairs.


Retired Catholic?
 
Cannuck
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

I'm curious... who the fu ck are you answering/talking to?

PM me and I can explain the concept of the quote function.
 
gerryh
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

PM me and I can explain the concept of the quote function.


You quoted me, but I never asked you anything.
 
Cannuck
-1
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

You quoted me, but I never asked you anything.

You're not required to. That's the beauty of the quote function. Like I said, PM me and I'll explain it to you.
 

Similar Threads

0
Benedict the unlikely pin-up pope
by sanctus | Dec 18th, 2006
no new posts