Quebec intolerance is once again in the news

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Quebec intolerance is once again in the news.

From Religious, Ethnic and Language minorities they are all treated poorly by all Parties in Quebec.

Graeme Hamilton: Ignorance and intolerance drive halal food flap in Quebec | Full Comment | National Post

Ignorance and intolerance drive halal food flap in Quebec

Few issues inspire the three main parties in Quebec’s National Assembly to rise above partisanship and speak as one. But the urgent need to label halal meat, it appears, is one.
On Thursday, Liberal Premier Jean Charest joined the chorus begun a day earlier by the Parti Québécois calling for stricter labelling to ensure Quebecers do not unwittingly consume meat slaughtered according to Islamic rite.
“I say to those who process [meat] today, if they are halal animals, do yourself a favour as a producer and at the same time for the consumers, and say so on your products’ labelling,” he told reporters. “That way consumers will know exactly what they are buying.”

François Legault, leader of the Coalition Avenir Quebec, insisted halal products need to be clearly labelled. “We are in Quebec and [halal slaughter] must be an exception,” he said. “It must not be the rule in Quebec. The consumer must be informed when there is halal meat.”
The sudden concern about animal slaughter practices was not prompted by any public-health scare or consumer outcry. Rather, the controversy began with an alarmist TV news report this week revealing that, for the past two years, a major Quebec poultry processing plant has been certified so that all its meat qualifies as halal, even if only a small percentage aimed at Muslim customers is labelled as such. “Does it bother you to buy halal meat without knowing it?” the program, hosted by former provincial politician Mario Dumont, asked. The front page of the tabloid Journal de Montréal had the screaming headline Thursday, “We are all eating halal.”
‘The controversy is the latest example of Quebec’s struggle to determine how far it should go to “reasonably accommodate” religious minorities’
The controversy is the latest example of Quebec’s struggle to determine how far it should go to “reasonably accommodate” religious minorities. Mr. Dumont is no stranger to the issue, having nearly gained power in 2007 as head of the Action Démocratique du Québec after campaigning to protect Quebec values.

Jacques Parizeau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the night of the referendum, Quebec came within only a few thousands of votes of separation, but the Yes side still lost. In his concession speech, Parizeau said sovereignty had been defeated by "money and the ethnic vote", and referred to the Francophones who voted Yes in the referendum as "nous" (us) when he said that this majority group was, for the first time, no longer afraid of political independence. 60% of Quebec Francophones voted Yes. However, the sovereigntist side accepted the results of the vote which they had initiated.
Parizeau was widely criticized for the remarks, which he later characterized as unfortunate and as meriting the disapproval they received. Many suspected he may have been drinking. He resigned as PQ leader and Quebec premier the next day. The English-language media, as well as non-sovereignist newspapers such as La Presse and Le Soleil, associated Parizeau's resignation only with these remarks.

Reasonable accommodation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let's move on, says Quebec accommodation commission - Montreal - CBC News

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that none of these politicians have ever visited a regular slaughter house. If they had they would soon change their minds. As long as the labels are only in french of course.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Somehow I expect religious chickens taste pretty much like non-religious chickens. BTW the last time I visited a poultry-processing plant all of the chickens were killed by having their throats slit.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Somehow I expect religious chickens taste pretty much like non-religious chickens. BTW the last time I visited a poultry-processing plant all of the chickens were killed by having their throats slit.

The last time? Do you habitually visit poultry-processing plants? lol

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that none of these politicians have ever visited a regular slaughter house. If they had they would soon change their minds. As long as the labels are only in French of course.

Yeah I do not speak or read French but I think I can tell the difference between a steak and chicken. As long as sanitary regs were adhered to - off to the grill it goes.

The point is that minorities in Quebec, be they religious or by language are always a target.

And the major Political parties all pile on.
Wonder how they feel when their debt goes the way of Greece. Who will they blame then?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I wonder what they'd do if they ever realized how much of their food is kosher too.

I buy halal meat on purpose. It's less expensive as a rule, and I'll trust the butcher who thinks his soul is on the line in his cleanliness practices over the one who does it only to follow health regs.

I wonder how much of this outcry comes from the b.s. e-mails circulating that halal butchers regularly use animals that died of illness in their food chain? I got that one from a couple of hubby's french aunties.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I wonder what they'd do if they ever realized how much of their food is kosher too.

I buy halal meat on purpose. It's less expensive as a rule, and I'll trust the butcher who thinks his soul is on the line in his cleanliness practices over the one who does it only to follow health regs.

I wonder how much of this outcry comes from the b.s. e-mails circulating that halal butchers regularly use animals that died of illness in their food chain? I got that one from a couple of hubby's French aunties.

Sad to say I also receive those type of uninformed to say the least emails. And your point on hygiene is bang on.

It is much ado about nothing but Quebec, their Politicians and if you listen to some of the reports about their talk show topics/ cooments from the host on things of this nature are just plain hateful.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Well we have been through religious intolerance ourselves for many years, now we don't want religion in anything anymore. Not the government, now in industry, not in schools, not on the streets, NO WHERE except in specific places like churches etc and in our private homes. We had enough of that and fought for years to get rid of it but now others are bringing religion back.

I don't care who prepares the food as long as it is clearly labelled so that I can make my own choice. Even the federal gov. is now demanding that food labels be corrected because many of the industries get the produce from many different countries but label them as "made in Canada". We have a right to decide if we want for example Canadian salmon form Chinese fish farms or Canadian salmon from Canada.

I have no objections as long as my right to choose what I want.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

I wonder how much of this outcry comes from the b.s. e-mails circulating that halal butchers regularly use animals that died of illness in their food chain? I got that one from a couple of hubby's french aunties.

I suppose we had halal chicken on the farm without even knowing the term....Sharp axe and a chopping block....

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
The last time? Do you habitually visit poultry-processing plants? lol

Not habitually. It was part of a school tour to study a secondary industry as part of the geography course I was teaching. It was quite a few years ago, but I expect that the process today is pretty much the same.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Too many people truly don't understand that the health regulations (just like governmental standards in other industries) are a minimum standard and its not a bad thing to meet higher ones...

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
In a way Quebec has painted itself into a corner so far as many new immigrants are concerned. In a delicious twist of irony Quebec has encouraged French speaking Muslims from North Africa to emigrate to Quebec. Unfortunately, about the only cultural interest these immigrants share with native Quebecois is an ability to speak French. Other than that many of their values are the antithesis of what the average Quebecois values. In fact an immigrant from Ireland would probably have more in common with the average Quebecois than a North African Muslim.