Poll: Some Alberta men believe violence against women is okay

55Mercury
no one's called gerryh a coward

a pussy maybe...

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

I know women you'd NEED to hit to get away from, that's my only point. If Mulk's kickboxing police officer cousin decided to kick your ass for example, I don't think restraining or walking away would suffice, and I don't think the presence of tits means you have to take what she decides to dish out.

It`s just a justification.... just like people justifying reasons to kill another human... or a husband justifying why his wife needed to be hit.........easier to come up with a justification for ones actions.

Quote: Originally Posted by 55MercuryView Post

no one's called gerryh a coward

a pussy maybe...

Try again idiot.

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Then I will be more exact.... there is NO justification for hitting a woman.

Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Agreed ... just the same as there is no reasoning with the woman charging at you with knife in hand and kill in eyes - especially when she's between you and the door.

Legally ... there is - as demonstrated when the cops took the cuffs off me then wanted to know if I wished to lay a weapons charge.

Morally, you'd be correct. I had to console that within myself

Quote:

As for being "verbal" on an anonymous message board... there is no comparison.

You're justifying. Do you really believe there's not a person behind that anonymous message?

karrie
+1

It`s just a justification.... just like people justifying reasons to kill another human... or a husband justifying why his wife needed to be hit.........easier to come up with a justification for ones actions.

You're confusing justification with an ability to see that it's not black and white. I hate to say it but you're coming off almost as more sexist than Merc on this one (sorry Merc, but you threw out the c word so you're my prime example right now). Not every woman is so weak and timid that simply restraining them is an option when they decide they're going to hurt you, and I don't believe gender is a reason to sit and take a beating. I don't think the fact that I'm a female justifies my husband being able to make a target of me, and I don't believe the fact that you're male justifies a woman being able to do whatever she pleases.

No one is justified in starting violence.

Anyone who does start violence can expect that whoever they're injuring will do what it takes to stop that violence.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

You're justifying. Do you really believe there's not a person behind that anonymous message?

Yes I am..... but in reality, I have no idea who or what is behind that anonymous message.

JLM

Nice to see you think so little of life and women.

I would have thought my post indicates I think a lot about life, women per se don't come into it, when I see a threat, I'm more concerned about the possibility than the gender.

gerryh

You're confusing justification with an ability to see that it's not black and white. I hate to say it but you're coming off almost as more sexist than Merc on this one (sorry Merc, but you threw out the c word so you're my prime example right now). Not every woman is so weak and timid that simply restraining them is an option when they decide they're going to hurt you, and I don't believe gender is a reason to sit and take a beating. I don't think the fact that I'm a female justifies my husband being able to make a target of me, and I don't believe the fact that you're male justifies a woman being able to do whatever she pleases.

No one is justified in starting violence.

Anyone who does start violence can expect that whoever they're injuring will do what it takes to stop that violence.

Karrie, using your example of Mulks cousin..... if I couldn't restrain her, do you really think I could accomplish anything in the hitting back dept?

wulfie68
+4 / -1

For somethings, there is no "flexibility". Killing and beating on women are 2 of those things.

At risk of pissing you off by asking for further reiteration...

If a woman who is bigger, stronger and more aggressive than most men is coming at you, you would not hit back just on the basis that she is a woman?

I can admire your chivalry but I have to wonder about your reasoning when you let emotion override it. Hitting anyone should be a last resort kind of response, IMO, but I don't draw lines because of gender.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by wulfie68View Post

If a woman who is bigger, stronger and more aggressive than most men is coming at you, you would not hit back just on the basis that she is a woman?

I can admire your chivalry but I have to wonder about your reasoning when you let emotion override it. Hitting anyone should be a last resort kind of response, IMO, but I don't draw lines because of gender.

I draw lines.

karrie

Karrie, using your example of Mulks cousin..... if I couldn't restrain her, do you really think I could accomplish anything in the hitting back dept?

Perhaps not. But then why would being up against a male change the way you view it?

gerryh

Perhaps not. But then why would being up against a male change the way you view it?

There's a difference..... men do not hit women..... and since there would be no difference in out come for me.... then why hit her... to make me "feel" more like a "man"?

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by wulfie68View Post

Yes, you have to be practical in such matters!

Dexter Sinister

Geez Dexter, what are you, a conservative religious gun nut Albertan?

Not even close, I'm a liberal, completely irreligious, gun owner but not nuts about it, man from Saskatchewan. But if I'm attacked, I will defend myself.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

Not even close, I'm a liberal, completely irreligious, gun owner but not nuts about it, man from Saskatchewan. But if I'm attacked, I will defend myself.

D.S. I'm surprised a seemingly intelligent person like yourself would be tethered to ANY political party, being that one is really no different from the rest - only interested in their longevity and all perks available.

Vanni Fucci

Sorry, as far as I am concerned, there is no reason what so ever to hit a woman.

What if she likes that sort of thing?

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by Vanni FucciView Post

Vanni Fucci

Just sayin'...

B00Mer

Just sayin'...

Or maybe you're into that sorta thing.. lol

JLM

THAT would probably be the poorest reason.

Is the propensity any higher in Alberta than any other province? I'd be surprised if it is. Actually I would hazard a guess,it's lower.

Vanni Fucci
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

THAT would probably be the poorest reason.

Maybe so, I was just throwing that out there, 'cause gerry was sounding all definitive and ****...

...and no Boomer, I don't plan on going out like Carradine...lol

gerryh
Nice to see how people can make light of, and joke about, hitting women.

Vanni Fucci

Is the propensity any higher in Alberta than any other province? I'd be surprised if it is. Actually I would hazard a guess,it's lower.

Oh I don't know...bankers are a strange lot, and I'll bet oil execs are no different in that regard...

I wasn't making light of hitting women gerry, I was making light of you...

B00Mer

...and no Boomer, I don't plan on going out like Carradine...lol

At least he went out with a smile on his face.. lol (other than being tied up in a closet)

... oh look at that, all the Albertans left the forum.. their GOD Harper is on TV right now giving a speech..

lol. I'm watching too.. Haper on Criminal Justice. (kick ass Harper)
Last edited by B00Mer; Mar 16th, 2012 at 11:06 AM..

JLM
+1

Time for some rational thinking, Gerry, I DON'T think hitting PEOPLE is OK, sometimes it's necessary for your health or survival- the gender of the threat doesn't enter into it. (In this day and age can you actually be certain of the gender of anyone?)

Oh I don't know...bankers are a strange lot, and I'll bet oil execs are no different in that regard...

There are probably more cowboys, farmers and ranchers than either.

gerryh

Time for some rational thinking, Gerry, I DON'T think hitting PEOPLE is OK, sometimes it's necessary for your health or survival- the gender of the threat doesn't enter into it. (In this day and age can you actually be certain of the gender of anyone?)

I don't think hitting people is ok either, and sometimes it is necessary for your health and survival.... but men do NOT hit women..period.

Now, let's address your other perceived prejudice..... what exactly do you mean with your last statement in brackets?

Ariadne
+1
My understanding from the article was that the survey was done to identify attitudes towards domestic violence and to encourage men and boys to take a stand against it. What seems to be missing from the article and survey are definitions about domestic violence. I get the impression that many believe it is defined by physical aggression.

These are also characteristics of domestic violence, or violence in general: 'verbal attacks—ridiculing, insulting, name-calling, swearing'

What is Family Violence? - Family Violence: Department of Justice Canada Overview paper (external - login to view)

Dexter Sinister
+1

D.S. I'm surprised a seemingly intelligent person like yourself would be tethered to ANY political party, being that one is really no different from the rest - only interested in their longevity and all perks available.

Yeah yeah... That was liberal, not Liberal.

The Old Medic
Alberta is also where the worst anti-native attitudes are found. I would call those men Neanderthals, but I suspect, from the evidence found in Neanderthal burials, that this would be a real insult to the neanderthals.

They truly need to enter the 20th century (forget about the 21st, they are so far behind that getting up to current levels would be impossible for them)

karrie
Is it weird that I'm offended at not being equal enough for gerry to hit me? hmmm.

Quote: Originally Posted by The Old MedicView Post

Alberta is also where the worst anti-native attitudes are found. I would call those men Neanderthals, but I suspect, from the evidence found in Neanderthal burials, that this would be a real insult to the neanderthals.

They truly need to enter the 20th century (forget about the 21st, they are so far behind that getting up to current levels would be impossible for them)

So, what is the 21st century benchmark? Note that more than 10% of men across this forum, from a variety of provinces, have stated that there are times it's okay to hit a woman.

Vanni Fucci
+2

That's right, and any "man", and I use the term VERY loosely in this context, that feels otherwise is less than useless. If you're going to hit a woman, you fu cking well better not do it in front of me.

is inconsistent with:

I don't think hitting people is ok either, and sometimes it is necessary for your health and survival.... but men do NOT hit women..period.

While it's not stated in the former statement that you would cause physical harm, it's certainly implied, and if you denied it, I'd say you were being dishonest...

Is this a double standard or a circular argument?

Either way it invalidates your apparent conviction over this matter...