Doctors lobby for higher taxes on wealthy Canadians


mentalfloss
#1
Doctors lobby for higher taxes on wealthy Canadians

TORONTO — A group of doctors is calling on federal and provincial governments to raise income taxes levied on high-income Canadians.

They are launching a campaign to get support for the idea, using the slogan "Tax us. Canada's worth it."

Doctors for Fair Taxation are proposing new surtaxes that would tax any income over $100,000.

People who earn between $100,000 and $170,000 would pay an extra one per cent on the income between those two figures and income between $170,000 and $640,000 would be subject to an extra two per cent levy.

Income over $640,000 and less than $1.85 million would be hit with an additional three per cent and income over $1.85 million would be subject to an additional surtax of six per cent.

The group estimates that the federal government would earn an extra $3.5 billion a year and Ontario would raise an extra $1.7 billion.

One of the organizers of the campaign, Dr. Michael Rachlis, says more than 50 doctors have signed the petition so far. A website hosting the petition will go live Thursday afternoon.

"Our group considers higher taxes a small price to pay for a more civilized Canada," says Rachlis, a public health physician and associate professor at the University of Toronto.

"We're becoming a more economically unequal society and we feel this is bad for our country's health."


Rachlis says the aim of the campaign is to get Canadians who would be paying the higher taxes to indicate their willingness, saying the organizers feel it would carry more weight that way.

Though the campaign has been started by doctors, anyone earning over $100,000 who supports the proposal can sign the petition.

One of the early signatories is Dr. Irfan Dalla, a Toronto-based physician who is also a member of Canadian Doctors for Medicare.

"Governments don't have the resources they need to address some of the causes of ill-health and some of the social programs that people want and need. And I think that people like me who are paid reasonably well can afford to contribute a little bit more to ensure that we have a fair society," Dalla says.

Rachlis says action needs to be taken to spare crucial public programs.

"We feel that this is a moral argument. We cannot talk about throwing people out of work and cutting needed programs for people," he says

"If the situations is that dire that governments are really feeling that that should be done, it seems to me that the only way to think of that is to tax higher-income earners who've seen their taxes fall a lot."

Doctors lobby for higher taxes on wealthy Canadians | CTV Calgary
 
petros
+2
#2
Quote:

Though the campaign has been started by doctors, anyone earning over $100,000 who supports the proposal can sign the petition.

Did you sign the petition to give up an extra G-note Flossy?
 
Cannuck
+1
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Did you sign the petition to give up an extra G-note Flossy?

I will gladly sign it.
 
petros
#4
Why not eh? It's less than 1 day's pay.
 
Cannuck
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Why not eh? It's less than 1 day's pay.

I wish.
 
petros
#6
Nothing stopping you from getting into resources.
 
Cannuck
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Nothing stopping you from getting into resources.

Yes there is. I'm more interested in golfing.
 
petros
#8
Golf in Arizona in winter.
 
Cannuck
-1
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Golf in Arizona in winter.

Gawd no!!!! Far too many seniors down there
 
petros
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Gawd no!!!! Far too many seniors down there

You have to know how to manipulate the daylight hours. The seniors are off the course by 3:30 so they can make the early bird buffet.
 
Cannuck
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

You have to know how to manipulate the daylight hours. The seniors are off the course by 3:30 so they can make the early bird buffet.

I'm usually too drunk to walk by then.
 
petros
#12
Rent a cart.
 
Cannuck
-1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Rent a cart.

I hear they have some nasty Sheriffs down Arizona way. Are you sure that's a good idea. I might meander off the course in my drunken stupor.

Since they have lots of seniors, perhaps I could steal somebody's walker. It depends, I guess, on whether the greens keeper allows those on the greens but it is Arizona so the odds are probably good.
 
taxslave
#14
Well government employees are mostly overpaid so making them give some back isn't all that bad an idea.
 
petros
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Well government employees are mostly overpaid so making them give some back isn't all that bad an idea.

You gotta be joking?
 
taxslave
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

You gotta be joking?

You think they should keep all that money?
 
JLM
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Doctors lobby for higher taxes on wealthy Canadians

TORONTO — A group of doctors is calling on federal and provincial governments to raise income taxes levied on high-income Canadians.

They are launching a campaign to get support for the idea, using the slogan "Tax us. Canada's worth it."

Doctors for Fair Taxation are proposing new surtaxes that would tax any income over $100,000.

People who earn between $100,000 and $170,000 would pay an extra one per cent on the income between those two figures and income between $170,000 and $640,000 would be subject to an extra two per cent levy.

Income over $640,000 and less than $1.85 million would be hit with an additional three per cent and income over $1.85 million would be subject to an additional surtax of six per cent.

The group estimates that the federal government would earn an extra $3.5 billion a year and Ontario would raise an extra $1.7 billion.

One of the organizers of the campaign, Dr. Michael Rachlis, says more than 50 doctors have signed the petition so far. A website hosting the petition will go live Thursday afternoon.

"Our group considers higher taxes a small price to pay for a more civilized Canada," says Rachlis, a public health physician and associate professor at the University of Toronto.

"We're becoming a more economically unequal society and we feel this is bad for our country's health."

Rachlis says the aim of the campaign is to get Canadians who would be paying the higher taxes to indicate their willingness, saying the organizers feel it would carry more weight that way.

Though the campaign has been started by doctors, anyone earning over $100,000 who supports the proposal can sign the petition.

One of the early signatories is Dr. Irfan Dalla, a Toronto-based physician who is also a member of Canadian Doctors for Medicare.

"Governments don't have the resources they need to address some of the causes of ill-health and some of the social programs that people want and need. And I think that people like me who are paid reasonably well can afford to contribute a little bit more to ensure that we have a fair society," Dalla says.

Rachlis says action needs to be taken to spare crucial public programs.

"We feel that this is a moral argument. We cannot talk about throwing people out of work and cutting needed programs for people," he says

"If the situations is that dire that governments are really feeling that that should be done, it seems to me that the only way to think of that is to tax higher-income earners who've seen their taxes fall a lot."

Doctors lobby for higher taxes on wealthy Canadians | CTV Calgary

I'm of two minds about the idea. I've always thought the rich pay a fair tax. However it would inject a considerable amount of money into the system without harming those who can least afford it.

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Well government employees are mostly overpaid so making them give some back isn't all that bad an idea.

I'm of two minds about this. When I first started working for the Gov't under old WAC, while we had good job security our wages were quite frugal and at the time a good 10% behind the private sector. Then we got the Union and had even better job security and better wages, which I think the good employees deserved BUT we picked up even more drones and parasites we were stuck with and that's the problem that has remained to this day. Seniority was a killer. I think to correct this situation Gov't should chop the least productive 25%.
 
petros
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

You think they should keep all that money?

All what money? Govt jobs pay **** all.
 
captain morgan
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

All what money? Govt jobs pay **** all.


That's the trade-off..
 
petros
+1
#20
"Make hay while the sun shines."

The sun shines 16 hours during hay season but Govt only works from 8:00AM to 4:30PM
 
JLM
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

All what money? Govt jobs pay **** all.

Uuuuuuuuuuum, Petros. Overall payroll verses overall productivity, I disagree. In the old days the pay cheque was pretty well the main benefit, now the vacation allotment is very generous and then there is the sh*t like stress leave, maternity leave, and all kinds of sick leave. The system is getting worked to the hilt. I've got nothing against women getting pregnant, particularly the ones who decide to make raising a family their career, but in a lot of cases they work for a couple of years and then qualify for a sh*t load of maternity perks. Hey, YA CAN'T SUCK AND BLOW AT THE SAME TIME!
 
petros
#22
Quote:

sh*t like stress leave, maternity leave, and all kinds of sick leave

Anyone in any job gets those bennys.
 
JLM
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

"Make hay while the sun shines."

The sun shines 16 hours during hay season but Govt only works from 8:00AM to 4:30PM

Minus a few coffee breaks, piss breaks and an hour for lunch!
 
petros
#24
1/2 hr lunch on your time. If it was paid they'd close at 4:00PM
 
TenPenny
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Anyone in any job gets those bennys.

Not at the amounts that federal gov't employees get.

And self employed people don't get maternity leave, or paid vacations.
 
petros
#26
Self Employed no bennys? Who is going to tell you that you can't take time off?
 
lone wolf
+3
#27  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Self Employed no bennys? Who is going to tell you that you can't take time off?

Bill collectors, mostly....
 
petros
#28
Don't fall behind.

Employment Insurance Special Benefits for Self-Employed People (external - login to view)

Self-employed Canadians can access Employment Insurance (EI) special benefits. There are four types of EI special benefits:
  • maternity (external - login to view) benefits;
  • parental (external - login to view) benefits;
  • sickness (external - login to view) benefits; and
  • compassionate care (external - login to view) benefits.
 
JLM
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Self Employed no bennys? Who is going to tell you that you can't take time off?

But are you going to be able to return to work when you want to?
 
lone wolf
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Don't fall behind.

Employment Insurance Special Benefits for Self-Employed People (external - login to view)

Self-employed Canadians can access Employment Insurance (EI) special benefits. There are four types of EI special benefits:

  • maternity (external - login to view) benefits;
  • parental (external - login to view) benefits;
  • sickness (external - login to view) benefits; and
  • compassionate care (external - login to view) benefits.

Unless you already have a great cushion and no competition, "don't fall behind" is much easier said than done
 
no new posts