Canadian Tire pleads guilty to gas price fixing

mentalfloss
Looks like its time for more regulation.

petros
+1
#3  Top Rated Post
Go for it. It'll cost more in the long run.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Go for it. It'll cost more in the long run.

Yea, just like our regulation on banks cost us more than the U.S. after 2008.

petros
+1
The cost of regulating independant retailers nationwide is nothing like regulating banking under a handful of H.O.s

taxslave
+1
Now I am all in favor of lower gas prices but isn't regulation just another form of price fixing? Especially if no one is permitted to charge less?

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

The cost of regulating independant retailers nationwide is nothing like regulating banking under a handful of H.O.s

Send me some quotes.

petros
Quote:

And you can't have a prosperous economy when the government is way overspending, raising tax rates, printing too much money, over regulating and restricting free trade. It just can't be done.

Arthur Laffer (external - login to view)

Quote:

Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?

Sun Tzu (external - login to view)

mentalfloss
Laffer? lol

Why don't you just post the Laffer curve.

TenPenny
NB, NS, and PEI have gas price regulation.

Here in NB, the max is set weekly, based on the wholesale price at the NY rack. While it's listed as the max price, I rarely see anyone go more than 1 cent under, although Costco was offering some really good deals.

JLM
+1
I'm not sure that that is any worse than any of their other nefarious acts......................like selling junk!

B00Mer

L Gilbert
I'd rather have a little regulation than more unbridled crony capitalism.

Kakato
+1
Next thing you know they will be printing their own money.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by KakatoView Post

Next thing you know they will be printing their own money.

There was the little Mom & Pop variety store when I was a kid that would accept Canadian Tire money for candy purchases from the kids. lol

He'd just go use it at Canadian Tire.

damngrumpy
I am not in favor of government setting the price unless the industry proves it is irresponsible
and not acting in the national interest. Before you get too upset what is needed here is a
conviction and serious punishment. For instance the fine should reflect the offence and the
fine money should not be allowed to be passed onto consumers it should come out of the
pocket of shareholders and the Board Of Directors. The second part of this would be to put
that company on probation for a period of time making them justify their actions and proving
they could be responsible. In other words only the convicted company would see stiffer and
I mean stiffer regulation for the probation period

petros
Fuel taxes are a cash cow. I don't want govt playing games to make up shortages.

CDNBear
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

There was the little Mom & Pop variety store when I was a kid that would accept Canadian Tire money for candy purchases from the kids. lol

He'd just go use it at Canadian Tire.

Years ago, I was working at the Meikle mine in Carlin Nevada, I stopped to get some smokes at an out of the way convenience store.

We had a wad of CT cash in the glove box. My buddy dared me to use it to buy smokes.

I took the money, but had second thoughts as I made my way into the store.

When I stepped up to the counter and asked for the smokes, I was met with...

"Where you from boy? You sure do talk weird."

I told him where I was from, and proceeded to explain that all I had was Canadian money, and I would pay him double the face value.

He accepted.
Last edited by CDNBear; Mar 21st, 2012 at 07:15 PM..

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Years ago, I was working at the Meikle mine in Carlin Nevada, I stopped to get some smokes at an out of the way convenience store.

We had a wad of CT cah in the glove box. My buddy dared me to use it to buy smokes.

I took the money, but had second thoughts as I made my way into the store.

When I stepped up to the counter and asked for the smokes, I was met with...

"Where you from boy? You sure do talk weird."

I told him where I was from, and proceeded to explain that all I had was Canadian money, and I would pay him double the face value.

He accepted.

That is too frigging funny!!! LOL