Wind Mobile slams federal cellphone changes

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Wind slams wireless auction changes

One of the smaller players in Canada's telecom industry has slammed Ottawa's attempts to increase competition in the sector.

“The reality is that consumers will face higher prices, fewer choices and a return to the era of incumbent dominated wireless," Globalive Wireless Management Corp. said in a release.

Globalive is the parent of Wind Mobile.

"The announcement creates the illusion that the government has gone all-in to create a competitive wireless landscape, when they've only done half the job," said Wind Mobile CEO Anthony Lacavera.

Industry Minister Christian Paradis on Wednesday announced the government would be placing limits on the coming wireless spectrum auction of radio waves in the 700 and 2,500 MHz frequency bands for large players and the lifting of foreign investment limits for small telecom firms.

Paradis said Ottawa will lift restrictions on foreign investment in firms with less than 10 per cent of market share by revenue.

Smaller players had said they couldn’t compete with the financial weight of the big firms — Bell, Rogers and Telus — without access to capital from foreign investors.

Paradis also announced Ottawa will limit how much spectrum the largest players can buy through the auction.

It will set aside one of four blocks of the new spectrum for new entrants and regional providers.

The changes to the auction rules will let at least four companies obtain spectrum in each of Canada's 14 licence areas.

But Lacavera said it will mean companies won't get the airwaves they need to compete.

"The government is prepared to take credit for creating a level playing field in the upcoming auction, when all they've really done is stack the deck in favour of the incumbents" — a reference to Bell, Rogers and Telus.

"To build out an LTE network, 10 MHz of spectrum is necessary. This decision only allows new entrants access to half that amount and will prevent any carriers, other than the incumbents, from building faster networks and keeping up with the increased consumer demand for the best available smartphone technology," said Lacavera.

LTE refers to long-term evolution networks, which can handle faster and more advanced technology, and accommodate the latest smartphones.

"Delivering on foreign ownership is only half of the equation. We've spent countless months telling the government that caps will destroy our ability to compete with the incumbents in the next auction, thereby crippling wireless competition in Canada," he said.

Wind slams wireless auction changes - Business - CBC News

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Wind Mobile never heard of them.. don't really care what they have to say..

Now can we get MetroPCS here in Canada already.. Unlimited talk, text and web with nationwide coverage. $40 a month.. includes taxes, everything flat rate. You pay the price you see..

MetroPCS

Metro will be getting the shaft with this new legislation.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
How come?? It's meant to inspire competition from outside the country.. correct. I did I miss something?

Lacavera was saying that because of the spectrum policy, the smaller companies will actually be handicapped from competing. So it is essentially one step forward, two steps back.

“Then we take two steps back by creating a spectrum auction policy that doesn’t permit Wind to be out there with an LTE offering that’s comparable to the big guys”, he reiterated. “We need to be out there with a product that Canadian businesses and consumers see as on par, if not better, than Bell, Telus and Rogers. And we don’t have that opportunity with the amount of spectrum we’re able to get in this auction.”

Lacavera suggested that the 'Big Three' incumbents will reap a windfall as a result of the new auction policy.
http://www.cartt.ca/news/13353/Cabl...ment-auction-rules-don-t-please-everyone.html

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Lacavera was saying that because of the spectrum policy, the smaller companies will actually be handicapped from competing. So it is essentially one step forward, two steps back.

Oh then I hardly think this would hinder MetroPCS, they are a huge United States carrier.. I would like to see them come into Canada.

I also have used FIDO and they have some great rates.. better than their holding company Rogers. FIDO is the budget line.

Virgin Mobile Canada is pretty reasonable too

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Oh then I hardly think this would hinder MetroPCS, they are a huge United States carrier.. I would like to see them come into Canada.

I also have used FIDO and they have some great rates.. better than their holding company Rogers. FIDO is the budget line.

Virgin Mobile Canada is pretty reasonable too

Yes, but while it is good for companies that already have established their network, it's bad for the smaller companies who actually want to buy more than 10 Mhz of spectrum, especially when they have the money and collateral to do so. It's an anti-competitive measure that doesn't free up the marketplace, but keeps it restricted to the big telcos.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Yes, but while it is good for companies that already have established their network, it's bad for the smaller companies who actually want to buy more than 10 Mhz of spectrum, especially when they have the money and collateral to do so. It's an anti-competitive measure that doesn't free up the marketplace, but keeps it restricted to the big telcos.

I still don't understand why they just don't deregulate.. cellular, television and the airlines.. let er rip.

thinkmusic

Jun 17, 2011
vancouver, bc

Now can we get MetroPCS here in Canada already.. Unlimited talk, text and web with nationwide coverage. $40 a month.. includes taxes, everything flat rate. You pay the price you see..

That is basically what I pay with Wind ;)

“Oh Canada plan”. The price point is $29/month and includes Unlimited Canada-wide Calling, Unlimited Data, Unlimited Canada-wide Text and Picture Messaging and “Call Control” which is a bundle that has Caller ID, Missed Call Alerts, Call Waiting, 3 Way Calling, Call Forwarding, and Conference Calling – no voice mail ($5 add-on).

Mobilicity has similar prices.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
There would be a lot more competition if the government forced the incumbents to accept virtual mobile network operators, and had some legislation governing mandatory reporting of maintenance costs to said VMNO's.

Ever wonder why you don't see Telus, Roger's and Bell outside of Canada? It's because they are terribly inefficient in their protected industry.

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver

MetroPCS

If you've heard of Wind Mobile, you would have known that for $40, you get everything you mentioned above plus unlimited North American calling, Voicemail, caller id, international text, tethering allowed. Taxes extra though.

EDIT: Plan not available anymore. But it comes up as a promo every once in a while. Keep your eyes peeled for the next promo.