Ontario Northland gets the axe

DaSleeper
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Uh huh. Which is why I keep asking him about the flag stops. I remember watching them unload a Suzuki Samurai, off a flatbed rail car, at a flag stop. Using stacks of 2x12's and a whole lot of skill.

Wondering where the hell they were going with it, since I didn't see a road, lol.

It was likely the event that made me interested in 4x4'ing.

It don't need no roads

Kakato

otter quick take off - YouTube

I just sat there in awe,and this guy landed in about 60 feet with 5 passengers.

Nuggler
+1
In the 60's, I used to ride the Canadian from Carleton Place to Sudbury to work at INCO. Forget how much it cost but wasn't much. Had a dome car...........great ride.

That line's long gone, and more to go I guess. From Ottywaw to the Rock you gotta go to T.O. first............costs over $200.00 one way.

Lot of folks cheer for capitalism till it kick em in the nuts.

If'n I was a young man now, I'd be headin to Sask. to harass Petros and Ron in the resource business, drillin shyte and hammerin stuff, haulin stuff................too soon old and too late smart. Still, hasn't been a bad ride so far.

If they tear up the rails and sleepers, can ya make a road out of it??

Quote: Originally Posted by KakatoView Post

otter quick take off - YouTube

I just sat there in awe,and this guy landed in about 60 feet with 5 passengers.

Something else Kakato. Recently watched a doc on bush pilots and bush piloting. They are a magical bunch.

One guy said that before GPS they used MAPS and dead reckoning, and it got interesting in the fog.

CDNBear
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

It don't need no roads

We have one of those cruising the lake during ice season. Only it's a Tracker. And we didn't see him this year, lol.

The one I saw getting offloaded, had wheels, with what I can only describe as aggressive snow tires.

Since then, I've learned that with a little skill, you don't need a monster truck to navigate the bush. Just some skill. The Camel Trophy comes to mind, as a good example of what I'm talking about.

Kakato
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

It don't need no roads

Those suck on the tundra! Best stick with LGP baloon tires.These type tracks are the worst idea anyone ever came up with for the arctic,I changed many on our kubota last year after tapping a 3 inch rock while cruising as they dont flex well at that temperature(-50).

ice road - YouTube

Now this is the ultimate Arctic transportation,a 1961 Alltrac with a 4 cylinder screaming Jimmy in it and an exhaust pipe that runs through the cab to keep you warm.

Here's another vid of the Alltrac,it was my company vehicle at this time as I was trying to keep Meadowbank camp open during winter,lots of fun! The barrels mark the road edges for nightime but for me it was like a racetrack,too bad they took my tunes off the video,sorry Mick Jagger.

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchvXVUnIrFi-BY

Also,the tire on the right front of that tracked truck shows that the tracks arent very tough or he lives in Saskatchewan and needs to keep a tire in a tractor rut so he can grab a nap.
Last edited by Kakato; Mar 24th, 2012 at 02:46 PM..