Tsunami-linked fishing boat adrift off B.C.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Tsunami-linked fishing boat adrift off B.C.

Nobody believed aboard 50-metre vessel swept away in 2011 Japanese disaster

The 50-metre boat was spotted by a patrol aircraft off the coast of Haida Gwaii, B.C. (Transport Canada)

A Japanese fishing boat that was washed out to sea in the March 2011 Japanese tsunami has been located adrift off the coast of B.C., according to the federal Transport Ministry.

The 50-metre vessel was spotted by the crew of an aircraft on routine patrol about 275 kilometres off Haida Gwaii, formerly known as the Queen Charlotte Islands, ministry spokeswoman Sau Sau Liu said Friday.

"Close visual aerial inspection and hails to the ship indicate there is no one on board," Liu said. "The owner of the vessel has been contacted and made aware of its location."

U.S. senator Maria Cantwell, of Washington, said in a release that the boat was expected to drift slowly southeast.

"On its current trajectory and speed, the vessel wouldn't make landfall for approximately 50 days," Cantwell said.

Cantwell did not specify where landfall was expected to be.
First large debris

The boat is the first large piece of debris found following the earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan one year ago.

Scientists at the University of Hawaii say a field of about 18 million tonnes of debris is slowly being carried by ocean currents toward North America.

The field is estimated to be about 3,200 kilometres long and 1,600 kilometres wide.

Scientists have estimated some of the debris would hit B.C. shores by 2014.

Some people on the west coast of Vancouver Island believe smaller pieces of debris have already washed ashore there.

The March 11, 2011, tsunami was generated after a magnitude 9.0 earthquake struck off the coast of northern Japan.

The huge waves and swells of the tsunami moved inland and then retreated back into the Pacific Ocean, carrying with them the wreckage of buildings, cars and boats.

Nearly 19,000 people were killed.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

WTF?? Haida Gwaii, formerly known as the Queen Charlotte Islands. Still know as Queen Charlotte Islands, because I won't call it some BS gay name.. Haida Gwaii .. screw the tourism.

http://www.qcinfo.ca - guess I'm not the only one.. lol

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I think the west coast is destined to see a virtual junk yard on it's shores. A really grim reminder of a horrific event.

WTF?? Haida Gwaii, formerly known as the Queen Charlotte Islands. Still know as Queen Charlotte Islands, because I won't call it some BS gay name.. Haida Gwaii .. screw the tourism.

Queen Charlotte Visitor Information Centre - Home - guess I'm not the only one.. lol

Interesting choice of words. I'm curious is it the island name only or the entire Haida Nation that's "gay"?

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007

Queen Charlotte Visitor Information Centre - Home - guess I'm not the only one.. lol

right on

and I'll never refer to the Sky Dome as the R... (sh*t I can't even type it) Center.

And Oakmount Park, on Oakmount between Humberside Ave. and Bloor St. in the neighborhood I grew up in, I will never call Park Lithuania, that the asshole social engineers in Toronto changed it to way back in the 70s. Fvck, there weren't even that many Lugans in the hood, ya know what I'm sayin'?

:?)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
How much to retro fit to sails? (solar w/electric sub engines, German of course although NK have really silent ones apparently)
Smart move to give it the 'rat-ship' paint job so even pirates would see it costing more than salvage is worth.

Tow it to port add some black cats and such and your have a 24/7/365 Halloween house

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
I think the west coast is destined to see a virtual junk yard on it's shores. A really grim reminder of a horrific event.

Interesting choice of words. I'm curious is it the island name only or the entire Haida Nation that's "gay"?

The Haida were the "bogeymen" of legend to nearly all other west coast tribes.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Umm? Wasn't that what they were called before Europeans invaded and conquered the people already living there?
It was the other side of the pincer move that started with the fur-traders in the east many moons before that.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I wonder if a person could helicopter out to that boat, get the engines running and just bring it home. Be better than just watching it rust. The hull must be sound or it would have sunk by now.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
well somebody should get off their ass and get out there.... that boat is worth a pretty penny just for scrap.