France - Serial Killer - Targets minorities -arrested??

Goober
French shooting suspect Mohamed Merah arrested after Toulouse siege | News | National Post

There are conflicting reports this morning about whether a gunman suspected of killing seven people in the name of al-Qaeda, including three children at a Jewish school, had been arrested by police.

Local media reported the 12-hour siege in southwestern France had ended in the arrest of the suspect, identified as Mohamed Merah. Those reports have now been denied by the French Interior Minister but President Nicolas Sarkozy was expected to speak to the nation shortly

Merah had been arrested for bomb making in the southern Afghan province of Kandahar in 2007 but escaped months later in a Taliban prison break, the director of prisons in Kandahar said.

Merah, a French citizen of Algerian origin, was suspected of killing seven people in the name of al Qaeda, including three children at a Jewish school in southwestern France.

Kandahar prison chief Ghulam Faruq said that security forces detained Merah on Dec. 19, 2007, and he was sentenced to three years in jail for planting bombs in Kandahar province, the Talibanís birthplace.

BBC News - France minister Gueant denies Toulouse gunman arrest (external - login to view)
BBC News - Live: French shootings raid (external - login to view)

petros
+1
#2  Top Rated Post
Not arrested according to RadioOne

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Not arrested according to RadioOne

I realize that it was ongoing.

Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

I realize that it was ongoing.

Toulouse siege: Shooting suspect Mohamed Merah arrest denied by French officials | News | National Post

French police continue to lay siege to an apartment block where a self-declared al-Qaeda militant suspected of committing a series of deadly attacks on troops and Jewish children is holed up.

Local media had earlier reported the hours long siege in southwestern France had ended in the arrest of the suspect, identified as Mohamed Merah. Those reports have now been denied by French Interior Minister Claude Gueant.

Gunfire erupted as members of the RAID police special forces team tried to storm Merahís apartment in a residential district of Toulouse in a pre-dawn raid, and two officers were wounded, Gueant said.

Officials said that Merah, a 23-year-old Frenchman of Algerian descent who has visited Afghanistan and Pakistan, bragged of being an al-Qaeda member and said he had killed to avenge the deaths of Palestinian children.

Blackleaf
+1
How did I know the man is Muslim?

I must be psychic.

Locutus
Explosions Heard At French Gunman Siege Site

Toulouse Armed Stand-Off: Gunman Mohammed Merah In Shoot-Out With Police After Seven Murders | World News | Sky News

Locutus
Here's what is left of his apartment post-raid.

L39appartement de mohamed Merah juste aprs le raid - YouTube