Joe Oliver says 'dysfunctional aboriginals could benefit from development

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Like duh, aboriginal reserves are going nowhere under the current system of racial segregation with the Indian Act. They need to work, make money and own property on their reserves that are run by undemocratic, tribal councils. That's not traditional enough for some, too bad. It's good enough for the rest us who live in the modern world.

Joe Oliver says 'dysfunctional' aboriginals could benefit from development

Joe Oliver says 'dysfunctional' aboriginals could benefit from development

By Fiona Anderson, Postmedia News March 22, 2012

Many aboriginal communities are "socially dysfunctional" and could benefit from developments that bring jobs and revenue to them, Canada's Minister of Natural Resources Joe Oliver told at a Vancouver Board of Trade breakfast this week.

Photograph by: Mark Blinch, Reuters Files , Vancouver Sun

VANCOUVER — Many aboriginal communities are "socially dysfunctional" and could benefit from developments that bring jobs and revenue to them, Canada's Minister of Natural Resources Joe Oliver told at a Vancouver Board of Trade breakfast this week.

Oliver was talking Wednesday about the need to amend Canada's regulatory process to ensure mining and other resource-development projects can proceed in a timely fashion.

But amendments to the current environmental assessment process — which Oliver said would be introduced within the next few months — would still ensure the projects were "safe for Canadians and safe for the environment," he said.

That includes protecting the interests of aboriginal people, Oliver said in response to a question from the audience.

The government has "a moral and constitutional obligation to consult with aboriginal communities and to accommodate if necessary and we intend to meet our obligations in that regard," he said.

"The developments we are looking at have the capacity to be truly transformative to a lot of aboriginal communities. This is really a tremendous opportunity to transform communities that have been socially dysfunctional, that haven't had economic opportunities, haven't had employment opportunities."

When asked to elaborate to reporters after his talk, Oliver said: "What we want to do is provide the economic opportunity to give them hope, to move them from despair to hope, where their youth can be employed, where people of all ages have an opportunity to have jobs that will provide them the chance to have a good, even a great, standard of living.

"We're very respectful of the traditional way of life of aboriginal communities. It's up to them of course to preserve what they believe is worthy of preserving. We're not taking a paternalistic approach in that regard. That's their decision.

"But what these projects bring is an enhanced economic opportunity which doesn't have to be inconsistent with some of their core values."

Arnold Clifton, chief councillor of the Gitga'at First Nation, called Oliver's choice of language "insulting."

The Gitga'at oppose Enbridge Inc.'s $5.5-billion pipeline that would bring bitumen from the Alberta oilsands to port in Kitimat, B.C., where it would be loaded aboard tankers for export to Asia. The tankers would go through Douglas Channel, where the Gitga'at are located.

"This language is insulting to First Nations and the minister should apologize," Clifton said in a news release. "This slip-of-the tongue shows stereotypes about First Nations people are alive and well in the federal government and it helps explain why this government has such a mistrustful and dysfunctional relationship with aboriginal communities."

Marilyn Baptiste, chief of the Xeni Gwet'in First Nation, which opposes Taseko's $1-billion New Prosperity mine near Williams Lake, also found the wording upsetting.

Canada has endorsed the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, which promises to respect indigenous rights and eliminate racial discrimination, Baptiste said.

"Yet B.C. and Canada are continuing to move forward (with) business as usual," she said. "Furthermore they are changing processes, acts and legislation for the sake of industry and removing protections to the environment, fish and their habitat. That's not acceptable."

Pierre Gratton, president and CEO of the Mining Association of Canada, called the minister's choice of words "unfortunate."

"The minister used an unfortunate choice of words to express a positive sentiment: Mining can offer first nations significant opportunities for economic and community progress," Gratton wrote in an email.

"Mining is the largest private sector employer of aboriginal Canadians and the depth and breadth of our partnerships continue to evolve and deepen. This can accelerate as the industry expands."

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
The KIA(Kivallik Innuit Association) used to set requirements for us to hire 70% native in our work force in Nunavut and we were lucky if we could hit 50%.No training and the ones that got sent to Winnipeg for a heavy equipment operators course couldnt operate their way out of a wet bag.
I have lots of Innuk's on my social networking sites and trust me,the ones unemployed would love a job.
As more mines come on stream in the next few years there will be lots of natives in the workforce because when mines get big they will do their own in house training.When you start a mine from scratch you need nothing but the most experienced people to make it happen.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I have lots of Innuk's on my social networking sites and trust me,the ones unemployed would love a job.
As more mines come on stream in the next few years there will be lots of natives in the workforce because when mines get big they will do their own in house training.When you start a mine from scratch you need nothing but the most experienced people to make it happen.
Cameco hires more Natives than any other company in Canada.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Cameco hires more Natives than any other company in Canada.

Baker lake just loves Agnico eagle too,especially at christmas time when they hold a huge party and have presents for all the kids and nice stuff like laptops.
Rankin inlet will be the next place to boom because of a mine depending on who gets it,maybe comoplex or Agnico,I think agnico was trying to buy the comoplex properties,one which allready has a working underground mine.
Lots of jobs soon in the far north.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The KIA(Kivallik Innuit Association) used to set requirements for us to hire 70% native in our work force in Nunavut and we were lucky if we could hit 50%.

Clearly you are a racist....at least that is what I was called when I said something along those lines.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The KIA(Kivallik Innuit Association) used to set requirements for us to hire 70% native in our work force in Nunavut and we were lucky if we could hit 50%.No training and the ones that got sent to Winnipeg for a heavy equipment operators course couldnt operate their way out of a wet bag.

The Aboriginals own the land, which includes the mineral and oil rights so they get to set the rules.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There does seem to be a lot of them and I do watch most of them.Too bad I did'nt go back to sabina golds goose and george lake camps,buffalo is filming a whole season at the camp right now.
Bering Sea Gold starts tonight. It will be great for the north to have a bunch of yutzes drag heavy equipment up there to work placer and fail. Their equipment will come in handy.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
The Aboriginals own the land, which includes the mineral and oil rights so they get to set the rules.

Yes and in the Kivvalik that's the KIA who are mostly made up of elders from villages in the Kivallik.
I met most of them when we invited them to camp for a VIP lunch,real good group of people looking after their own.

Bering Sea Gold starts tonight. It will be great for the north to have a bunch of yutzes drag heavy equipment up there to work placer and fail. Their equipment will come in handy.
I cant wait to watch this one,hopefully they dont have a teenager running the mine like the other show.Those guys are allmost all destined to lose their ass.

I worked for Sabina gold and silver last year,they are doing huge things in the north,when the deep sea port and road is built it will explode with mines.

Sabina Gold & Silver Corporation - Nunavut: Challenges and Opportunities - Mon Mar 26, 2012

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Like duh, aboriginal reserves are going nowhere...
I realize you have a serious reading and comprehension issue, so I'll highlight the error you made...

VANCOUVER — Many aboriginal communities are "socially dysfunctional" and could benefit from developments that bring jobs and revenue to them, Canada's Minister of Natural Resources Joe Oliver told at a Vancouver Board of Trade breakfast this week.

Not all, as your silly commentary would indicate.

You should probably read the article again, since you obviously missed the gist of it almost entirely.

Clearly you are a racist....at least that is what I was called when I said something along those lines.
More dishonesty? Really? I blame your admitted stupidity for why you still don't understand why you are called a racist. Since it's been explained to you, numerous times now.

You really should work on that.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
There is so many mining companies waiting for the govt to step in and help with a deep sea port and all weather road that it's not funny anymore.
They dont want subsidies but a commitment that roads,new communities,seaports,airports and icebreakers are available so supply lines can be maintained.
My last link has most of the info on development of some huge western arctic deposits and new mines.
These will happen in a couple years folks

Baffin island is a whole new gig,another bonanza for Canada.

Doug Cater was my boss at sabina.This will be a huge open pit mine in a few years.

Sabina Gold & Silver Corporation - Back River Resources - Mon Mar 26, 2012

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Well you predicted that right,Canada's rednecks have nothing on those braindead guys,I could only shake my head watching them paddle their boat out into the bering sea with a cat hoe for freaks sake! Then they need a tow to keep from getting smashed on the rocks.

The guy with the white beard has about 30 years of nicotine on his moustache!

Man oh man,they waited 2 seasons before showing this in Canada because they didnt think we would buy Americans being this brain dead!!!!!!!

I swear some of these guys are related to those guys on that swamp show.

I'll watch the next one just to see who gets punched out or drunk and overboard! lol!!!!

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
In the following quote by the minister, he's not mouthing the usual platitudes that the govt isn't always on the side of the corrupt leadership. Bands can muster challenges to what the leadership once considered "traditional" and the if the leadership loses, they can't come whining to the govt for redress. Tribal leaders hate it when the sheep get money and power, but that's the modern world. The poor don't revolt, its the middle class. Something lacking on reserves at present. The tribal leaders are like Putin.

"We're very respectful of the traditional way of life of aboriginal communities. It's up to them of course to preserve what they believe is worthy of preserving. We're not taking a paternalistic approach in that regard. That's their decision."

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
In the following quote by the minister, he's not mouthing the usual platitudes that the govt isn't always on the side of the corrupt leadership. Bands can muster challenges to what the leadership once considered "traditional" and the if the leadership loses, they can't come whining to the govt for redress. Tribal leaders hate it when the sheep get money and power, but that's the modern world. The poor don't revolt, its the middle class. Something lacking on reserves at present. The tribal leaders are like Putin.
Your idiotic generalization aside. The gov't has supported ousted leaders bids in front of judiciaries, to have themselves reinstated to Council.