Heard Immigration Minister Kenny on the CBC This Week

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
He said two significant things:

1. Regarding refugees from Europe and how Canada is taking too many from there such as Roma because Europe has democracies. He said we know they are Roma anecdotally, "We don't keep ethnic statistics on this matter." So, the govt of Canada is willing to keep racial statistics on Canadians, but not foreigners such as refugees?. Hmm, seems a little inconsistent here. He might want to have a look at the Indian Act and the Census forms that ask questions about race and background.

2. He says, as we all know, there are about one million people on a waiting list to immigrate to Canada. He said, "We are legally obligated to these people." No we're not, these people are not Canadians, this law needs to be changed, pronto. People who apply to Canada should impose no legal obligation whatsoever on the country. It is a privilege to apply to live or visit Canada. Foreigners aren't protected under our laws. A waiting list of one million or ten million is irrelevant.

Applying to immigrate to Canada first of all is is a privilege, Canada has no obligation toward foreigners and the applicant has no claim on moving to the country. It should be like a deposit on hockey tickets, you make your deposit, and if you change your mind on them, you don't get your deposit back. If your application to come to Canada is successful, your deposit is applied toward the rest of the immigration process which has further fees. You spend your money and take your chances for the privilege of living in Canada. These fees don't have to be crazy high, but the legal obligation idea is a joke and has to end.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
So long as the law is there then there is a legal obligation. I doubt it'll change anytime soon. I also wouldnt compare applying for citizenship to buying hockey tickets. Thats a little insane.

Applying to immigrate to Canada first of all is is a privilege, Canada has no obligation toward foreigners and the applicant has no claim on moving to the country. It should be like a deposit on hockey tickets, you make your deposit, and if you change your mind on them, you don't get your deposit back. If your application to come to Canada is successful, your deposit is applied toward the rest of the immigration process which has further fees. You spend your money and take your chances for the privilege of living in Canada. These fees don't have to be crazy high, but the legal obligation idea is a joke and has to end.

Yes, lets bring back the Head Tax!

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
So long as the law is there then there is a legal obligation. I doubt it'll change anytime soon. I also wouldnt compare applying for citizenship to buying hockey tickets. Thats a little insane.

Changing the law here could easily be done by cabinet.

The idea with hockey tickets is that the club can cancel your tickets or move your seat on a whim, and you can't do much. There is no contract created in the regular sense. There is much less cost and administrative hassle this way. The immigration has too many tricks to waste our taxes with no benefit for Canadians.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I missed the head tax part last time. So, if we don't let the immigration lobby have the run of the country, it's a head tax. Whatever Canada does, is discrimination. Your guilt complex is quite deep.

I feel no guilt for anything I didn't directly cause. I am not my ancestors and the people who were discriminated against at that time are long dead.

It just seems strange to be anti-immigrant in a country that was build by immigrants.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I feel no guilt for anything I didn't directly cause. I am not my ancestors and the people who were discriminated against at that time are long dead.

It just seems strange to be anti-immigrant in a country that was build by immigrants.

The multicutlural ideology of being pro-immigration is just too much these days. You're not supposed to ask anyone if they're an immigrant, that's offensive. Everyone's a Canada. I'm not an immigrant nor are most Canadians living in the country today. So we praise those ancestors that came from elsewhere, from countries that no longer mean much to us. So we're temps here, just immigrants, passing through; or here for a good time perhaps, not a long time.

Screw the idea Canada is a country of immigrants. You can roll over and play dead. I'm not neutral about Canada.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You're not supposed to ask anyone if they're an immigrant, that's offensive.
You aren't? It is?

I ask all the time. I'm naturally curious. I like to talk to people from other places, about where they're from. How their life was there. What made them choose Canada. How they like it here. And so on.

Maybe it's just you they find offensive.

Everyone's a Canada.
Is that like saying everyones an island?

I'm not an immigrant nor are most Canadians living in the country today. So we praise those ancestors that came from elsewhere, from countries that no longer mean much to us.
Funny how you use the word praise. Since you admonish Natives for similar praise they place up on Elders.

I'm not neutral about Canada.
Or well informed.

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The multicutlural ideology of being pro-immigration is just too much these days. You're not supposed to ask anyone if they're an immigrant, that's offensive.
What a crock! People love to talk about their histories, share their culture with others. Every single immigrant I've ever met has been open and has always appreciated having someone take an interest.

But it will depend on how you ask. If the implications of your posts are any indication, you might want to watch your tone.

Everyone's a Canada.

And that means what exactly? That you didn't proof read?

I'm not an immigrant nor are most Canadians living in the country today. So we praise those ancestors that came from elsewhere, from countries that no longer mean much to us. So we're temps here, just immigrants, passing through; or here for a good time perhaps, not a long time.

So we can praise our ancestors but newer Canadians can't praise theirs? Is that your beef today?

Screw the idea Canada is a country of immigrants. You can roll over and play dead. I'm not neutral about Canada.

No you're not neutral about much. Far too much bitterness for that. Please do not purport yourself to embody anything Canadian, you're an embarrassment to those of us that actually are.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm not an immigrant nor are most Canadians living in the country today. So we praise those ancestors that came from elsewhere, from countries that no longer mean much to us. So we're temps here, just immigrants, passing through; or here for a good time perhaps, not a long time.

No, you're not an immigrant. But seeing as you are not native you are the descendant of immigrants who likely had to deal with people like you when they first came over. You know, the people who were born here or who's ancestors came several generations earlier.

Canada IS a country of immigrants. They designed and built it. If no immigrants had come here there would be no Canada,

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
No, you're not an immigrant. But seeing as you are not native you are the descendant of immigrants who likely had to deal with people like you when they first came over. You know, the people who were born here or who's ancestors came several generations earlier.

Canada IS a country of immigrants. They designed and built it. If no immigrants had come here there would be no Canada,

You may buy into the idea that Canada is stolen land and aboriginals 'technically" still own Canada. This allows the lawyers-white and aboriginal, to endless debate this topic at public expense ad nauseum. You feel like a temp, fine, I don't. I would like this issue discussed more and a decisive decision made on it. I think too many have guilt over this, which inhibits openness and discussion. If

Canada is a country of immigrants, is there another 'country of " ". Fill in the blank. Say use China or France as an example.

Meanwhile, more Attawaspiskats languish out there and aboriginals are not getting the education and job skills they require to survive, and they are getting sicker with diseases like TB and their suicide rates are off the charts. Aboriginals get $10,000 per head, per year, and most is wasted by lawyers and leaders. I say give it to the people.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
This is not technically correct. Canada was built by Europeans. To say just immigrants is not correct. Other immigrants from other countries did not start coming to Canada almost until after ww2, after all the infrastructure was in place (besides the Chinese who came earlier). These immigrants from south Asia, for instance, could not build sh^t, that's why they settled where the Europeans were. They never build a city of there own anywhere in N America, they could only survive if they were associated with europeans.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com

Canada is an extension of Europe, we speak languages that are spoken in Europe, English and French, the former dominating. We all jumped from tree to tree and then came out of Africa. Aboriginals are immigrants too, except they came so long ago they actually can't remember Asia. Canada is unlike most countries in that it was made far after old countries like China and France, who are indigenous to their countries because they don't have a story of coming from somewhere else. We do. In the history of the world, people fought for land, some won, some lost. Which we are reminded of when articles say there are over 5000 languages and only 200 countries.

The fed govt needs to have an immigration application system where if the govt doesn't get back to you in a year, your application is dead and you can reapply. No backlog will exist, a very practical we'll call you if we need you system. Like applying for a job.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Not everyone in the world wants to come to Canada. I know a woman, with no connections, immigrated here. She is from Europe, came with 2 kids, in her late 30s. Has a good job now.
So what's the problem?

Canada is an extension of Europe, we speak languages that are spoken in Europe, English and French, the former dominating.
Chinese and Indians have been here 160 years.