Is The Post Office Going Into Oblivion Or A New Direction

Liberalman
Is The Post Office Going Into Oblivion Or A New Direction

http://postandparcel.info/46304/in-depth/responding-to-the-operational-challenge/ (external - login to view)

Since personal computers and wireless mobile devices became the part of the mainstream society post offices around the world started to shrink or has it?

Let’s consider that Internet access as the world is concerned is still in its infancy just because it costs a lot to have it. Here is more links and quotes

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_percentage_of_the_world's_population_own_a_co mputer (external - login to view)
“Do you mean own or have regular access to a computer? Computer ownership is now at about 4-5% of the world’s population. However with many social projects putting computers in villages in developing countries between 12-14% of the world’s population have access to a computer. Approx 3-5 % of the worlds population has internet access.”

http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm (external - login to view)

E-commerce has increased the packets and parcels the post office delivers and junk mail or advertising mail is more important just because of spam emails that computer programs are able to identify and delete before it gets to the customer.

Looks like the post office will be around for a while longer as long as it is willing to adapt to the ever changing demands of the clients.

B00Mer
Sh!t we still have Canada Post??

Arrowtown Post Office

Arrowtown is a historic gold rush village. In the 1860s it's population was 7,000, with several further towns higher up the Shotover river, which is/was supposed to be the second richest gold bearing river in the world, after the Klondike in Canada.

By 1960 it's population had crashed to 200, with upstream settlements such as Macetown and Skippers long abandoned ghost towns. Nowadays it's a small town of 2,400 which thrives on historical tourism.

The Post Office here was built in 1915 and has been faithfully preserved along with a number of other historic buildings in the centre.

eh1eh
Seriously. What gets mailed? How many letters did you write and mail in the last 30 years?
The mail service will eventually become unnecessary for personal communications and information transfer but there will still be stuff. Like ebay and amazon stuff. Not everybody wants to pay more for courier

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

Seriously. What gets mailed? How many letters did you write and mail in the last 30 years?
The mail service will eventually become unnecessary for personal communications and information transfer but there will still be stuff. Like ebay and amazon stuff. Not everybody wants to pay more for courier

It is on the way out. Moving more rapidly in that direction in the last 5 years or so it seems. Still a lot of businesses that use paper and stuff's got to be mailed. Personally I use one stamp a year. To mail in my insurance cheque, lol. That's it, everything else I do online.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

It is on the way out. Moving more rapidly in that direction in the last 5 years or so it seems. Still a lot of businesses that use paper and stuff's got to be mailed. Personally I use one stamp a year. To mail in my insurance cheque, lol. That's it, everything else I do online.

I will be sending out 100,000 4 x 6 post cards as bulk mail next month.. that's about all I use it for as a business.

Email, faxes are all electronic.. packages, via UPS..

hell, most faxes come direct to my cell phone.

taxslave
The postal service should be privatized and wages brought in line with what they are worth and fire the lazy ones that can't get off their fat asses to do their so called job.
Guess where we just came from.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

I will be sending out 100,000 4 x 6 post cards as bulk mail next month.. that's about all I use it for as a business.

Email, faxes are all electronic.. packages, via UPS..

hell, most faxes come direct to my cell phone.

My boss has a paper fetish. (That was meant figuratively

I've never had so many paper cuts in my life, lol.

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

The postal service should be privatized and wages brought in line with what they are worth and fire the lazy ones that can't get off their fat asses to do their so called job.
Guess where we just came from.

The post office?

Bar Sinister
Judging from the amount of junk mail that ends up in my mailbox someone is still using the post office.

TenPenny
I still get mail at home every day, some magazines I subscribe to, and most bills. I prefer a paper copy of the bill, even when I pay them on line. My snowplow guy needs to get paid every month, so I mail that out, and there are birthday cards etc.

At work, probably 50% of our customers still pay by cheque, even multinational corporations, and quite a few suppliers still mail out invoices.

dumpthemonarchy
The post office is like the radio, once dominant but now one of many competitors out there in a smaller niche. I like paper bills, with BC Hydro I have to use a password to see a detailed bill. I get the total in an email. Less information here with more work required.