Kanesatake Grand Chief refuses salary

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
well, let's see if dumpy can turn this into a negative.

APTN National News
In order to help his community with its crushing debt and many financial struggles, Grand Chief Serge Otsi Simon of the Elected Council of Kanesatake is refusing to accept his salary.
Simon is a successful businessman, and he says that this “small step” is about the principle of working for the people of Kanesatake, and not the government.
Kanesatake has a debt burden of three million dollars, and the community’s housing, health, and education are all struggling under the load.

Kanesatake Grand Chief refuses salary | APTN National News

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
well, let's see if dumpy can turn this into a negative.

I have no doubt that he can. He does use some extremely convoluted logic.

Sadly I also have no doubt that he will. Or maybe he only likes it when he posts the threads, I'm not sure.

APTN National News
In order to help his community with its crushing debt and many financial struggles, Grand Chief Serge Otsi Simon of the Elected Council of Kanesatake is refusing to accept his salary.
Simon is a successful businessman, and he says that this “small step” is about the principle of working for the people of Kanesatake, and not the government.
Kanesatake has a debt burden of three million dollars, and the community’s housing, health, and education are all struggling under the load.

Kanesatake Grand Chief refuses salary | APTN National News

What a refreshing individual! I sincerely wish there were a few like him in Ottawa or in any of the provincial legislatures. Imagine, putting the needs of your constituents/community ahead of your own? Why one might actually think he cares and is interested in furthering the development of his community. :)

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
This is good, the public sees taxes going to reserves with little improvment in them over many years. For a very long time there appeared to be no action taken to improve the lives aboriginals living on reserves. This is progress, another chief reduces his salary to help others who are politically and economically oppressed. He said he is working for his people, not the govt, and evidence has to be presented on a regular basis to prove this.

Annapolis might have been a push for this as the campaign for lower salary for the chief came from the membership. You need movement at the leadership level and the grassroots for this to continue.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
This is good, the public
You mean you}
sees taxes going to reserves with little improvment in them over many years. For a very long time there appeared to be no action taken to improve the lives aboriginals living on reserves. This is progress, another chief reduces his salary to help others who are politically and economically oppressed. He said he is working for his people, not the govt, and evidence has to be presented on a regular basis to prove this.
But refusing a salary isn't evidence?
BTW, I've posted a few instances of progress in the past and you seem to conveniently forget them.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You mean you}

It's cute how he thinks he speaks for everybody isn't it?

But refusing a salary isn't evidence?

Evidence is only evidence when it proves the point that supports a predetermined view. For some people.

BTW, I've posted a few instances of progress in the past and you seem to conveniently forget them.

I think some people believe that each thread exists in a vacuum, at least it sure seems that way. Definitely makes it easier to ignore their own cumulative expressed opinions since it makes them look bad to view things in that way.