Poll: Some Alberta men believe violence against women is okay

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Almost one in 10 Alberta men believes hitting a woman is okay if she makes them angry, says a recent poll.

The Leger Marketing survey also found 40 per cent of the men say women who dress provocatively risk being raped

“This is first study of its kind that has been done in Alberta and I believe in the rest of the country,” Ian Large, vice-president for the Alberta branch of Leger Marketing, said told the Star Wednesday.
“Alberta has a particularly bad reputation in this area,” he said, adding that the 1,000 men surveyed were remarkably honest.

According to a report released by Statistics Canada in 2011, Alberta and Saskatchewan have the highest rates of spousal abuse in the country.

Those taken aback by the “ground-breaking” results include Alberta Premier Alison Redford, who says she was sickened by some of the findings.

Redford said the statistic showing that 21 per cent of men surveyed said slapping a child’s face is acceptable behaviour “made me sick to my stomach.”

“I think that is very troubling, and as a mother of a 9-year-old, I want us to do better as a community,” she said. “We have to start saying to people that this behaviour is inappropriate . . . It’s not acceptable in Alberta in 2012.”

Redford said the “silent majority” has a role in ensuring this kind of behaviour is not tolerated and that families feel safe in their own homes.

The Leger survey results were released Monday in Calgary at the Alberta Council of Women’s Shelters (ACWS) annual “Breakfast With the Guys” fundraiser, designed to encourage men and boys to take a stand against domestic violence.

The survey was completed between Feb. 6 and Feb. 27, with 1,000 men, 18 or older, living in Alberta. The survey has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.5 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

Among the alarming results:

• 13 per cent of the survey respondents said domestic violence is not as serious if it results from people getting so angry they temporarily lose control.

8 per cent did not agree that it’s never acceptable to physically assault a woman if she did something to incite the anger.
(If someone can find this stat in the report, please let me know)

• 14 per cent agreed that women often say “no” when they mean “yes.”

Story:

Canada News: Poll: Some Alberta men believe violence against women is okay - thestar.com

Survey (not linked in the article)

http://www.acws.ca/documents/Presen...rdViolenceAgainstWomenreleasedCalgaryBWTG.pdf

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Almost one in 10 Alberta men believes hitting a woman is okay if she makes them angry, says a recent poll.

The Leger Marketing survey also found 40 per cent of the men say women who dress provocatively risk being raped

“This is first study of its kind that has been done in Alberta and I believe in the rest of the country,” Ian Large, vice-president for the Alberta branch of Leger Marketing, said told the Star Wednesday.
“Alberta has a particularly bad reputation in this area,” he said, adding that the 1,000 men surveyed were remarkably honest.

According to a report released by Statistics Canada in 2011, Alberta and Saskatchewan have the highest rates of spousal abuse in the country.

Those taken aback by the “ground-breaking” results include Alberta Premier Alison Redford, who says she was sickened by some of the findings.

Redford said the statistic showing that 21 per cent of men surveyed said slapping a child’s face is acceptable behaviour “made me sick to my stomach.”

“I think that is very troubling, and as a mother of a 9-year-old, I want us to do better as a community,” she said. “We have to start saying to people that this behaviour is inappropriate . . . It’s not acceptable in Alberta in 2012.”

Redford said the “silent majority” has a role in ensuring this kind of behaviour is not tolerated and that families feel safe in their own homes.

The Leger survey results were released Monday in Calgary at the Alberta Council of Women’s Shelters (ACWS) annual “Breakfast With the Guys” fundraiser, designed to encourage men and boys to take a stand against domestic violence.

The survey was completed between Feb. 6 and Feb. 27, with 1,000 men, 18 or older, living in Alberta. The survey has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.5 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

Among the alarming results:

• 13 per cent of the survey respondents said domestic violence is not as serious if it results from people getting so angry they temporarily lose control.

8 per cent did not agree that it’s never acceptable to physically assault a woman if she did something to incite the anger.

• 14 per cent agreed that women often say “no” when they mean “yes.”

Story:

Canada News: Poll: Some Alberta men believe violence against women is okay - thestar.com

Survey (not linked in the article)

http://www.acws.ca/documents/Presen...rdViolenceAgainstWomenreleasedCalgaryBWTG.pdf

Is AB the only Prov in Canada?

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006

Page 10 of the pdf

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I found that the article kind of sensationalizes the information. When the stats were 8%, the article translated that to 1/10. Accuracy would dictate that they state 1/12.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I found that the article kind of sensationalizes the information. When the stats were 8%, the article translated that to 1/10. Accuracy would dictate that they state 1/12.

The Star did that? :lol:

At least the survey concluded an improvement over 5 years ago. The paper didn't find that necessary.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
They do not say how many respondents were in the lower age group. These surveys are so easily manipulated by the context of the question and often lack of choice in answers. I am not defending or approving either side but i do detest disingenuous agendas.
Many times i have been called regarding surveys and have told them, if you intend to waste your time and mine with questions requiring pre determined answers that are not my choice, get lost!

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
What are the thoughts about the point on page 11 ... 40% of men agree that if a woman dresses provocatively, she's putting herself at risk for rape.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that Alberta is mostly a conservative province?

I think lots of men everywhere think this way. And lots of women think it's okay, too, or else Chris Brown would not have been performing at whatever stupid awards show recently, and having women tweet that 'he could hit them any time'.

Quite frankly, there are lots of people in this world who are stupid.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
and 60% disagreed...... and, over all, mens attitudes and knowledge has improved over the last 5 years.... but why look at it that way. So much better for the men haters to look only at the negative and work on negative slants...right? Why bother working towards bettering those numbers over the next 5 years like the last 5.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What are the thoughts about the point on page 11 ... 40% of men agree that if a woman dresses provocatively, she's putting herself at risk for rape.

Well, it stands to reason. A chocolate cake left on the counter is more likely to get eaten than a tofu bar wrapped in brown paper in a drawer.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Sounds like some of the Toronto (Sl ut Walk) Cops. ;-)

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I think lots of men everywhere think this way. And lots of women think it's okay, too, or else Chris Brown would not have been performing at whatever stupid awards show recently, and having women tweet that 'he could hit them any time'.

Quite frankly, there are lots of people in this world who are stupid.

I would tend to agree that lots of men think this way ... and I also think that women know this but dress provocatively anyway. Women wear underwear as outer wear and leave little to the imagination - kind of like a tease where they want to watch men have to control themselves. Personally, I think that women that dress provocatively are taking an unnecessary risk ... but that's a pretty old fashioned way of looking at things ... old fashioned to include all of time up until the last decade or two.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
It's called self control. Try it sometime.

gerry, you might want to actually use your brain.

I didn't say it was right, I didn't say I felt that it was acceptable to rape women who dress provocatively, I didn't say that I do it. Try reading for a change.

If you ever develop the ability to think, feel free to use it. Until then, shut the fuk up. What a maroon.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
gerry, you might want to actually use your brain.

I didn't say it was right, I didn't say I felt that it was acceptable to rape women who dress provocatively, I didn't say that I do it. Try reading for a change.

If you ever develop the ability to think, feel free to use it. Until then, shut the fuk up. What a maroon.

No, you just stated that it stands to reason that it would happen.... no, it does NOT stand to reason. Like I said, it's called self control, and any man that can NOT control himself, well, he ain't much a fuc king man.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario