Canada is too dangerous for Dick Cheney


mentalfloss
#1
Good.

Stay the hell out and keep your idiot friends with you.

Canada is too dangerous for Dick Cheney, so he cancels Toronto speech

Former U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney has cancelled an appearance at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, where he was scheduled to speak, along with his daughter Liz, on April 24 about his time in U.S. politics. Apparently, Canada is too dangerous for the Cheney family.

“Quite simply, Canada is just not a friendly country to them,” Robert Ruppert, president of Spectre-Live, the event organizer, told the Toronto Sun. “(They) decided it was better for their personal safety they stay out of Canada,” he added to the Canadian Press.

The last time Cheney visited Canada was in September of 2011, when he went to Vancouver to promote his recently published memoir, In My Time. He was greeted by protesters denouncing him as a war criminal, with some arguing that Canada should arrest him and hand him over to the International Criminal Court. After all, this is the man who claimed—wrongly (external - login to view)—there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, justifying the unprovoked American invasion of the country in 2003. He has also defended (external - login to view) the use of waterboarding, a practice widely deemed to be torture.

In Vancouver last September, anti-Cheney protesters scuffled with police and booed as guests arrived to hear Cheney speak. One man was arrested for choking a staff member at the venue, and Cheney was reportedly forced to remain inside for hours while the cops cleared out the angry crowd.

So he’s not coming back.

Those who had already bought tickets to see him in Toronto, at prices ranging from $79 to $595, will be eligible for refunds. Or they can go listen to Cheney’s replacements, the vociferous free speech advocate Mark Steyn and the Sun News Network’s Michael Coren.

Canada is too dangerous for Dick Cheney, so he cancels Toronto speech - Need to know - Macleans.ca (external - login to view)
 
Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
petros
+3
#2
See Dick run. Run Dick run!
 
B00Mer
+1
#3
"Where is that wascally wabbit??" ...and Canada is safer for it.

 
Machjo
+2
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Good.

Stay the hell out and keep your idiot friends with you.

Canada is too dangerous for Dick Cheney, so he cancels Toronto speech

Former U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney has cancelled an appearance at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, where he was scheduled to speak, along with his daughter Liz, on April 24 about his time in U.S. politics. Apparently, Canada is too dangerous for the Cheney family.

“Quite simply, Canada is just not a friendly country to them,” Robert Ruppert, president of Spectre-Live, the event organizer, told the Toronto Sun. “(They) decided it was better for their personal safety they stay out of Canada,” he added to the Canadian Press.

The last time Cheney visited Canada was in September of 2011, when he went to Vancouver to promote his recently published memoir, In My Time. He was greeted by protesters denouncing him as a war criminal, with some arguing that Canada should arrest him and hand him over to the International Criminal Court. After all, this is the man who claimed—wrongly (external - login to view)—there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, justifying the unprovoked American invasion of the country in 2003. He has also defended (external - login to view) the use of waterboarding, a practice widely deemed to be torture.

In Vancouver last September, anti-Cheney protesters scuffled with police and booed as guests arrived to hear Cheney speak. One man was arrested for choking a staff member at the venue, and Cheney was reportedly forced to remain inside for hours while the cops cleared out the angry crowd.

So he’s not coming back.

Those who had already bought tickets to see him in Toronto, at prices ranging from $79 to $595, will be eligible for refunds. Or they can go listen to Cheney’s replacements, the vociferous free speech advocate Mark Steyn and the Sun News Network’s Michael Coren.

Canada is too dangerous for Dick Cheney, so he cancels Toronto speech - Need to know - Macleans.ca (external - login to view)

That's actually embarrassing for Canada. Should he be sharged with war crimes? I don't know.

However, he has not been so charged and is therefore a free man. As such, he does have a right to protection from the mobs. This makes Canadians look like we live a vigilanty mob mentality.
 
gore0bsessed
#5
In early July 2010, Cheney was outfitted with a left-ventricular assist device (external - login to view) (LVAD) at Inova (external - login to view) Fairfax Heart and Vascular Institute to compensate for worsening congestive heart failure (external - login to view).[160] (external - login to view) The device pumps blood continuously through his body.[161] (external - login to view)[162] (external - login to view) He was released from Inova on August 9, 2010,[163] (external - login to view) and will have to decide whether to seek a full heart transplant (external - login to view).[164] (external - login to view)[165] (external - login to view) This pump is centrifugal (external - login to view) and as a result he is alive without a pulse (external - login to view).[166] (external - login to view)


en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Cheney#Health_problems (external - login to view)

This guy doesn't even have a pulse.

Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

That's actually embarrassing for Canada. Should he be sharged with war crimes? I don't know.

However, he has not been so charged and is therefore a free man. As such, he does have a right to protection from the mobs. This makes Canadians look like we live a vigilanty mob mentality.

There is nothing embarrassing about it, we shouldn't be friendly to war criminals.
 
Colpy
+3 / -1
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Good.

Stay the hell out and keep your idiot friends with you.

Canada is too dangerous for Dick Cheney, so he cancels Toronto speech

Former U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney has cancelled an appearance at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, where he was scheduled to speak, along with his daughter Liz, on April 24 about his time in U.S. politics. Apparently, Canada is too dangerous for the Cheney family.

“Quite simply, Canada is just not a friendly country to them,” Robert Ruppert, president of Spectre-Live, the event organizer, told the Toronto Sun. “(They) decided it was better for their personal safety they stay out of Canada,” he added to the Canadian Press.

The last time Cheney visited Canada was in September of 2011, when he went to Vancouver to promote his recently published memoir, In My Time. He was greeted by protesters denouncing him as a war criminal, with some arguing that Canada should arrest him and hand him over to the International Criminal Court. After all, this is the man who claimed—wrongly (external - login to view)—there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, justifying the unprovoked American invasion of the country in 2003. He has also defended (external - login to view) the use of waterboarding, a practice widely deemed to be torture.

In Vancouver last September, anti-Cheney protesters scuffled with police and booed as guests arrived to hear Cheney speak. One man was arrested for choking a staff member at the venue, and Cheney was reportedly forced to remain inside for hours while the cops cleared out the angry crowd.

So he’s not coming back.

Those who had already bought tickets to see him in Toronto, at prices ranging from $79 to $595, will be eligible for refunds. Or they can go listen to Cheney’s replacements, the vociferous free speech advocate Mark Steyn and the Sun News Network’s Michael Coren.

Canada is too dangerous for Dick Cheney, so he cancels Toronto speech - Need to know - Macleans.ca (external - login to view)

I LOVE you guys! Galloway is al right, but Cheney, who 71, and in ill health, and has to deal with THIS:



Anti-Cheney protesters outside The Vancouver Club (external - login to view)

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome

HE needs to be kept out, despite the fact he was vice-president of our greatest friend and ally. God forbid there be any dialogue!!!

Tell me, when the REAL fascist-lover scum Joo-hater Galloway was finally allowed into Canada, despite him clearly having broken Canadian law and supporting terrorist groups........what kind of protest was there?

Yes, it is the LEFT that can not deal with debate. All those that represent an opposing view MUST be silenced, according to the left........I know, that is why I abandoned them over 30 years ago..
Last edited by Colpy; Mar 13th, 2012 at 11:08 AM..
 
gore0bsessed
+1
#7
The only contradiction is that scum Harper who supports Cheney should also fear living in Canada. Regardless of health Cheney is a war criminal and should be treated accordingly.
 
Colpy
+2
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by gore0bsessedView Post

The only contradiction is that scum Harper who supports Cheney should also fear living in Canada. Regardless of health Cheney is a war criminal and should be treated accordingly.

Thank you for proving my point.

Harper is the ELECTED Prime Minister of Canada.
 
Machjo
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by gore0bsessedView Post

In early July 2010, Cheney was outfitted with a left-ventricular assist device (LVAD) at Inova Fairfax Heart and Vascular Institute to compensate for worsening congestive heart failure.[160] The device pumps blood continuously through his body.[161][162] He was released from Inova on August 9, 2010,[163] and will have to decide whether to seek a full heart transplant.[164][165] This pump is centrifugal and as a result he is alive...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
There's a difference between not being friendly and protesting in such an aggressive manner as to cause a person to feel unsafe. If you want to start a well-written petition or letter-writing campaign to have him arrested, I could agree to that in principle. But until the appropriate authorities act, he has a right to feel safe at least.

Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

I LOVE you guys! Galloway is al right, but Cheney, who 71, and in ill health, and has to deal with THIS:



Anti-Cheney protesters outside The Vancouver Club (external - login to view)

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome

HE needs to be kept out, despite the fact he was vice-president of our greatest friend and ally. God forbid there be any dialogue!!!

Tell me, when the REAL fascist-lover scum Joo-hater Galloway was finally allowed into Canada, despite him clearly having broken Canadian law and supporting terrorist groups........what kind of protest was there?

Yes, it is the LEFT that can not deal with debate. All those that represent an opposing view MUST be silenced, according to the left........I know, that is why I abandoned them over 30 years ago..

We were right to let Galloway into Canada just as we are right to let Cheney in. We were right not to mob-protest against Galloway and ought never have done so to Cheney.

Again, if anyone has an issue with it, do it the appropriate way via some letter-writing campaign or petition, but not mob-rule.

PS, this is not a right-left issue, but rather a matter of respect for the rule of law and civil order.

Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Thank you for proving my point.

Harper is the ELECTED Prime Minister of Canada.

Not quite. He's en elected MP, elected by his party as party leader. The Federal Gobvernment is not like Nunavut where the premier actually is elected by the legislature, though I would like to see that happen though.
 
EagleSmack
+2
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

There's a difference between not being friendly and protesting in such an aggressive manner as to cause a person to feel unsafe. If you want to start a well-written petition or letter-writing campaign to have him arrested, I could agree to that in principle. But until the appropriate authorities act, he has a right to feel safe at least.

.

Yeah, it doesn't fit the "polite" image that some Canadians bestow upon the citizenry of Canada across the board. This sounds a lot like how Americans are. The Left in the US act the same exact way. Freedom of Speech upon approval.
 
gore0bsessed
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Thank you for proving my point.

Harper is the ELECTED Prime Minister of Canada.

Except I read some statistic that only around 30% (or some other less than impressive percentage) of Canadians actually voted for him and the conservatives. Now we also hear about voting fraud in the news
Wave of protest against electoral fraud kicks off Saturday in Vancouver | rabble.ca (external - login to view)

Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

There's a difference between not being friendly and protesting in such an aggressive manner as to cause a person to feel unsafe. If you want to start a well-written petition or letter-writing campaign to have him arrested, I could agree to that in principle. But until the appropriate authorities act, he has a right to feel safe at least.

No I don't agree with this at all. He's a war criminal and shouldn't be made to feel safe, he has much blood and suffering on his hands.
 
Machjo
+1
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by gore0bsessedView Post

Except I read some statistic that only around 30% (or some other less than impressive percentage) of Canadians actually voted for him and the conservatives. Now we also hear about voting fraud in the news
Wave of protest against electoral fraud kicks off Saturday in Vancouver | rabble.ca (external - login to view)



No I don't agree with this at all. He's a war criminal and shouldn't be made to feel safe, he has much blood and suffering on his hands.

Don't confound Harper with the Conservatives. The only people who voted for him as MP were some his constituents. And the only ones who'd elected him as party leader were card-carrying party members. The combination of these caused him to become PM by default. Unlike in Nunavut, the PM is not elected by Parliament. And unlike the US pres, he is not elected directly by the people either.

Quote: Originally Posted by gore0bsessedView Post

Except I read some statistic that only around 30% (or some other less than impressive percentage) of Canadians actually voted for him and the conservatives. Now we also hear about voting fraud in the news
Wave of protest against electoral fraud kicks off Saturday in Vancouver | rabble.ca (external - login to view)



No I don't agree with this at all. He's a war criminal and shouldn't be made to feel safe, he has much blood and suffering on his hands.

So if the local community believes Susie is a murderer since she got an abortion, they therefore have a right to harass and threaten her because this is what they believe? And what about the abortionist? Do we have a right to go out and firebomb his house too if we believe he's a murderer?

There is a purpose to the rule of law. While it would be fine to start a petition to have him arrested if that's what you believe, it's not acceptable in a civilized country to turn to mob rule, for the obvious reason mentioned above that we don't always agree with what is or ought to be a crime.
 
wulfie68
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by gore0bsessedView Post

Except I read some statistic that only around 30% (or some other less than impressive percentage) of Canadians actually voted for him and the conservatives. Now we also hear about voting fraud in the news
Wave of protest against electoral fraud kicks off Saturday in Vancouver | rabble.ca (external - login to view)

Well, it was around 37% of those who cared enough to vote. In reality, its much less than that (around 22% of total population, but that includes children who aren't eligible) but that's the way the system work: very few PMs have had 50% of the vote since the rise of the NDP. The last one to do so was Brian Mulroney. The voter fraud allegations are hazy for a number of reasons as well, such as no one knows who actually is responsible or even if the robocalls ARE illegal (IMO they should be but...).

Quote: Originally Posted by gore0bsessedView Post

No I don't agree with this at all. He's a war criminal and shouldn't be made to feel safe, he has much blood and suffering on his hands.

And you're wrong.

He is not a war criminal however much you may wish to claim him so. He has not been convicted in any court that can claim jurisdiction over his actions. He may be immoral and unethical, and he may deserve bad karma but in our society we believe in due process. Until such time as he has had his due process and found guilty, he is NOT a criminal.
 
talloola
+2
#14
good, i'm glad that has happened, and its too bad it didn't happen when bush was coming to canada
to speak, (well, talk).

There are so many very well respected people in this world who could actually enhance our lives,
and we wouldn't have to settle for b.s, and double talk, and spin.
 
wulfie68
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

good, i'm glad that has happened, and its too bad it didn't happen when bush was coming to canada
to speak, (well, talk).

There are so many very well respected people in this world who could actually enhance our lives,
and we wouldn't have to settle for b.s, and double talk, and spin.

But who are you to decide what is BS and what isn't? Isn't that for people to decide for themselves? If you don't want to see him speak, then don't go. Don't buy his book. That people are acting like thugs to keep out "undesirables" (and believe me, I am not a Cheney fan), should sadden anyone who does believe in freedom of expression, as these people are killing it.
 
mentalfloss
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

good, i'm glad that has happened, and its too bad it didn't happen when bush was coming to canada
to speak, (well, talk).

There are so many very well respected people in this world who could actually enhance our lives,
and we wouldn't have to settle for b.s, and double talk, and spin.

Exactly.

No one is barring him entry, but we have every right to expose the fact that he's a complete douchebag and is unwanted.

Let's be honest here - who in their right mind would defend Dick Cheney? lol
 
relic
+1
#17
Is he being prevented from crossing the border,he's the one decided not to come,has anyone directly threatened him or his,or meby he just decided the he wasn't getting paid enough.Who the hell cares anyway ?
 
Niflmir
+2
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

I LOVE you guys! Galloway is al right, but Cheney, who 71, and in ill health, and has to deal with THIS:



Anti-Cheney protesters outside The Vancouver Club (external - login to view)

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome

HE needs to be kept out, despite the fact he was vice-president of our greatest friend and ally. God forbid there be any dialogue!!!

Tell me, when the REAL fascist-lover scum Joo-hater Galloway was finally allowed into Canada, despite him clearly having broken Canadian law and supporting terrorist groups........what kind of protest was there?

Yes, it is the LEFT that can not deal with debate. All those that represent an opposing view MUST be silenced, according to the left........I know, that is why I abandoned them over 30 years ago..

You fail to make a point. Cheney is quite free to come to Canada to speak, nobody is keeping him out. He has elected not to come because of the protests against him. Protests that should be sanctioned in a free and democratic society, the sort of protests that Galloway also faced: Galloway speech survives protests at York University | CTV News

Then you attack the left because... I don't know. Apparently, somebody put a fly in your ointment and you need somebody to blame. You seem to be suggesting that it is impossible for somebody from the right to consider waterboarding to be torture and therefore to consider Cheney a criminal?

That isn't debate, Colpy. That is ranting and pointless mud slinging.
 
gore0bsessed
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

Don't confound Harper with the Conservatives. The only people who voted for him as MP were some his constituents. And the only ones who'd elected him as party leader were card-carrying party members. The combination of these caused him to become PM by default. Unlike in Nunavut, the PM is not elected by Parliament. And unlike the US pres, he is not elected directly by the people either.

Thanks for the clarification, I do need a better understanding of how the Canadian electoral system works.

Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

So if the local community believes Susie is a murderer since she got an abortion, they therefore have a right to harass and threaten her because this is what they believe? And what about the abortionist? Do we have a right to go out and firebomb his house too if we believe he's a murderer?

There is a purpose to the rule of law. While it would be fine to start a petition to have him arrested if that's what you believe, it's not acceptable in a civilized country to turn to mob rule, for the obvious reason mentioned above that we don't always agree with what is or ought to be a crime.

No. Abortion is a non-crime in most civilized places, while what Dick Cheney did is universally known as a crime against humanity.
 
Machjo
#20
At the end of the day the question is: do you believe in the presumption of innocence?

Quote: Originally Posted by gore0bsessedView Post

No. Abortion is a non-crime in most civilized places, while what Dick Cheney did is universally known as a crime against humanity.

If so, why has he not been charged yet. If you are indeed correct, certainly a petition to the world court ought to suffice, right?
 
gore0bsessed
+1
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

At the end of the day the question is: do you believe in the presumption of innocence?



If so, why has he not been charged yet. If you are indeed correct, certainly a petition to the world court ought to suffice, right?

Basically because the USA is world's only superpower and they do what they want regardless of laws. It's not just Cheney but the entire Bush administration that have committed these crimes. Also not everyone sees these as crimes, there are more people like Colpy who thinks he's a good man for massacring a bunch Muslims.
 
mentalfloss
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

You fail to make a point. Cheney is quite free to come to Canada to speak, nobody is keeping him out. He has elected not to come because of the protests against him. Protests that should be sanctioned in a free and democratic society, the sort of protests that Galloway also faced: Galloway speech survives protests at York University | CTV News

That isn't debate, Colpy. That is ranting and pointless mud slinging.


 
Colpy
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by gore0bsessedView Post

Basically because the USA is world's only superpower and they do what they want regardless of laws. It's not just Cheney but the entire Bush administration that have committed these crimes. Also not everyone sees these as crimes, there are more people like Colpy who thinks he's a good man for massacring a bunch Muslims.

International Law is a bad joke, rightfully ignored by every nation on earth when broader interests are involved. We are NOT a federation of nations, but a competitive world in which conflict often settles our most serious differences. There is no consensus on what ideas, what systems, what culture best serves the needs of man.

But only one operates on the foundation of the right of the individual, and the rule of law as passed down by the elected representatives of those individuals.

And it ain't the Chinese model, nor the Ba'athist model, nor the Islamic model, it is ONLY the model of the west.

War is diplomacy by other means, to paraphrase von Clauswitz.

Ever has it been so, and I fear greatly for our liberty and our "civilization" should it ever change.

You never ONCE heard me say (or read me write) that Cheney is a "good" man.
Last edited by Colpy; Mar 13th, 2012 at 12:57 PM..
 
Machjo
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by gore0bsessedView Post

Basically because the USA is world's only superpower and they do what they want regardless of laws. It's not just Cheney but the entire Bush administration that have committed these crimes. Also not everyone sees these as crimes, there are more people like Colpy who thinks he's a good man for massacring a bunch Muslims.

Then why target Cheney if there is nothing we can do about it? Instead, how about targeting our membership in NATO and NORAD so as to weaken the US' superpower status by a little at least.
 
Niflmir
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

At the end of the day the question is: do you believe in the presumption of innocence?



If so, why has he not been charged yet. If you are indeed correct, certainly a petition to the world court ought to suffice, right?

For the same reason that Frances Townsend hasn't been charged with material support for terrorism despite taking money from, and advocating on behalf of Mujahideen-e Khalq: unequal application of the law based on class. The Spanish opened a lawsuit to look into it, and Obama lobbied them to stop it based on his decree of "Look Forwards, Not Backwards".
 
Machjo
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

For the same reason that Frances Townsend hasn't been charged with material support for terrorism despite taking money from, and advocating on behalf of Mujahideen-e Khalq: unequal application of the law based on class. The Spanish opened a lawsuit to look into it, and Obama lobbied them to stop it based on his decree of "Look Forwards, Not Backwards".

Like I said, if the US is so unfair, then rather than target one man, how about we target the policies that allow this to happen. Let's withdraw our membership from NATO and NORAD for example.

But to target Cheney personally in an aggressive street protest just makes us look like idiots.
 
mentalfloss
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

But to target Cheney personally in an aggressive street protest just makes us look like idiots.

I'm pretty sure no one but you and Colpy thinks Canadians are idiots for protesting known unknown guy. And putting this one protest within the greater context of U.S. policy is a red herring.
 
Machjo
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

I'm pretty sure no one but you and Colpy thinks Canadians are idiots for protesting known unknown guy.

????

Again, if any person reserves the right to declare Cheney a criminal, then do I have a right to decide whom I think is criminal or not and just start acting vigilanty style at will?
 
mentalfloss
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

Again, if any person reserves the right to declare Cheney a criminal, then do I have a right to decide whom I think is criminal or not and just start acting vigilanty style at will?

No, of course not.

We're talking about regular protests here.
 
Colpy
+2
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

I'm pretty sure no one but you and Colpy thinks Canadians are idiots for protesting known unknown guy. And putting this one protest within the greater context of U.S. policy is a red herring.

I have NO problem with people protesting....please do! It is your right to make sure your voice is heard......which is why I contrasted the anti-Galloway protests with the anti-Cheney protests (or anti-Netanyahu, or anti-Coulter). The former included (as far as I can see) people shouting slogans and carrying signs........as is their right, and totally in accordance with custom and the ethics of peaceful protest.

If you find anything different, I'd love to hear about it!

Contrast that with the attacks and threats of violence from the left.

Then tell me again about the "conversation" we should be having.
 

Similar Threads

4
Dick Cheney - The Real Satan
by Mowich | Dec 11th, 2009
16
Watching Obama Morph Into Dick Cheney
by JBeee | May 22nd, 2009
45
Should Dick Cheney Be Hanged?
by Stretch | Dec 27th, 2008
3
Did Dick Cheney pass away?
by Kreskin | Sep 6th, 2008
2
Dick Cheney - What a man
by moghrabi | Nov 21st, 2004
no new posts