Poll: Some Alberta men believe violence against women is okay


gerryh
#151
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

Yeah, so? I'll defend myself if attacked. I don't think I should be attacked, but I'm not going to stand there and take it if I am. Self-defense is the lesser evil. The world isn't as black and white as you'd like it to be.


and like every other abuser out there.... you can always rationalize.......

she deserved it.....right?
 
JLM
+2
#152
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

and like every other abuser out there.... you can always rationalize.......

she deserved it.....right?

If a woman wants to be treated equally to a man, that has to cover all situations. YA CAN'T SUCK AND BLOW AT THE SAME TIME!
 
Durry
#153
[video]

 
talloola
#154
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

If a woman wants to be treated equally to a man, that has to cover all situations. YA CAN'T SUCK AND BLOW AT THE SAME TIME!

visualize this situation. 120lb woman is having a all out verbal battle with her 220lb husband/boyfriend,
both are very angry, she slaps him across the face, he punches her in the face, oh well, thats the way it
goes right? If she wants to hit, I will hit back, even if he just slapped her back, it force most likely
would be much more of a blow than she was able to make.

if your wife slapped you across the face, would you do the same, or punch her in the face in return.

I have more confidence and respect for a man, and feel he would automatically know he would hurt her,
and find another way to deal with the situation, just restraint would be acceptable.
 
Dexter Sinister
#155
If I can't take a punch from a woman.... what? Not the point at all. I see no reason why I should.

Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

if your wife slapped you across the face, would you do the same...

Yes, but I'd pull it, I'm a good deal bigger than she is, and that would be the end of the relationship. There are some things you must not do to a man whose respect and affection you value, and that's one of them.
 
taxslave
#156
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

[video]

 
JLM
#157
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

visualize this situation. 120lb woman is having a all out verbal battle with her 220lb husband/boyfriend,
both are very angry, she slaps him across the face, he punches her in the face, oh well, thats the way it
goes right? If she wants to hit, I will hit back, even if he just slapped her back, it force most likely
would be much more of a blow than she was able to make.

if your wife slapped you across the face, would you do the same, or punch her in the face in return.

I have more confidence and respect for a man, and feel he would automatically know he would hurt her,
and find another way to deal with the situation, just restraint would be acceptable.

It would be a very rare circumstance where I would punch a woman (haven't done it in 69 years), but I'm not saying it couldn't happen if some 250 lb. brute that packed drill bits in the oil patch decided she was going to kill me. The point I was making was more about the woman's expectations, they should just be very careful in saying they want to treated equally to a man.
 
talloola
+1
#158
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

If I can't take a punch from a woman.... what? Not the point at all. I see no reason why I should.

Yes, but I'd pull it, I'm a good deal bigger than she is, and that would be the end of the relationship. There are some things you must not do to a man whose respect and affection you value, and that's one of them.


thats fine, your decision, would you slug her back before you left her, or just leave her, but one would have to wonder what had happened to actually bring a woman to
physically lash back, as I do not think it would be something she would have ever done before, and once
she 'hit' you, she probably would be even more upset as well, realizing what she had done, and if you
did not hit her back, that would be the right 'physical' ending to the battle.
I would think most people could not ever hit the other, as it is in my life with my husband.

I have been discussing this thread with him, and he said he could not ever hit me back if I hit him,
as he knows he is so much stronger than I am, he would have to think of a better reaction that that,
and he would not end the relationship either, because the matter at hand would be quite serious to have
ever brought me to that point, so it would have to be 'calmed' down, and figured out.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

It would be a very rare circumstance where I would punch a woman (haven't done it in 69 years), but I'm not saying it couldn't happen if some 250 lb. brute that packed drill bits in the oil patch decided she was going to kill me. The point I was making was more about the woman's expectations, they should just be very careful in saying they want to treated equally to a man.

not talking about some 'wierd exception', i'm talking about the rule, there are always exceptions, at which time you do what you have to do.

And, in 'most' cases even a woman who is as big or bigger than a man is probably
still much weaker physically, and it doesn't take much of a physical battle for
a woman to cave in emotionally/and or physically, if she is trying to fight
with a man.
Last edited by talloola; Mar 19th, 2012 at 03:42 AM..
 
JLM
#159
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

thats fine, your decision, would you slug her back before you left her, or just leave her, but one would have to wonder what had happened to actually bring a woman to
physically lash back, as I do not think it would be something she would have ever done before, and once
she 'hit' you, she probably would be even more upset as well, realizing what she had done, and if you
did not hit her back, that would be the right 'physical' ending to the battle.
I would think most people could not ever hit the other, as it is in my life with my husband.

I have been discussing this thread with him, and he said he could not ever hit me back if I hit him,
as he knows he is so much stronger than I am, he would have to think of a better reaction that that,
and he would not end the relationship either, because the matter at hand would be quite serious to have
ever brought me to that point, so it would have to be 'calmed' down, and figured out.



not talking about some 'wierd exception', i'm talking about the rule, there are always exceptions, at which time you do what you have to do.

And, in 'most' cases even a woman who is as big or bigger than a man is probably
still much weaker physically, and it doesn't take much of a physical battle for
a woman to cave in emotionally/and or physically, if she is trying to fight
with a man.

I think the rule of thumb in any situation like that is you the minimal amount of force required to control the situation. BUT that is what I would do, I still think if a woman decides she wants to be treated exactly equal to a man, she should be prepared for much more severe treatment, just so she isn't amazed when she's emerging from a coma.
 
Cannuck
+3 / -1
#160
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

and like every other abuser out there.... you can always rationalize.......

she deserved it.....right?

Obviously, you don't know the difference between abuse and self defense.
 
JLM
#161
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Obviously, you don't know the difference between abuse and self defense.

Great to see you do have a working brain cell.

Actually this entire thread is a prime example of stereotyping and should have probably been deep sixed at the get go!
 
petros
+1
#162
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

If I can't take a punch from a woman.... what? Not the point at all. I see no reason why I should.

Wimp!
 
Dexter Sinister
+3
#163
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

...but one would have to wonder what had happened to actually bring a woman to physically lash back

I wouldn't wonder about that at all, I'd view that as an attempt at rationalization no different from the "she deserved it" argument we hear from some men. I will make no attempt to sustain a relationship with a woman who hits me, that's crossing a line and for me there's no way back from it. If as some have argued there's no provocation sufficient to justify a man striking the first blow--and I've been hearing that from the women's movement and female friends and relatives all my life--that's got to go both ways, you don't get a pass just because you're female.
 
petros
+2
#164
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Obviously, you don't know the difference between abuse and self defense.

You have a sure fire self defense mechanism. Two feet and heart beat. Walk the **** away.
 
karrie
#165
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post


not talking about some 'wierd exception', i'm talking about the rule, there are always exceptions, at which time you do what you have to do.

And, in 'most' cases even a woman who is as big or bigger than a man is probably
still much weaker physically, and it doesn't take much of a physical battle for
a woman to cave in emotionally/and or physically, if she is trying to fight
with a man.

I think most men here have made it quite clear that they ARE talking about the exceptions.
 
Kakato
+2
#166
When I was in the oilsands we had lots of female control room operators,not one of the male Somalians working there would take any orders from a female. When we tried to fire them they cried discrimination.

I can imagine how most of the ones we had working for us would answer the survey.
 
talloola
+2
#167
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

I think most men here have made it quite clear that they ARE talking about the exceptions.

the exception being what. that it was a one-off, a very rare happening, or that the woman was a huge
hulk of a person who was bigger than they.

I did not take it from dexter's first post that it is an exception at all, meaning a wierd circumstance,
but just a situation where a woman hit a man, then what.

what do you mean as an exception, that a woman would hit a man period, or?

I mean, this subject is the exception to one's everyday life.

Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

I wouldn't wonder about that at all, I'd view that as an attempt at rationalization no different from the "she deserved it" argument we hear from some men. I will make no attempt to sustain a relationship with a woman who hits me, that's crossing a line and for me there's no way back from it. If as some have argued there's no provocation sufficient to justify a man striking the first blow--and I've been hearing that from the women's movement and female friends and relatives all my life--that's got to go both ways, you don't get a pass just because you're female.

yep, thats some people's views.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I think the rule of thumb in any situation like that is you the minimal amount of force required to control the situation. BUT that is what I would do, I still think if a woman decides she wants to be treated exactly equal to a man, she should be prepared for much more severe treatment, just so she isn't amazed when she's emerging from a coma.

yep, there are those types out there, for sure, hope he felt good that he 'sure showed her', ha, big man,
and what was his injury, a red cheek.

My husband would immediately strike back any man who hit him, no problem there at all, he can take care of
himself, he is strong, grew up in an area where there was lots of physical confrontations happening, had
a 'few' fights, but is not the fighting type. He played lots of physical sports, so he is in touch
with his physical strengths, and can handle himself.

When it comes to the opposite sex, he is so gentle, he could never hit any female, and if I hit him I
can hear his reaction right now. "What the f***k are you doing, are you crazy?", and he would defend
himself, push me away, or grab me so that I don't hit him again, etc., but he would never be
emotionally crushed, in fact, 'not at all', it would do nothing to him to cause any further problems
in his life, and whatever caused the problem would be dealt with in another way.

Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

I wouldn't wonder about that at all, I'd view that as an attempt at rationalization no different from the "she deserved it" argument we hear from some men. I will make no attempt to sustain a relationship with a woman who hits me, that's crossing a line and for me there's no way back from it. If as some have argued there's no provocation sufficient to justify a man striking the first blow--and I've been hearing that from the women's movement and female friends and relatives all my life--that's got to go both ways, you don't get a pass just because you're female.

so, are you saying that if a man is hit by a woman, he has all the right to hit her back, even if he
knows, after not being injured at all, he will probably injure her, because he is so much bigger and
stronger?
Last edited by talloola; Mar 19th, 2012 at 12:47 PM..
 
Spade
+1
#168
You are right in your analysis, Talloola!
 
gerryh
+1
#169
Well, one thing that is perfectly clear. Religion has NOTHING to do with whether a man feels he has the right to strike a woman or not.
 
talloola
+1
#170
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Well, one thing that is perfectly clear. Religion has NOTHING to do with whether a man feels he has the right to strike a woman or not.

on that, we can agree, well, on second thought maybe there are religions that
say, that it is OK to strike a woman.
Last edited by talloola; Mar 19th, 2012 at 12:55 PM..
 
Cannuck
#171
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

You have a sure fire self defense mechanism. Two feet and heart beat. Walk the **** away.

In an ideal situation that works fine. Things are not always as black and white. Have you ever been cornered in a bathroom by somebody with a hockey stick? Where do you suggest a victim run to?
 
gerryh
+1
#172
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

In an ideal situation that works fine. Things are not always as black and white. Have you ever been cornered in a bathroom by somebody with a hockey stick? Where do you suggest a victim run to?


ROFLMFAO


I was abused by my first wife...pots, pans, assorted flying objects, fists, feet..... at no time did I hit her back.

The above is just more rationalizations by the weak minded.
 
Spade
+4
#173
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

In an ideal situation that works fine. Things are not always as black and white. Have you ever been cornered in a bathroom by somebody with a hockey stick? Where do you suggest a victim run to?

What if she had a nuclear fishin' pole?
 
Cannuck
-1
#174
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

I was abused by my first wife...pots, pans, assorted flying objects, fists, feet..... at no time did I hit her back.

The above is just more rationalizations by the weak minded.

Every situation is different. I never hit my wife back either. I'm mature and intelligent enough to realize and accept that not every situation is the same. BTW, I notice you avoided the question. Where is the victim supposed to run to? Or do you expect the victim to simply stand there and take the abuse?
 
talloola
#175
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

In an ideal situation that works fine. Things are not always as black and white. Have you ever been cornered in a bathroom by somebody with a hockey stick? Where do you suggest a victim run to?

haven't you played hockey before, where was your stick, you must have dropped it, where is the ref
when you need him. lol

of course, there are exceptions to all of these situations, 'defend' yourself, without anyone becoming
unconscious, and not too much blood please.
 
gerryh
#176
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Every situation is different. I never hit my wife back either. I'm mature and intelligent enough to realize and accept that not every situation is the same. BTW, I notice you avoided the question. Where is the victim supposed to run to? Or do you expect the victim to simply stand there and take the abuse?


Take the damn stick away from her...pussy... it's a friggin bathroom, not like she can get a good swing with it.... then again, considering your attitude, it would be safer for her if she was able to get a good swing with it.
 
Cannuck
-1
#177
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Take the damn stick away from her...pussy... it's a friggin bathroom, not like she can get a good swing with it.... then again, considering your attitude, it would be safer for her if she was able to get a good swing with it.

You are assuming that every man is capable of taking the stick away from their woman. That's quite the sexist attitude you have. As I've said, I'm smart enough to realize that the issue is not as black and white as you think it is.
 
Goober
+1
#178
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

What if she had a nuclear fishin' pole?

Spade my friend. I see a lot of people trying to pick flyshxy from the pepper on this thread.
 
Cannuck
-1
#179
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

then again, considering your attitude, it would be safer for her if she was able to get a good swing with it.

Obviously you are ASSuming I'm talking about my wife. Have you already forgotten how stupid I made you look when you made ASSumptions about my wife the last time?
 
JLM
#180
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Well, one thing that is perfectly clear. Religion has NOTHING to do with whether a man feels he has the right to strike a woman or not.

And I don't think "Alberta" has much to do with it either!

Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

haven't you played hockey before, where was your stick, you must have dropped it, where is the ref
when you need him. lol

of course, there are exceptions to all of these situations, 'defend' yourself, without anyone becoming
unconscious, and not too much blood please.

Hey, Talloola...................some people talk because they have something to say and others talk (natter) because they have to say something.

Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Obviously you are ASSuming I'm talking about my wife. Have you already forgotten how stupid I made you look when you made ASSumptions about my wife the last time?

So what were you doing co inhabiting a bathroom with a woman other than your wife?
 

Similar Threads

no new posts