Jann Arden kicked off Via Rail train for boarding with dog

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Jann Arden kicked off Via Rail train for boarding with dog

OTTAWA — Juno-award winning singer Jann Arden has unleashed a furious Twitter tirade against Via Rail after she was kicked off a train for travelling with her pint-sized dog Midi.

The Canadian singer-songwriter was on her way to Ottawa from Toronto on Sunday to perform at the National Arts Centre, but was asked to disembark in Oshawa, Ont., because the company doesn’t allow pets to travel in passenger cars.

Arden, 49, immediately turned to Twitter, where she shared her displeasure with about 38,000 followers.

“Midi and I got booted off of via rail on route to Ottawa . . . scrambled and am in a town car now,” she tweeted at 11:03 a.m. She added soon after: “To clarify the kicked off train thing . . . you apparently can’t have little quiet dogs in bags who are sound asleep I might add. S—balls . . .”

The acerbic singer’s Twitter feed was active for much of the afternoon.

She told the company to “eat my bra” and asked what it would have done “with an 86 yr old woman with a little dog in a bag? Dump HER at the next station?”

And she claimed she was dropped off “in the middle of nowhere,” when in fact it was Oshawa, where she said she hired a car and driver to bring her the rest of way to Ottawa in time for the concert.

“The show will go on!” Arden tweeted.

Sunday night, at the NAC’s stage door, Arden said many Via Rail employees saw the dog without informing her of the policy before the “drink cart guy” made an issue of the three-year-old female “morky” — part Maltese, part Yorkshire terrier.

Source: Jann Arden kicked off Via Rail train for boarding with her Yorkshire terrier-cross | News | National Post

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

LOL I never even new of Jann Arden until I saw her on Rick Mercer Report..

[youtube]3KkK35y8MAA[/youtube]

Geeez watching this, my balls shrink up like peas.. I don't like heights!!!

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Did Arden think that she was special and that she did not have to follow the rules? When did she become so obnoxious? Who in their right mind travels with an animal but doesn't check the rules?

"Pets — excluding guide dogs — are not allowed in passenger cars. They must travel in the baggage car, which means aboard trains that offer checked baggage service."

Travelling with pets on board the train | VIA Rail

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
yeah, why should she be given special consideration, she's no better than anyone who loves their dogs,
and would love to travel with them.

rules are rules, and I agree with VIA rail, kick her butt off the train.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
yeah, why should she be given special consideration, she's no better than anyone who loves their dogs,

Do you think that everyone should have the right to take their pet cat, dog, rabbit and snake into the passenger compartment? Are you suggesting that VIARail should change their rules, or are you suggesting that a loud mouth, obnoxious (by the sounds of it) woman should have been able to have her way after violating the widely available rules?

... or maybe she can become a spokes person for changing the laws in Canada to make travel more accessible for pet owners..

I support her.. just hope the sword she just fell on wasn't too sharp.

Loud mouthed women with pets should have more rights than people with allergies to pets?

The woman had every right to take her pet with her, all she had to do was put it in the baggage cart with the other pets. Did she think the rules only applied to other people?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Do you think that everyone should have the right to take their pet cat, dog, rabbit and snake into the passenger compartment? Are you suggesting that VIARail should change their rules, or are you suggesting that a loud mouth, obnoxious (by the sounds of it) woman should have been able to have her way after violating the widely available rules?

Loud mouthed women with pets should have more rights than people with allergies to pets?

The woman had every right to take her pet with her, all she had to do was put it in the baggage cart with the other pets. Did she think the rules only applied to other people?

you better read my post again, I said the exact opposite.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands

I agree with you that rules are rules, and she doesn't deserve special treatment. But having been on many a train with many a dog while I was in Germany, I don't see the point of this particular rule. I think the train over a flight is a logical choice for a person with a dog.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

The rule allows for guide dogs. What will the allergic people do then?

Either allow all on or none.

I'm in favour of all.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I agree with you that rules are rules, and she doesn't deserve special treatment. But having been on many a train with many a dog while I was in Germany, I don't see the point of this particular rule. I think the train over a flight is a logical choice for a person with a dog.

This could be a huge marketing tools for Via rail to step up and say they change the rules to allow caged dogs and cats under 25 lbs.

They may get 1000's of new customers and pull them away from the Air Lines..

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
you better read my post again, I said the exact opposite.

Sorry ... I need to stop multitasking ... can't do it right anymore.

This could be a huge marketing tools for Via rail to step up and say they change the rules to allow caged dogs and cats under 25 lbs.

They may get 1000's of new customers and pull them away from the Air Lines..

They'll lose a thousand customers. I can't be near someone that has cat hair on their clothes without have a serious allergic reaction. I say keep the pets in the baggage compartment where they belong.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Sunday night, at the NAC’s stage door, Arden said many Via Rail employees saw the dog without informing her of the policy before the “drink cart guy” made an issue of the three-year-old female “morky” — part Maltese, part Yorkshire terrier.

See that right there, in bold. That's the reason small breed dogs should not be allowed to be inter-bred. The "new breed" created always has a really stupid name. :)

A purse pooch is not a real dog anyway. It's just a facsimile of a dog, lol.

I'll assume that's the one where they went on the walk outside of the CN Tower and I won't press play. ;)

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
LOL I never even new of Jann Arden until I saw her on Rick Mercer Report..

I watched the video and the entire time I was seriously waiting for either one of them to fall. I think if I had balls, they would have shrunk up, too. I don't just like heights, the one time I went to Toronto and saw the CN tower from the ground up, I got dizzy and almost fell over. 8O