Canada is too dangerous for Dick Cheney

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Good.

Stay the hell out and keep your idiot friends with you.

Canada is too dangerous for Dick Cheney, so he cancels Toronto speech

Former U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney has cancelled an appearance at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, where he was scheduled to speak, along with his daughter Liz, on April 24 about his time in U.S. politics. Apparently, Canada is too dangerous for the Cheney family.

“Quite simply, Canada is just not a friendly country to them,” Robert Ruppert, president of Spectre-Live, the event organizer, told the Toronto Sun. “(They) decided it was better for their personal safety they stay out of Canada,” he added to the Canadian Press.

The last time Cheney visited Canada was in September of 2011, when he went to Vancouver to promote his recently published memoir, In My Time. He was greeted by protesters denouncing him as a war criminal, with some arguing that Canada should arrest him and hand him over to the International Criminal Court. After all, this is the man who claimed—wrongly—there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, justifying the unprovoked American invasion of the country in 2003. He has also defended the use of waterboarding, a practice widely deemed to be torture.

In Vancouver last September, anti-Cheney protesters scuffled with police and booed as guests arrived to hear Cheney speak. One man was arrested for choking a staff member at the venue, and Cheney was reportedly forced to remain inside for hours while the cops cleared out the angry crowd.

So he’s not coming back.

Those who had already bought tickets to see him in Toronto, at prices ranging from $79 to $595, will be eligible for refunds. Or they can go listen to Cheney’s replacements, the vociferous free speech advocate Mark Steyn and the Sun News Network’s Michael Coren.

Canada is too dangerous for Dick Cheney, so he cancels Toronto speech - Need to know - Macleans.ca

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
"Where is that wascally wabbit??" ...and Canada is safer for it.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Good.

Former U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney has cancelled an appearance at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, where he was scheduled to speak, along with his daughter Liz, on April 24 about his time in U.S. politics. Apparently, Canada is too dangerous for the Cheney family.

“Quite simply, Canada is just not a friendly country to them,” Robert Ruppert, president of Spectre-Live, the event organizer, told the Toronto Sun. “(They) decided it was better for their personal safety they stay out of Canada,” he added to the Canadian Press.

The last time Cheney visited Canada was in September of 2011, when he went to Vancouver to promote his recently published memoir, In My Time. He was greeted by protesters denouncing him as a war criminal, with some arguing that Canada should arrest him and hand him over to the International Criminal Court. After all, this is the man who claimed—wrongly—there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, justifying the unprovoked American invasion of the country in 2003. He has also defended the use of waterboarding, a practice widely deemed to be torture.

In Vancouver last September, anti-Cheney protesters scuffled with police and booed as guests arrived to hear Cheney speak. One man was arrested for choking a staff member at the venue, and Cheney was reportedly forced to remain inside for hours while the cops cleared out the angry crowd.

So he’s not coming back.

Those who had already bought tickets to see him in Toronto, at prices ranging from $79 to $595, will be eligible for refunds. Or they can go listen to Cheney’s replacements, the vociferous free speech advocate Mark Steyn and the Sun News Network’s Michael Coren.

Canada is too dangerous for Dick Cheney, so he cancels Toronto speech - Need to know - Macleans.ca

That's actually embarrassing for Canada. Should he be sharged with war crimes? I don't know.

However, he has not been so charged and is therefore a free man. As such, he does have a right to protection from the mobs. This makes Canadians look like we live a vigilanty mob mentality.

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
In early July 2010, Cheney was outfitted with a left-ventricular assist device (LVAD) at Inova Fairfax Heart and Vascular Institute to compensate for worsening congestive heart failure.[160] The device pumps blood continuously through his body.[161][162] He was released from Inova on August 9, 2010,[163] and will have to decide whether to seek a full heart transplant.[164][165] This pump is centrifugal and as a result he is alive without a pulse.[166]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Cheney#Health_problems

This guy doesn't even have a pulse.

That's actually embarrassing for Canada. Should he be sharged with war crimes? I don't know.

However, he has not been so charged and is therefore a free man. As such, he does have a right to protection from the mobs. This makes Canadians look like we live a vigilanty mob mentality.
There is nothing embarrassing about it, we shouldn't be friendly to war criminals.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Good.

So he’s not coming back.

I LOVE you guys! Galloway is al right, but Cheney, who 71, and in ill health, and has to deal with THIS:

Anti-Cheney protesters outside The Vancouver Club

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/...harged_assault_110929?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

HE needs to be kept out, despite the fact he was vice-president of our greatest friend and ally. God forbid there be any dialogue!!!

Tell me, when the REAL fascist-lover scum Joo-hater Galloway was finally allowed into Canada, despite him clearly having broken Canadian law and supporting terrorist groups........what kind of protest was there?

Yes, it is the LEFT that can not deal with debate. All those that represent an opposing view MUST be silenced, according to the left........I know, that is why I abandoned them over 30 years ago..

Last edited:

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
The only contradiction is that scum Harper who supports Cheney should also fear living in Canada. Regardless of health Cheney is a war criminal and should be treated accordingly.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The only contradiction is that scum Harper who supports Cheney should also fear living in Canada. Regardless of health Cheney is a war criminal and should be treated accordingly.

Thank you for proving my point.

Harper is the ELECTED Prime Minister of Canada.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
In early July 2010, Cheney was outfitted with a left-ventricular assist device (LVAD) at Inova Fairfax Heart and Vascular Institute to compensate for worsening congestive heart failure.[160] The device pumps blood continuously through his body.[161][162] He was released from Inova on August 9, 2010,[163] and will have to decide whether to seek a full heart transplant.[164][165] This pump is centrifugal and as a result he is alive without a pulse.[166]

Dick Cheney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This guy doesn't even have a pulse.

There is nothing embarrassing about it, we shouldn't be friendly to war criminals.

There's a difference between not being friendly and protesting in such an aggressive manner as to cause a person to feel unsafe. If you want to start a well-written petition or letter-writing campaign to have him arrested, I could agree to that in principle. But until the appropriate authorities act, he has a right to feel safe at least.

I LOVE you guys! Galloway is al right, but Cheney, who 71, and in ill health, and has to deal with THIS:

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/...harged_assault_110929?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

HE needs to be kept out, despite the fact he was vice-president of our greatest friend and ally. God forbid there be any dialogue!!!

Tell me, when the REAL fascist-lover scum Joo-hater Galloway was finally allowed into Canada, despite him clearly having broken Canadian law and supporting terrorist groups........what kind of protest was there?

Yes, it is the LEFT that can not deal with debate. All those that represent an opposing view MUST be silenced, according to the left........I know, that is why I abandoned them over 30 years ago..

We were right to let Galloway into Canada just as we are right to let Cheney in. We were right not to mob-protest against Galloway and ought never have done so to Cheney.

Again, if anyone has an issue with it, do it the appropriate way via some letter-writing campaign or petition, but not mob-rule.

PS, this is not a right-left issue, but rather a matter of respect for the rule of law and civil order.

Not quite. He's en elected MP, elected by his party as party leader. The Federal Gobvernment is not like Nunavut where the premier actually is elected by the legislature, though I would like to see that happen though.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
There's a difference between not being friendly and protesting in such an aggressive manner as to cause a person to feel unsafe. If you want to start a well-written petition or letter-writing campaign to have him arrested, I could agree to that in principle. But until the appropriate authorities act, he has a right to feel safe at least.

Yeah, it doesn't fit the "polite" image that some Canadians bestow upon the citizenry of Canada across the board. This sounds a lot like how Americans are. The Left in the US act the same exact way. Freedom of Speech upon approval.

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011

Except I read some statistic that only around 30% (or some other less than impressive percentage) of Canadians actually voted for him and the conservatives. Now we also hear about voting fraud in the news
Wave of protest against electoral fraud kicks off Saturday in Vancouver | rabble.ca

No I don't agree with this at all. He's a war criminal and shouldn't be made to feel safe, he has much blood and suffering on his hands.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Except I read some statistic that only around 30% (or some other less than impressive percentage) of Canadians actually voted for him and the conservatives. Now we also hear about voting fraud in the news
Wave of protest against electoral fraud kicks off Saturday in Vancouver | rabble.ca

No I don't agree with this at all. He's a war criminal and shouldn't be made to feel safe, he has much blood and suffering on his hands.

Don't confound Harper with the Conservatives. The only people who voted for him as MP were some his constituents. And the only ones who'd elected him as party leader were card-carrying party members. The combination of these caused him to become PM by default. Unlike in Nunavut, the PM is not elected by Parliament. And unlike the US pres, he is not elected directly by the people either.

So if the local community believes Susie is a murderer since she got an abortion, they therefore have a right to harass and threaten her because this is what they believe? And what about the abortionist? Do we have a right to go out and firebomb his house too if we believe he's a murderer?

There is a purpose to the rule of law. While it would be fine to start a petition to have him arrested if that's what you believe, it's not acceptable in a civilized country to turn to mob rule, for the obvious reason mentioned above that we don't always agree with what is or ought to be a crime.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

Well, it was around 37% of those who cared enough to vote. In reality, its much less than that (around 22% of total population, but that includes children who aren't eligible) but that's the way the system work: very few PMs have had 50% of the vote since the rise of the NDP. The last one to do so was Brian Mulroney. The voter fraud allegations are hazy for a number of reasons as well, such as no one knows who actually is responsible or even if the robocalls ARE illegal (IMO they should be but...).

And you're wrong.

He is not a war criminal however much you may wish to claim him so. He has not been convicted in any court that can claim jurisdiction over his actions. He may be immoral and unethical, and he may deserve bad karma but in our society we believe in due process. Until such time as he has had his due process and found guilty, he is NOT a criminal.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
good, i'm glad that has happened, and its too bad it didn't happen when bush was coming to canada
to speak, (well, talk).

There are so many very well respected people in this world who could actually enhance our lives,
and we wouldn't have to settle for b.s, and double talk, and spin.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
good, i'm glad that has happened, and its too bad it didn't happen when bush was coming to canada
to speak, (well, talk).

There are so many very well respected people in this world who could actually enhance our lives,

But who are you to decide what is BS and what isn't? Isn't that for people to decide for themselves? If you don't want to see him speak, then don't go. Don't buy his book. That people are acting like thugs to keep out "undesirables" (and believe me, I am not a Cheney fan), should sadden anyone who does believe in freedom of expression, as these people are killing it.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
to speak, (well, talk).

Exactly.

No one is barring him entry, but we have every right to expose the fact that he's a complete douchebag and is unwanted.

Let's be honest here - who in their right mind would defend Dick Cheney? lol

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Is he being prevented from crossing the border,he's the one decided not to come,has anyone directly threatened him or his,or meby he just decided the he wasn't getting paid enough.Who the hell cares anyway ?

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands

You fail to make a point. Cheney is quite free to come to Canada to speak, nobody is keeping him out. He has elected not to come because of the protests against him. Protests that should be sanctioned in a free and democratic society, the sort of protests that Galloway also faced: Galloway speech survives protests at York University | CTV News

Then you attack the left because... I don't know. Apparently, somebody put a fly in your ointment and you need somebody to blame. You seem to be suggesting that it is impossible for somebody from the right to consider waterboarding to be torture and therefore to consider Cheney a criminal?

That isn't debate, Colpy. That is ranting and pointless mud slinging.

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
Don't confound Harper with the Conservatives. The only people who voted for him as MP were some his constituents. And the only ones who'd elected him as party leader were card-carrying party members. The combination of these caused him to become PM by default. Unlike in Nunavut, the PM is not elected by Parliament. And unlike the US pres, he is not elected directly by the people either.
Thanks for the clarification, I do need a better understanding of how the Canadian electoral system works.

So if the local community believes Susie is a murderer since she got an abortion, they therefore have a right to harass and threaten her because this is what they believe? And what about the abortionist? Do we have a right to go out and firebomb his house too if we believe he's a murderer?

There is a purpose to the rule of law. While it would be fine to start a petition to have him arrested if that's what you believe, it's not acceptable in a civilized country to turn to mob rule, for the obvious reason mentioned above that we don't always agree with what is or ought to be a crime.

No. Abortion is a non-crime in most civilized places, while what Dick Cheney did is universally known as a crime against humanity.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
At the end of the day the question is: do you believe in the presumption of innocence?

No. Abortion is a non-crime in most civilized places, while what Dick Cheney did is universally known as a crime against humanity.

If so, why has he not been charged yet. If you are indeed correct, certainly a petition to the world court ought to suffice, right?