Ontario Northland gets the axe


lone wolf
#1
Now that the mines are closing and hydro is out of the reach of Northern Ontario industry, the railroad is getting the kiss-off.

Province selling off Ontario Northland - Sudbury Local News (external - login to view)
 
CDNBear
#2
That's BS dude. Memories of Harris.

So many communities depend on the ONL. What a stupid move.
 
Kakato
#3
Sounds like someone's getting his head smacked off the public teat!

Quote:

Government funding has increased 274 per cent from $28 million in 2003 to $103 million this year

Unfortunately Toronto is not the center of the universe anymore,Calgary is.
With more people heading west then east they better have some kind of plan,their auto industry went for a **** long time ago and aside from asking for tax dollars they never really came up with some plan to replace those jobs lost.

No offence guys but if this was a reserve in the north people would be screaming for them to relocate.

Quote:

Sales revenues have declined from $140 million to just more than $100 million. The current subsidy on the Northlander train is $400 per passenger, and no longer affordable

 
CDNBear
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by KakatoView Post

No offence guys but if this was a reserve in the north people would be screaming for them to relocate.

The ONL serves those communities too.
 
Kakato
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

The ONL serves those communities too.

At $400.00 per passenger to subsidize, I think we should phone up buffalo joe and get a steady charter going in then,sounds like opportunity to me.
 
bill barilko
#6
I know that area and that operation of old-if they aren't hauling natural resources there is no reason for anything to exist I mean the towns the roads the paltry farms the bare bones existences of the souls who struggle in the blighted frozen bush.

Classic haulers of woods and drawers of water.
 
Kakato
#7
So do they have road's into those communities served by rail? The article does'nt say.
 
CDNBear
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by KakatoView Post

At $400.00 per passenger to subsidize, I think we should phone up buffalo joe and get a steady charter going in then,sounds like opportunity to me.

No doubt rail travel in Canada is extremely expensive.

What does Buffalo Joe charge for flag stops between Cochrane and Moosonee?
 
bill barilko
#9
As regards passenger service no one has taken the train since the 60's and the schedule reflects that it's ll about taking stuff out not shipping people in-that's what the bus is for and I can't see that changing any time soon since Greyhound is cutting back service all over and doesn't even run that that part of the north.
 
lone wolf
+1
#10
North of Cochrane? Notta. The Polar Bear isn't being cut ... but if the tracks are it sure will be.
 
CDNBear
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by KakatoView Post

So do they have road's into those communities served by rail? The article does'nt say.

To the bulk of the stops, no, there aren't any roads. Bill's talking out his ***. Again.

Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

As regards passenger service no one has taken the train since the 60's and the schedule reflects that it's ll about taking stuff out not shipping people in-that's what the bus is for and I can't see that changing any time soon since Greyhound is cutting back service all over and doesn't even run that that part of the north.

Ya, the bus works wonders in the bush with no roads.

Geezus you're an idiot.
 
Kakato
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

As regards passenger service no one has taken the train since the 60's and the schedule reflects that it's ll about taking stuff out not shipping people in-that's what the bus is for and I can't see that changing any time soon since Greyhound is cutting back service all over and doesn't even run that that part of the north.

They dont run half the routes they used to,way too many stops.
Rail is still ver expensive,right of ways are the most expensive part with maintenance.
But if they have roads,then lets get some more somalian truck drivers over here and get some **** moving.lol!
 
CDNBear
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

North of Cochrane? Notta. The Polar Bear isn't being cut ... but if the tracks are it sure will be.

Unless it's written the sale agreement. Service will be at the purchasers discretion.
 
lone wolf
+1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

As regards passenger service no one has taken the train since the 60's and the schedule reflects that it's ll about taking stuff out not shipping people in-that's what the bus is for and I can't see that changing any time soon since Greyhound is cutting back service all over and doesn't even run that that part of the north.

Ya mean I'm just seeing things in that big doggie on the bus?
 
bill barilko
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by KakatoView Post

So do they have road's into those communities served by rail? The article does'nt say.

Highway 11 North Bay to Timmins after that it's just bush.

Some info here Ontario Highway 11 Homepage (external - login to view)
 
Kakato
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

Highway 11 North Bay to Timmins after that it's just bush.

Some info here Ontario Highway 11 Homepage (external - login to view)

I like Bush,Kate to be exact!
 
CDNBear
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

Highway 11 North Bay to Timmins after that it's just bush.

And ONL rail lines. Servicing communities with limited other means of connection to other markets.
 
WLDB
+1
#18
Annoying. I'm from Timmins. Ontario Northland over charges enough as it is compared to Greyhound. I imagine it'll just go higher now.
 
Kakato
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

And ONL rail lines. Servicing communities with limited other means of connection to other markets.

This would be good PR for Joe and Buffalo.
They might jump on it.

Their at the camp I was at one year ago right now filming Arctic air so I can put a bug in someones ear.
 
CDNBear
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by KakatoView Post

This would be good PR for Joe and Buffalo.
They might jump on it.

Their at the camp I was at one year ago right now filming Arctic air so I can put a bug in someones ear.

Ya, I already asked you how much you think he'll charge for flag stops.
 
Kakato
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Ya, I already asked you how much you think he'll charge for flag stops.

Hard to say,depends on how many spill kits you need when one of their planes lands on the lake ice.
 
lone wolf
+1
#22
Flag stops will scare hell out of someone. Getting down's easy. That snap pick-up aka barrage balloon and mail catcher is a bit tougher - especially with luggage
 
CDNBear
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by KakatoView Post

Hard to say,depends on how many spill kits you need when one of their planes lands on the lake ice.

So in other words, not really feasible.

Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Flag stops will scare hell out of someone. Getting down's easy. That snap pick-up aka barrage balloon and mail catcher is a bit tougher - especially with luggage

I foresee an increased need for hospitals in the north.
 
Kakato
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

So in other words, not really feasible.

Totally feasible,There's lot's of small airlines that would love a chance to supply anytowns.
Without subsidies and even make money.
Theres probably a lot of folks with their fingers in the pie right now though that dont want to see it end.

They have very few hospitals where I have been,everyone gets flown to Winnipeg but in a ten day blizzard your not going anywhere.
 
CDNBear
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by KakatoView Post

Totally feasible,There's lot's of small airlines that would love a chance to supply anytowns.
Without subsidies and even make money.

Flag stops aren't towns.

Quote:

Theres probably a lot of folks with their fingers in the pie right now though that dont want to see it end.

No doubt.
 
DaSleeper
#26
The fare by bus from here to toronto is $167.70 one way...If the subsidy is 400 per passenger...give it to me and It'll pay for my air fare and I'd get there faster.
 
lone wolf
+2
#27  Top Rated Post
Get the pilot to wave on the way over, eh?
 
CDNBear
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

The fare by bus from here to toronto is $167.70 one way...If the subsidy is 400 per passenger...give it to me and It'll pay for my air fare and I'd get there faster.

Rail travel is no doubt, ridiculously priced out of reach for the average Canadian budget.

But I wonder how much airfares will increase, with the addition of the cost of maintaining small airstrips. Multiple trips in and out to drop off, what the train can drop off in one shot.

Just how many airstrips will small airlines be willing to build. How many will the gov't allow them to build.

And to be honest, this move, sounds the death knell, for a Canadian icon.
 
Kakato
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Rail travel is no doubt, ridiculously priced out of reach for the average Canadian budget.

But I wonder how much airfares will increase, with the addition of the cost of maintaining small airstrips. Multiple trips in and out to drop off, what the train can drop off in one shot.

Just how many airstrips will small airlines be willing to build. How many will the gov't allow them to build.

And to be honest, this move, sounds the death knell, for a Canadian icon.

Calm air has a pretty good infrastructure in Winnipeg,Thompson,Churchill and all points north so I think they could handle it.
There's lots of other airlines that would do it for less then rail transport I,m sure when you factor in what rail costs.
 
CDNBear
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by KakatoView Post

There's lots of other airlines that would do it for less then rail transport I,m sure when you factor in what rail costs.

What about after you factor in what it will cost to maintain the same level of service?
 

Similar Threads

9
Ontario Scr*wed.
by Risus | Mar 29th, 2009
111
Ontario a Have Not?
by Musicman | Sep 6th, 2005
no new posts