Doctors lobby for higher taxes on wealthy Canadians


petros
#31
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Unless you already have a great cushion and no competition, "don't fall behind" is much easier said than done

Perhaps you should be taking a smaller draw if your salary puts your company in jeopardy.
 
TenPenny
#32
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Don't fall behind.

Employment Insurance Special Benefits for Self-Employed People (external - login to view)


Self-employed Canadians can access Employment Insurance (EI) special benefits. There are four types of EI special benefits:

  • maternity (external - login to view) benefits;
  • parental (external - login to view) benefits;
  • sickness (external - login to view) benefits; and
  • compassionate care (external - login to view) benefits.

Do you know of any GPs who bill fee-for-service who can collect EI benefits?
 
petros
#33
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

But are you going to be able to return to work when you want to?

Why not? If your "self employed" pogey runs out you're in the same boat as anyone else.
 
lone wolf
#34
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Perhaps you should be taking a smaller draw if your salary puts your company in jeopardy.

Methinks you just drew a big one....
 
petros
#35
Youthunks?
 
Kakato
#36
Self employed can get benefits like EI but you have to pay for them.Givin the way that service Canada is running right now with their work to rule plot It's not worth it as most claims are taking up to 3 months to process.Service Canada workers are actually telling EI applicants to go on welfare untill they catch up.
 
petros
#37
Quote:

Service Canada workers are actually telling EI applicants to go on welfare untill they catch up.

That's not new. The Province gets what they pay out back from from your EI.
 
Kakato
#38
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

That's not new. The Province gets what they pay out back from from your EI.

The 3 months it takes to get any money is new,I dealt with them a while back and have a few other buddies going through the same thing.They had lots of workers cut so this is kind of their way of passing their pain on to the public.I have never before been told to go ask welfare for a loan while EI kicks in.
Anyone dealing with service Canada right now knows exactly what I mean,just try logging into their site and good luck.Getting ahold of an agent can take a month.
 
petros
#39
Must be too busy dealing with ON claims.
 
Kakato
#40
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Must be too busy dealing with ON claims.

No,they laid off a bunch of them,thats why the ****ty service and slowboating from them.When you finally get ahold of an agent they will spend 20 minutes telling you how swamped they are.
 
earth_as_one
#41
I left the Federal civil service and went to private industry 12 years ago because I made about 25% more money for doing essentially the same work. I went independent 4 years ago and got another 25% increase. I'm making about 50% more now than as a civil servant, but I am responsible for my own pension. However I expect that in future a conservative government will axe civil servant pensions, so I believe I am much further ahead.

I now earn over 6 figures, and I think I should have to pay more income tax. I've never had a problem with paying taxes, because they provide services like roads, schools and hospitals. I have a problem with the way politicians spend money. I am against corporate bail outs, wasteful government programs and interest payments resulting from deficit financing.
 
lone wolf
+1
#42
Quote: Originally Posted by KakatoView Post

The 3 months it takes to get any money is new,I dealt with them a while back and have a few other buddies going through the same thing.They had lots of workers cut so this is kind of their way of passing their pain on to the public.I have never before been told to go ask welfare for a loan while EI kicks in.
Anyone dealing with service Canada right now knows exactly what I mean,just try logging into their site and good luck.Getting ahold of an agent can take a month.

That "passing on the pain" is the one union tactic that, in my mind, overturns any good a union may be. Why drag me into the fight?
 
Kakato
+1
#43
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

That "passing on the pain" is the one union tactic that, in my mind, overturns any good a union may be. Why drag me into the fight?

Exactly,and after it became obvious what they were doing it became worse.The trick is to not ever shut down your claim I guess,like some folks do.

Quote:

In past years, EI staff put in overtime to clear up a fall backlog as seasonal workers were laid off.
But this year the union said staff across the country were told no overtime.
Service Canada is moving to consolidate its EI processing and call centres, and the office in Montague is slated to close in March 2014.
Just getting someone on the phone these days can take more than a week.
“I’ve been told they’re waiting up to 11 days before they’re receiving a call back ,” said Donna MacDonald, for the Public Service Alliance of Canada.

 
coldstream
#44
Yeah.. its time to bring back real progressive taxation to Canada. And especially taxing capital gains at the full marginal rate.. and that should be at 75% for income over $1 million. It used to be 90% in Canada and the U.S. before the Free Market lobby decided that the grotesquely indulgent rich were a 'gift' to the poor.. it would all 'trickle' down.

As proven by the disastrous state of the economy its one of many classical 'liberal' economic principles that have proved disastrous. Those include Free Trade, deregulation (especially of the financial sector), monetarism (free markets in currency and credit) and privatization. The results have been catastrophic and getting worse.
Last edited by coldstream; Mar 23rd, 2012 at 12:32 PM..
 
JLM
+1
#45
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

I left the Federal civil service and went to private industry 12 years ago because I made about 25% more money for doing essentially the same work. I went independent 4 years ago and got another 25% increase. I'm making about 50% more now than as a civil servant, but I am responsible for my own pension. However I expect that in future a conservative government will axe civil servant pensions, so I believe I am much further ahead.

I now earn over 6 figures, and I think I should have to pay more income tax. I've never had a problem with paying taxes, because they provide services like roads, schools and hospitals. I have a problem with the way politicians spend money. I am against corporate bail outs, wasteful government programs and interest payments resulting from deficit financing.

You can effectively correct that situation, choose your favourite charity that is supported by taxes and send them 116% of the amount you figure you're shorting them on taxes, if you claim it as a charity donation you should get the 16% back.

Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

Yeah.. its time to bring back real progressive taxation to Canada. And especially taxing capital gains at the full marginal rate.. and that should be at 75% for income over $1 million. It used to be 90% in Canada and the U.S. before the Free Market lobby decided that the grotesquely indulgent rich were a 'gift' to the poor.. it would all 'trickle' down.

As proven by the disastrous state of the economy its one of many classical 'liberal' economic principles that have proved disastrous. Those include Free Trade, deregulation (especially of the financial sector), monetarism (free markets in currency and credit) and privatization. The results have been catastrophic and getting worse.

Have to agree to disagree with you. Money invested in capital gains is generally at high risk, probably at least a quarter of the time it works out to be a capital loss.
 
earth_as_one
#46
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

You can effectively correct that situation, choose your favourite charity that is supported by taxes and send them 116% of the amount you figure you're shorting them on taxes, if you claim it as a charity donation you should get the 16% back.

I'd do that if everyone who makes the same or more than me does the same. Otherwise it would just be a tax on the compassionate.

The only fair way is to increase the taxes for the wealthy.

By the way I do make charitable donations. My favorite charity is "Doctors Without Borders".
 
Cannuck
#47
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

I left the Federal civil service and went to private industry 12 years ago because I made about 25% more money for doing essentially the same work. I went independent 4 years ago and got another 25% increase. I'm making about 50% more now than as a civil servant, but I am responsible for my own pension. However I expect that in future a conservative government will axe civil servant pensions, so I believe I am much further ahead.

I now earn over 6 figures, and I think I should have to pay more income tax. I've never had a problem with paying taxes, because they provide services like roads, schools and hospitals. I have a problem with the way politicians spend money. I am against corporate bail outs, wasteful government programs and interest payments resulting from deficit financing.

Yup, I made way more money in the private sector. I took my public sector job because of the benefit to my family life. As my kids got older I started up my own business. Within a few years, the youngest will graduate high school and I will most likely leave the public service to focus on my company. People that are interested in making money generally don't work in the public service.
 
TenPenny
+1
#48
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

I'd do that if everyone who makes the same or more than me does the same. Otherwise it would just be a tax on the compassionate.

You always have a cop out if anyone asks you to actually do something that you claim you want to do.
 
taxslave
+1
#49
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

I left the Federal civil service and went to private industry 12 years ago because I made about 25% more money for doing essentially the same work. I went independent 4 years ago and got another 25% increase. I'm making about 50% more now than as a civil servant, but I am responsible for my own pension. However I expect that in future a conservative government will axe civil servant pensions, so I believe I am much further ahead.

I now earn over 6 figures, and I think I should have to pay more income tax. I've never had a problem with paying taxes, because they provide services like roads, schools and hospitals. I have a problem with the way politicians spend money. I am against corporate bail outs, wasteful government programs and interest payments resulting from deficit financing.

So give your excess money to me. I have never had too much. Or you can donate it to charity. The rest of us want lower taxes so we can keep more of OUR money.

Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

I'd do that if everyone who makes the same or more than me does the same. Otherwise it would just be a tax on the compassionate.

The only fair way is to increase the taxes for the wealthy.

By the way I do make charitable donations. My favorite charity is "Doctors Without Borders".

Did it ever occur to you that not everyone is as stupid with money as you? Who in their right mind wants to work hard to give the money to freeloaders?
 
MHz
#50
"People who earn between $100,000 and $170,000 would pay an extra one per cent on the income between those two figures and income between $170,000 and $640,000 would be subject to an extra two per cent levy."

How about Zero taxes under $100K, $100> X%, $171> X+1%, etc. and then give everybody a base salary based on those figures. For examples no salary in the just below the threshold mark, they would always be just one over the minimum. A Dr. would be $1 over the $1>1.85M mark (jumps by 5% would be better as you don't need to make more than you can possibly spend in the same period)

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

So give your excess money to me. I have never had too much. Or you can donate it to charity. The rest of us want lower taxes so we can keep more of OUR money.



Did it ever occur to you that not everyone is as stupid with money as you? Who in their right mind wants to work hard to give the money to freeloaders?

Either that or have you laid off from full-time work so there are no person who don't get a certain amount of work in yearly. You income still takes a hit and theirs gets the boost it need to bring their level up. (that doesn't elevate them to a higher status than you so quit your bellyaching that points to an anti hoarding society as far as money is concerned.
 
JLM
+1
#51
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

"People who earn between $100,000 and $170,000 would pay an extra one per cent on the income between those two figures and income between $170,000 and $640,000 would be subject to an extra two per cent levy."

How about Zero taxes under $100K, $100> X%, $171> X+1%, etc. and then give everybody a base salary based on those figures. For examples no salary in the just below the threshold mark, they would always be just one over the minimum. A Dr. would be $1 over the $1>1.85M mark (jumps by 5% would be better as you don't need to make more than you can possibly spend in the same period)


Either that or have you laid off from full-time work so there are no person who don't get a certain amount of work in yearly. You income still takes a hit and theirs gets the boost it need to bring their level up. (that doesn't elevate them to a higher status than you so quit your bellyaching that points to an anti hoarding society as far as money is concerned.

You might want to learn to write coherently, and THEN you can hope to think coherently!
 
coldstream
#52
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Have to agree to disagree with you. Money invested in capital gains is generally at high risk, probably at least a quarter of the time it works out to be a capital loss.

Capital gains is the NET of capital gains and losses. It is that net that should be taxed.. and at the full marginal rate.. with the sole exception of primary residence.. It is ridiculous to tax honest labour at punitive rate as compared to unearned investment income. It shows you how skewed and amoral our views of real economic activity have become.. preached by Wall Street and university economics departments.. which has created a parasitic parallel economy.. that saps the lifeblood out of the real productive economy.
 
JLM
#53
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

Capital gains is the NET of capital gains and losses. It is that net that should be taxed.. and at the full marginal rate.. with the sole exception of primary residence.. It is ridiculous to tax honest labour at punitive rate as compared to unearned investment income. It shows you how skewed and amoral our views of real economic activity have become.. preached by Wall Street and university economics departments.. which has created a parasitic parallel economy.. that saps the lifeblood out of the real productive economy.

I'm definitely no expert on the matter, but if Capital gains were taxed at the full rate, how would that affect business ventures attacting investments? When you go to work, generally speaking your wage (unless the employer is very corrupt) is a sure thing, when you invest there is risk, so sorry I still have to agree to disagree.
 
coldstream
#54
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I'm definitely no expert on the matter, but if Capital gains were taxed at the full rate, how would that affect business ventures attacting investments? When you go to work, generally speaking your wage (unless the employer is very corrupt) is a sure thing, when you invest there is risk, so sorry I still have to agree to disagree.

In fact the vast majority of 'investments' now are not in productive activities.. but are pure speculation in the Global currency casino. Certainly when progressive taxes were applied to capital gains we had much more orderly and predictable market operations (in the 1950s and 60s) as to when they were dismantled starting in the 1970s.

At that former time the government was pro-actively involved in seeing that investment capital was available through advantageous interest rate and credit policies, and corporate tax incentives.. and investees tended to leave capital in for the long term to save investment income for retirement.. rather than chasing supercharged profits that have been invented through derivative operation on todays unregulated markets. As we have seen this has all led to a vast polarization of wealth.. and a collapse of the real productive economy.
 
JLM
#55
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

You might want to learn to write coherently, and THEN you can hope to think coherently!

I see Einstein has been trying to do some more thinking- two more red ones.
 
no new posts