Bruce Power close to firing up refurbished reactor


Locutus
#1
OWEN SOUND, ONT - Canada’s nuclear regulator has given Bruce Power the go-ahead to power up its unit 2 reactor, which is capable of producing enough electricity for about 500,000 homes.

Approval from the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission to remove “reactor shutdown guarantees” on unit 2 allows the company to start up the reactor for final checks.

Bruce Power spokesman John Peevers said the next step is to synchronize unit 2 to Ontario’s electricity grid.

“We’re not putting a specific timeframe on it . . . but it’s something we would consider as imminent,” he said.

The reactor, which can produce 750 megawatts of power, was shut down nearly 20 years ago before the refurbishment project began in 2006.

“A project of this magnitude has never been done before on a CANDU reactor and that cannot be overlooked,” Bruce Power president and CEO Duncan Hawthorne said in a statement.

Unit 1, which is also expected to produce 750 megawatts of power, is expected to be returned to service in the third quarter of 2012, Peevers said.

Once the two Bruce A units are back online, Bruce Power will be capable of providing more than 6,000 megawatts of power to Ontario’s energy grid.

That would make the complex near Tiverton, Ont., the largest nuclear power site in the world.

When the unit 1 and 2 restart project was originally announced in 2005, the cost of the program was estimated at $2.75 billion, with electricity production to begin by late 2009 or early 2010.

The cost has risen to $4.8 billion.




Nuclear reactor nearly a go | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun
 
petros
+1
#2
Right on. That will eliminate 430 useless wind turbines and return 47,000 acres of farm land to productivity.
 
dumpthemonarchy
#3
Nuclear power is great except its costs are endless, it will be ready to run in few years I'm sure, and big biz and unions love it. Couldn't be better. What's not to like? It's green in more ways than one. If geothermal power can't beat this dinosaur, then I'll jump into a volcano.
 
petros
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

If geothermal power can't beat this dinosaur, then I'll jump into a volcano.

Happy landings!
 
dumpthemonarchy
#5
I jump into the belly of the beast.
 
damngrumpy
+1
#6
I say let the jumping begin, I agree with Petros we need nuke power it is going to be
the way of the future. Yes there will be accidents but then there are damns that go
to hell and flood everything and other unfortunate events with other sources of power
generation.
Over all its still going to service the greatest number of people in the future.
 
dumpthemonarchy
#7
This left wing rag wonders why, geothermal energy, which is clean, renewable, and baseline power is being squeezed out by other forms of energy-likely because they are better politically connected. Wind and solar power are not "on" all the time like geothermal is. The earth is always hot. But then we'd need a national energy grid and a national energy policy, that runs north-south in Canada, not east-west. Most of the geothermal is in the west.

The Tyee – Why Is Canada Freezing out Geothermal Power? (external - login to view)
 
petros
+3
#8  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

This left wing rag wonders why, geothermal energy, which is clean, renewable, and baseline power is being squeezed out by other forms of energy-likely because they are better politically connected.

Maybe because geothermal can't be done in 95% of the country?
 
taxslave
+2
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

This left wing rag wonders why, geothermal energy, which is clean, renewable, and baseline power is being squeezed out by other forms of energy-likely because they are better politically connected. Wind and solar power are not "on" all the time like geothermal is. The earth is always hot. But then we'd need a national energy grid and a national energy policy, that runs north-south in Canada, not east-west. Most of the geothermal is in the west.

The Tyee – Why Is Canada Freezing out Geothermal Power? (external - login to view)

Same reason oil pipelines run N-S not W-E. The East cannot be trusted.
 
Angstrom
-1
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Same reason oil pipelines run N-S not W-E. The East cannot be trusted.

 
Bar Sinister
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Same reason oil pipelines run N-S not W-E. The East cannot be trusted.

Actually geothermal works anywhere. All that is required is a deep enough hole in the ground. Spring Hill Nova Scotia is actually generating thermal power using warm water that has flooded into abandoned coal mines. Since Eastern and Central Canada lead the nation in abandoned mines I expect there is enormous unexploited potential for thermal power. Barring that, drilling a deep hole in the ground works quite well.

So far as the nuclear industry is concerned, it is surprising that its advocates have any credibility left. The plants never seem to work as well as their proponents claim. It seems that existing plants need constant overhaul and repair, and any new plants experience enormous cost overruns. If the occasional catastrophic accident is added to the list of problems then nuclear power pretty much fails to deliver the safe, clean, cheap power that was promised by its advocates.
 
petros
#12
Nope.
 
dumpthemonarchy
#13
Says here that 100 geothermal plants could supply all of Canada's energy needs. Mostly in western Canada, but also exists all across the country.
B.C., Canada sitting on 'massive' store of geothermal energy: Report (external - login to view)

Nuke power gets a free ride and I'm glad Ont will be paying for it, not BC.

The NEP trauma will last forever I suppose, poor child. Ottawa did get the west with the NEP but the west got back with free trade with the USA. Free trade with the USA and then Mexico didn't help Ontario and Quebec much as they lost thousands of factories and the west got to sell more energy to the USA. No problem that the USA got a permanent claim on Canadian-oops, Alberta energy. There's a serious political problem here, but we can never negotiate it, because once the constitution is amended, that sacred scrap of toilet paper, it's stinky holy to many. So we must nash our teeth and just curse back and forth. An immature political culture exists in Canada.
 
petros
#14
dumpy.... you need to build them in geologically active areas. How many geologically active areas do we have in Canada other than west coast subductive?
 
dumpthemonarchy
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

dumpy.... you need to build them in geologically active areas. How many geologically active areas do we have in Canada other than west coast subductive?

They're not all in geologically active areas. But then if one is built in a bad area, and an earthquake/tsunami occurs, they won't cause radioactive pollution.
 
petros
#16
You need mass heat to make geothermal power. How many kilometers would I have to drill in Northern ON to hit temps hot enough to make steam?
 
dumpthemonarchy
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

You need mass heat to make geothermal power. How many kilometers would I have to drill in Northern ON to hit temps hot enough to make steam?

Not too far, people in Vancouver use geothermal heat now.
 
petros
#18
I use geothermal heat. I installed it 4 years ago.

For geothermal heat which uses compression/decompression for heating and cooling I only had to driill 35 meters at a diameter of 200mm. The heat pump still uses electricty to run and if there is a big swing in temps I still have to supplement with another source of heating until the heat pump catches up. Not to mention the cost is insane. I could have installed 4 96% efficient gas furnaces for the price of the geothermal. It wil stil take another 3 years to recoup costs and by then I'll need a new heat pump.

Geothermal electricty requires drilling to thousands of meters using a 36"+ caisson X 2. That is super expensive and vulnerable to shift in a geologically active zones.
Last edited by petros; Mar 18th, 2012 at 08:56 PM..
 
taxslave
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar SinisterView Post

Actually geothermal works anywhere. All that is required is a deep enough hole in the ground. Spring Hill Nova Scotia is actually generating thermal power using warm water that has flooded into abandoned coal mines. Since Eastern and Central Canada lead the nation in abandoned mines I expect there is enormous unexploited potential for thermal power. Barring that, drilling a deep hole in the ground works quite well.

So far as the nuclear industry is concerned, it is surprising that its advocates have any credibility left. The plants never seem to work as well as their proponents claim. It seems that existing plants need constant overhaul and repair, and any new plants experience enormous cost overruns. If the occasional catastrophic accident is added to the list of problems then nuclear power pretty much fails to deliver the safe, clean, cheap power that was promised by its advocates.

Well all the nukes are back east so they are not a big worry to us. I believe BC still has a ban on them. My wife comes from Germany where there are lots of leaky nukers in wind distance and she is dead set against them.
Funny how they keep flogging this expensive and unreliable energy source in Ontario. Could it have to do with jobs supplied by AECL building reactors for export?
 
dumpthemonarchy
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Well all the nukes are back east so they are not a big worry to us. I believe BC still has a ban on them. My wife comes from Germany where there are lots of leaky nukers in wind distance and she is dead set against them.
Funny how they keep flogging this expensive and unreliable energy source in Ontario. Could it have to do with jobs supplied by AECL building reactors for export?

Nukes aren't offically illegally in BC, but they might as well be. It's like the mythical supertanker ban on the coast, it was repeated so many times, everyone was assumed it to be true, but there is no law.

Nukes are like that, try to build a nuke plant here and there will be people on the barricades. Like I would be on the barricades against nuke power and exporting bulk water out of the province by supertanker. People would be galvanized.
 

Similar Threads

25
Our National Anthem and Bruce Allen
by Avro | Jan 23rd, 2010
44
Bruce Allen not out of hot water yet
by Lester | Jan 24th, 2008
5
Bruce: racist refs did in Argos
by Kreskin | Nov 13th, 2006
no new posts