More rulz is rulz

Locutus
State rules bar Down Syndrome student from playing his favorite sport, basketball

ISHPEMING, MI -- Eric Dompierre loves sports, especially basketball. In fact, this week, he earned our "Play of the Week" with a shot against Negaunee, Michigan in the District Final.

Eric never let the fact that he was born with Down Syndrome stop him from playing. But now, he may have to cheer on his team from the bleachers. It's a battle between Eric's family and the Michigan High School Athletic Association (external - login to view).
The association says because he's 19 years old, he isn't allowed to play in his senior year of high school.

"I'd be sad if I couldn't play with them and not have them in my life. They want me to play, and I want to play with them," said Eric.

According to the MHSAA handbook, students aren't allowed to participate in any school sport if they are above 19 years of age. Because of his disability, Eric got a late start in elementary school making him older than his classmates.
His dad, Dean, and the Ishpeming School District (external - login to view) have submitted two proposed revisions to the rule, but the association turned them down.

more

State rules bar Down Syndrome student from playing his favorite sport, basketball : News : UpperMichigansSource.com (external - login to view)

Ron in Regina
+1
#2  Top Rated Post
So the fact that this young man is 19yrs old now, and happens to also
be Down Syndrome, are two seperate issues with respect to his being
able to continue playing basketball in this league.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

Yes, he's not being banned because he's Downs, he's too old.

Funny how people like to confuse the issue.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

Bang on the money -

"I'd be sad if I couldn't play with them and not have them in my life. They want me to play, and I want to play with them," said Eric.

According to the MHSAA handbook, students aren't allowed to participate in any school sport if they are above 19 years of age. Because of his disability, Eric got a late start in elementary school making him older than his classmates.

no new posts