It's a Trap!

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

You'd still hit it. ;-)

Miss Universe Canada yanks transgendered contestant from pageant

The Miss Universe Canada organizers concede Jenna Talackova is a “real girl,” but that doesn’t mean they will let her in their beauty pageant.

Talackova, a Vancouver native, will not be competing in this year’s Miss Universe Canada pageant because she was born a male.
According to Denis Davila, national director of Miss Universe Canada, the rules set by the Miss Universe franchise state that each contestant must be a “naturally born female.”

more

Canada News: Miss Universe Canada yanks transgendered contestant from pageant - thestar.com

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Seems like 'vagina' or maybe 'uterus' is a qualification for the contest.

She would already have a vagina, and not having a uterus would mean any young girl that has had to have a full hysterectomy for medical reasons would not qualify either. Descriminating against her because she was born with the wrong set of parts isn't right. That mistake has been rectified.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
According to the Star article he never had his sex change until he was 19 years old and started hormone therepy at 14 and it goes on that he wanted to be a girl at the age of 4 years of age so the Miss Universe Canada was right in their decision.

Since the Gay and Lesbian community has a lot more disposible income they should have their own international beauty pagent and he can enter that one he has a good chance of winning.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
She would already have a vagina, and not having a uterus would mean any young girl that has had to have a full hysterectomy for medical reasons would not qualify either. Descriminating against her because she was born with the wrong set of parts isn't right. That mistake has been rectified.

Well if they were denying her some kind of rights I would agree but this is a different situation. The pageant isn't a human right, it's a business. I would think she signed a contract before competing which probably stipulated she comply with the rules or be qualified.
Other Miss 'whatever' contests have lost their title by breaking the rules.
Do you think everyone that breaks a business contract is being discriminated against? Or do you think anyone who applies for the contest should be allowed to compete to protect their right to do so?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
According to the Star article he never had his sex change until he was 19 years old and started hormone therepy at 14 and it goes on that he wanted to be a girl at the age of 4 years of age so the Miss Universe Canada was right in their decision.

Since the Gay and Lesbian community has a lot more disposible income they should have their own international beauty pagent and he can enter that one he has a good chance of winning.

SHE, dummy, NOT he.

Well if they were denying her some kind of rights I would agree but this is a different situation. The pageant isn't a human right, it's a business. I would think she signed a contract before competing which probably stipulated she comply with the rules or be qualified.
Other Miss 'whatever' contests have lost their title by breaking the rules.
Do you think everyone that breaks a business contract is being discriminated against? Or do you think anyone who applies for the contest should be allowed to compete to protect their right to do so?

I didn't say they were denying her any "rights". I said she is being discriminated against because she was born with the wrong set.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
SHE, dummy, NOT he.

I didn't say they were denying her any "rights". I said she is being discriminated against because she was born with the wrong set.

Does the Olympic Committee not have the same rules?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
What does that matter?

Why don't you check Rene Richards.

I assume there is a signed contract outlining the rules?

According to Denis Davila, national director of Miss Universe Canada, the rules set by the Miss Universe franchise state that each contestant must be a “naturally born female.”

Caster Semenya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Semenya on the 2010 Diamond League circuitIn March 2010 she was denied the opportunity to compete in the local Yellow Pages Series V Track and Field event in Stellenbosch, South Africa, because the IAAF had yet to release its findings from her gender test.[35]

On 6 July, the IAAF cleared Semenya to return to international competition. The results of the gender tests, however, will not be released for privacy reasons.[3] She returned to competition nine days later winning two minor races in Finland.[36] On August 22, 2010, running on the same track as her World Championship victory, Semenya started slowly but finished strongly, dipping under 2:00 for the first time since the controversy, while winning the ISTAF meet in Berlin.[37]

Not being on full form, she did not enter the World Junior Championships or the African Championships, both held in July 2010, and opted to target the Commonwealth Games to be held in October 2010.[38] She improved her season's best to 1:58.16 at the Notturna di Milano meeting in early September and returned to South Africa to prepare for the Commonwealth Games.[39] Eventually, she was forced to skip the games due to injury.[40]

In September, the British magazine New Statesman included Semenya in its annual list of "50 People That Matter" for unintentionally instigating "an international and often ill-tempered debate on gender politics, feminism and race, becoming an inspiration to gender campaigners around the world."[5]

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I did - And read the Court decision - Guess you are jumping to conclusions. Something that you have accused others of.

Then you know that it doesn't matter what the hell the contract says or what the "rules" are. If they are discriminatory they aren't worth the paper they are written on.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Then you know that it doesn't matter what the hell the contract says or what the "rules" are. If they are discriminatory they aren't worth the paper they are written on.

In the US.

Renée Richards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Renée Richards (born August 19, 1934) is an American ophthalmologist, author and former professional tennis player. In 1975, Richards underwent sex reassignment surgery. She was denied entry into the 1976 US Open by the United States Tennis Association, citing an unprecedented women-born-women policy. She disputed the ban, and the New York Supreme Court ruled in her favor in 1977. This was a landmark decision in favor of transsexual rights.[2