Chicago couple charged for leaving kids behind for Vegas trip

Locutus
Two Chicago parents left their two children alone for the weekend while they flew to Las Vegas for the weekend with some friends.

Shanpreta Howard and Antowain Johnson were charged with child endangerment after they left their 9-year-old daughter and the-12-year-old son alone to fend for themselves.

The couple left Chicago on the evening of Wednesday February 22 and did not return until Friday afternoon.

Read more: Parents 'leave young children alone for TWO DAYS while they jet off to Las Vegas for party weekend | Mail Online

Chicago Couple Charged For Leaving Kids Behind For Vegas Trip | Fox News (external - login to view)

Awwww...Shanpreta and Antowain:

SLM
What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. What happens elsewhere will get you charged and arrested. That's out of the way. So, from the article:

Quote:

The young siblings were put into the care of their aunt while their parents partied in Las Vegas, cruising down the famous strip with a group of friends.

So were they left to fend for themselves or not?

Colpy
+1
#3  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. What happens elsewhere will get you charged and arrested. That's out of the way. So, from the article:

One begins to suspect the Nanny State at work again........children, according to the Blessed States, are helpless until they are 18.......

Cliffy
Children used to marry at puberty. When did we stop allowing that again?

Colpy
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Children used to marry at puberty. When did we stop allowing that again?

Actually, if you are talking about Early Modern or medieval history, that is a misconception.

In Early Modern Europe, in the poorer classes, children usually did not marry until their parents were dead and they could inherit what little there was.......so in their early 20s, as the lifespan was about 45 years.

The rich married off their girls younger, often in the mid-teens, and often to men much older......

But at puberty??/

Naw....not in western society.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

One begins to suspect the Nanny State at work again........children, according to the Blessed States, are helpless until they are 18.......

It's a really poorly written article.

They're not helpless, no but personally I wouldn't leave a 12 year old in charge of a younger sibling for an extended overnight period, that's a bit young for that kind of responsibility, in my opinion. After school care, sure. For an evening, sure maybe. But not overnight.

Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Actually, if you are talking about Early Modern or medieval history, that is a misconception.

In Early Modern Europe, in the poorer classes, children usually did not marry until their parents were dead and they could inherit what little there was.......so in their early 20s, as the lifespan was about 45 years.

The rich married off their girls younger, often in the mid-teens, and often to men much older......

But at puberty??/

Naw....not in western society.

And I was just going to quip "Around the time adults started dying at 40" but then you had to go an be all authentic about it and everything.

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Two Chicago parents left their two children alone for the weekend while they flew to Las Vegas for the weekend with some friends.

Shanpreta Howard and Antowain Johnson were charged with child endangerment after they left their 9-year-old daughter and the-12-year-old son alone to fend for themselves.

The couple left Chicago on the evening of Wednesday February 22 and did not return until Friday afternoon.

Chicago Couple Charged For Leaving Kids Behind For Vegas Trip | Fox News (external - login to view)

Awwww...Shanpreta and Antowain:

Makes sense to me, Las Vegas is no place for kids anyway.

taxslave

Apparently having an aunt babysit is not adequate for our nanny state social workers. Didn't seem to have much effect on the media looking for a story either.

Locutus
Someone might have interviewed the Aunt and the school (that called the cops) and finally asked the kids why they considered themselves 'alone'.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Apparently having an aunt babysit is not adequate for our nanny state social workers. Didn't seem to have much effect on the media looking for a story either.

That story is very confusing. The kids were all alone, but were left in care of an aunt? What does that mean? It would be helpful to have someone who has a vague understanding of journalism to write the article, but those days are long gone.

I admit, I find the 'what happens in vegas, stays in vegas' idea to be, on the one hand, a great marketing slogan, yet on the other, an insult to society.

The whole point is to suggest that you can go there and be completely immoral, with no consequences. If that's what you want, I suppose, it's a good idea. But it reminds me too much of salesmen at conventions.

petros
+1
Quote:

It would be helpful to have someone who has a vague understanding of journalism to write the article, but those days are long gone.

Journalism died years ago.

EagleSmack
I remember my parents went away to a funeral and my Aunt came and stayed in our house for two days. Were my parents negligent?

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

I remember my parents went away to a funeral and my Aunt came and stayed in our house for two days. Were my parents negligent?

That depends... Did you take good care of your aunt?

petros
+1
One of my aunts makes the best goddam hooch ever.

JLM
I don't know what the big deal is- the kids were 9 and 12, probably at the most responsible age they'll ever be. Now if they were 15 and 17 you could expect them to bet into mischief. I'd be more concerned about the behaviour of the parents down in Vegas.

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

One of my aunts makes the best goddam hooch ever.

Oooooooooooh, that explains some of your posts!

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

That depends... Did you take good care of your aunt?

lmao.

We didn't go nuts on her. However, she lived in the projects of South Boston and had 6 kids. I'm sure it was a vacation for her.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Oooooooooooh, that explains some of your posts!

I wish. I can't drink thanks to an allgery.

JLM

I wish. I can't drink thanks to an allgery.

Yeah, I used to be allergic to booze too. Every time I drank it I got drunk.

petros
I get 4 day hangovers from a six pack. That is more than enough of a reason for me.

JLM

I get 4 day hangovers from a six pack. That is more than enough of a reason for me.

I'll never forget the hangover I had when I was about 19 from chug a lugging a mickey of Gilby's Lemon gin straight. Rotgut wine the same thing. I believe it was 999.

TenPenny
Lemon gin? The panty remover! Why were YOU drinking it?

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I'll never forget the hangover I had when I was about 19 from chug a lugging a mickey of Gilby's Lemon gin straight. Rotgut wine the same thing. I believe it was 999.

Nothing says "I lust you" more than a bottle of methyl alcochol.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Lemon gin? The panty remover! Why were YOU drinking it?

Took a sip and it tasted good.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Did a quick google search on it before I left for work and, according to a few other articles apparently the Aunt was contacted by the police.

Just an FYI to everyone who's mentioned that aspect of the story.

shadowshiv
+1

Did a quick google search on it before I left for work and, according to a few other articles apparently the Aunt was contacted by the police.

Just an FYI to everyone who's mentioned that aspect of the story.

So the aunt wasn't looking after the kids, after all? The whole thing seems kind of confusing.

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

So the aunt wasn't looking after the kids, after all? The whole thing seems kind of confusing.

It's the selling of the papers that's important right?

shadowshiv

It's the selling of the papers that's important right?

Yep.

I'm surprised no one mentioned what was on the television screen in the picture in the OP.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

Yep.

I'm surprised no one mentioned what was on the television screen in the picture in the OP.

Casa Erotica? LOL