Ontario Northland gets the axe

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That's BS dude. Memories of Harris.

So many communities depend on the ONL. What a stupid move.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Sounds like someone's getting his head smacked off the public teat!

Government funding has increased 274 per cent from $28 million in 2003 to $103 million this year

Unfortunately Toronto is not the center of the universe anymore,Calgary is.
With more people heading west then east they better have some kind of plan,their auto industry went for a **** long time ago and aside from asking for tax dollars they never really came up with some plan to replace those jobs lost.

No offence guys but if this was a reserve in the north people would be screaming for them to relocate.

Sales revenues have declined from $140 million to just more than $100 million. The current subsidy on the Northlander train is $400 per passenger, and no longer affordable

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I know that area and that operation of old-if they aren't hauling natural resources there is no reason for anything to exist I mean the towns the roads the paltry farms the bare bones existences of the souls who struggle in the blighted frozen bush.

Classic haulers of woods and drawers of water.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
At $400.00 per passenger to subsidize, I think we should phone up buffalo joe and get a steady charter going in then,sounds like opportunity to me.
No doubt rail travel in Canada is extremely expensive.

What does Buffalo Joe charge for flag stops between Cochrane and Moosonee?

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
As regards passenger service no one has taken the train since the 60's and the schedule reflects that it's ll about taking stuff out not shipping people in-that's what the bus is for and I can't see that changing any time soon since Greyhound is cutting back service all over and doesn't even run that that part of the north.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
So do they have road's into those communities served by rail? The article does'nt say.
To the bulk of the stops, no, there aren't any roads. Bill's talking out his ass. Again.

As regards passenger service no one has taken the train since the 60's and the schedule reflects that it's ll about taking stuff out not shipping people in-that's what the bus is for and I can't see that changing any time soon since Greyhound is cutting back service all over and doesn't even run that that part of the north.
Ya, the bus works wonders in the bush with no roads.

Geezus you're an idiot.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
They dont run half the routes they used to,way too many stops.
Rail is still ver expensive,right of ways are the most expensive part with maintenance.
But if they have roads,then lets get some more somalian truck drivers over here and get some **** moving.lol!

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Ya mean I'm just seeing things in that big doggie on the bus?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Annoying. I'm from Timmins. Ontario Northland over charges enough as it is compared to Greyhound. I imagine it'll just go higher now.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
This would be good PR for Joe and Buffalo.
They might jump on it.

Their at the camp I was at one year ago right now filming Arctic air so I can put a bug in someones ear.
Ya, I already asked you how much you think he'll charge for flag stops.