CBC Braces For Deep Budget Cuts


B00Mer
#1


MONTREAL - The head of the CBC says he fears that imminent budget cuts might affect programming and is anxious to learn what percentage of funding he will lose.

In a speech to the Montreal Board of Trade, Hubert Lacroix said Friday that he's wondering whether the looming cuts will keep the CBC from fulfilling the objectives set out in its latest strategic review.

The comments come as the Harper government prepares deep spending reductions in its upcoming budget, with departments being asked to prepare scenarios for clawbacks of either five or 10 per cent.

''The questions preoccupying me right now, just a few weeks before the (federal) budget, are very simple: How many dollars will be taken away, and how quickly?'' Lacroix said.

''Will we be able to respect the promises laid out in our strategic plan? How many jobs will be affected by these cuts?''

Lacroix said that, upon ''reading the tea leaves we think (the cutback) might be closer to 10 per cent,'' although he stressed that he had no idea what the government is planning.

CBC/Radio-Canada receives $1.1 billion a year. The Crown corporation already cut $171 million from its budget two years ago and eliminated 800 jobs at the time.

In his speech, Lacroix said there was no viable public model for Canadian broadcasting to survive without government support — not even in the private sector.

He expressed frustration with all the criticism levelled by the Quebecor media chain against public money going to the CBC. Lacroix said he estimates that private broadcasters also receive $900 million a year in subsidies and ''other advantages'' from the public purse — including Quebecor.

According to Lacroix, the CBC costs each Canadian $34 per year and offers quality service for that money.

Source: Canada Budget 2012: CBC Braces For Budget Cut Of Unknown Size (external - login to view)

////////////////////////////////////////

As long as they don't mess with my Arctic Air... Damit

 
L Gilbert
+4
#2  Top Rated Post
"According to Lacroix, the CBC costs each Canadian $34 per year and offers quality service for that money." I'll chip in an extra c-note. I like CBC radio 1 & 2.
 
B00Mer
#3
yeah.. me too.. I would be happy to drop a C-note for Canadian Culture.
 
L Gilbert
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

"According to Lacroix, the CBC costs each Canadian $34 per year and offers quality service for that money." I'll chip in an extra c-note. I like CBC radio 1 & 2.

Done.
 
WLDB
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

"According to Lacroix, the CBC costs each Canadian $34 per year and offers quality service for that money." I'll chip in an extra c-note. I like CBC radio 1 & 2.

Same. They should try going more public, like TVO. Then we wont have to deal with commercials.
 
mentalfloss
+1
#6
It's a shame they don't receive more funding. They have the best news outlet around.
 
Kakato
+1
#7
I like the radio but after 2 months with nothing but CBC for television I dont want to ever see another episode of Coronation street.
 
pgs
+3
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by KakatoView Post

I like the radio but after 2 months with nothing but CBC for television I dont want to ever see another episode of Coronation street.

Privatize it and then we would not have to waste 1.1 billion $ of our tax.
We must start slowing the strain on the public purse.
And eliminating old and out of date entities is a good way to start.
If CBC can stand alone as a private company it will survive,
If not change the channel.
 
L Gilbert
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by pgsView Post

Privatize it and then we would not have to waste 1.1 billion $ of our tax.
We must start slowing the strain on the public purse.
And eliminating old and out of date entities is a good way to start.
If CBC can stand alone as a private company it will survive,
If not change the channel.

I don't know about you but I kind of like listening to CBC because of the low quantity of ads. So it isn't a waste in my books. I am willing to pay to keep the ads off. You want it to go private, expect loads of ads.
 
Tonington
+2
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

I don't know about you but I kind of like listening to CBC because of the low quantity of ads. So it isn't a waste in my books. I am willing to pay to keep the ads off. You want it to go private, expect loads of ads.

Not only that, economic analysis has shown that the investment in CBC pays for itself in the spin-off economic impacts. In 2010, the $1.7 billion given to the CBC yielded $3.7 billion worth of economic activity in Canada. So, paying for the CBC, that's a no-brainer.

ETA: link cbc.radio-canada.ca/about/Eco...t-Deloitte.pdf (external - login to view)
Last edited by Tonington; Mar 12th, 2012 at 04:13 PM..
 
L Gilbert
#11
Yep.
 
pgs
+2
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Not only that, economic analysis has shown that the investment in CBC pays for itself in the spin-off economic impacts. In 2010, the $1.7 billion given to the CBC yielded $3.7 billion worth of economic activity in Canada. So, paying for the CBC, that's a no-brainer.

ETA: link cbc.radio-canada.ca/about/Eco...t-Deloitte.pdf (external - login to view)

How much economic activity would it have yeilded if it was a private entity?
I am sure many people enjoy radio tv and french programming,however there is plenty of that available
in all markets.In case you missed it the internet is making the world a much smaller place.
We no longer need the CBC.
 
L Gilbert
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by pgsView Post

How much economic activity would it have yeilded if it was a private entity?
I am sure many people enjoy radio tv and french programming,however there is plenty of that available
in all markets.In case you missed it the internet is making the world a much smaller place.
We no longer need the CBC.

"We"? You mean you "no longer need the CBC".
 
Tonington
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by pgsView Post

We no longer need the CBC.

By we you mean you. By you you mean if your life isn't impacted. By impacted I mean the $3.7 billion in spin-offs to people who work in private industry. By work I mean the jobs that are created/sustained by those spin-offs.

How nice of you to speak on their behalf.
 
pgs
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

By we you mean you. By you you mean if your life isn't impacted. By impacted I mean the $3.7 billion in spin-offs to people who work in private industry. By work I mean the jobs that are created/sustained by those spin-offs.

How nice of you to speak on their behalf.

How much more would it be if they were a private entity?
 
Tonington
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by pgsView Post

How much more would it be if they were a private entity?

Less, not more. Lay your assumptions on out then

Well, the $3.7 billion becomes $1.1 billion.
 
Liberalman
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by pgsView Post

How much more would it be if they were a private entity?

A private entity will not push the Canadian culture and as far as our Conservative government is concerned American programming is fine with them.
 
pgs
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

A private entity will not push the Canadian culture and as far as our Conservative government is concerned American programming is fine with them.


What is Canadian about Coronation Street or Wheel of Fortune?
 
taxslave
#19
I want my $34 back. Bad enough that CRTC which is the enforcement arm of CBC makes us pat Saw Cable for about 4 CBC channels we don't want or watch but having to finance producing the trash is too much.
 
B00Mer
+2
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by pgsView Post

What is Canadian about Coronation Street or Wheel of Fortune?

Arctic Air, Rick Mercer Report, Little Mosque on the Prairie,The Nature of things, CBC News

Lets roll.. bring it on pgs. come on, come on..

I have both DirecTV and Telus here in Canada and I still want my Canadian TV!!
 
Tonington
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

I want my $34 back.

Besides the fact that it's a multiplier for our economy, that would be a pretty bad precedent wouldn't it? How many folks do you think would want their money back for the RCMP? Or the military? Before you know it, who is funding anything at all?
 
pgs
+1
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Arctic Air, Rick Mercer Report, Little Mosque on the Prairie,The Nature of things, CBC News

Lets roll.. bring it on pgs. come on, come on..

I have both DirecTV and Telus here in Canada and I still want my Canadian TV!!

Never seen Artic Air if it is any good a private network will pick it up.
Rick Mercer cheep biased comedy any producer could copy.
Little Mosque on the Prairie,cheep politically correct pap.
The Nature of Things more biased politically correct pap.
CBC News the same as any other network. The political commentary however is biased.
I don't want nor do I think Canada needs any of the above from a national broadcaster.
Unfortunatly I am only one voice,however I am sure there are many who agree with me.
 
taxslave
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Besides the fact that it's a multiplier for our economy, that would be a pretty bad precedent wouldn't it? How many folks do you think would want their money back for the RCMP? Or the military? Before you know it, who is funding anything at all?

Aside from the fact that there is no multiplier in spending tax dollars since that is simply taking away your discretion as to where you spend your money. We sort of need the RCMP and the military whereas there are plenty of private broadcasters out there that cater to a wide variety of tastes.
I often listen to CBC news early in the morning but by 0800 I've heard it and change the station to one that has music. If we are far enough out , which happens I use satellite radio which is dirt cheap and has lots of choices.
 
Tonington
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by pgsView Post

Never seen Artic Air if it is any good a private network will pick it up.

If it is any good (I like it) what makes you think CBC will give it up?
 
captain morgan
+1
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by pgsView Post

How much more would it be if they were a private entity?


That's a tough question to answer, but here's a starting point in the $3.7 billion claim.

The CBC and the voodoo of (external - login to view)

"To be fair to the CBC, it is just repeating a platitude, which though mistaken is nonetheless widely disseminated. Indeed, just about everything and everyone under the sun brags about generating “economic spin-offs.” From the dairy industry to the nuclear industry, not to mention all sports and cultural activities, economic spin-offs are everywhere. If you believe all the claims of those who invoke some kind of “multiplier effect,” the Canadian economy should be 20 to 100 times bigger than it actually is.

But these evaluations rarely hold water. What are called the “economic spin-offs” of a project are usually just the result of a displacement of economic activity and do not represent real wealth creation. Robbing Paul to pay Peter does indeed benefit someone (in this case, Peter), but it creates no net benefit.
"
 
B00Mer
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by pgsView Post

Never seen Artic Air if it is any good a private network will pick it up.
Rick Mercer cheep biased comedy any producer could copy.
Little Mosque on the Prairie,cheep politically correct pap.
The Nature of Things more biased politically correct pap.
CBC News the same as any other network. The political commentary however is biased.
I don't want nor do I think Canada needs any of the above from a national broadcaster.
Unfortunatly I am only one voice,however I am sure there are many who agree with me.

Great a movie critic. so because the fact that you do not like a program it's enough to cut funding. sure.

oh yeah Dragons' Den

I suppose you prefer CTV or FoxNews.. way before Canada had FoxNews, I had it on my DirecTV. Sh!t, you were still probably sucking your mothers t!t when I started with DirecTV. (view from Apartment, English Bay)

I was one of those who thought, OH Canadian TV sucks.. ran down to Bellingham, WA to setup and account and a P.O. Box. in the year 1995.

17 + years of being a loyal customer of DirecTV and I have grown to have a greater appreciation for Canadian TV, Canadian Nationalism and Canadian Unity.. I will be traveling to the NWT this summer on vacation because of CBC ads.. spending $5,000 +



I will tell you what sucks.. THIS!!
Go watch you're FOXNews

[youtube]baGbFtmCPvU[/youtube]

pre FoxNews Canada

[youtube]x-6ZjEQwhrY[/youtube]
Last edited by B00Mer; Mar 12th, 2012 at 09:02 PM..
 
Tonington
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Aside from the fact that there is no multiplier in spending tax dollars

Of course there is. That's the whole purpose behind lots of government funds. My company get's R&D tax credits from the Feds. Some from the province too. All my hours are tax deductible, to the tune of about 35% of my salary. Up to the first $3 million in qualified expenditures. After the $3 million amount is reached, it drops to 20% on everything else.

They're called SR&ED credits. These tax credit subsidies are valuable to the government, because for every $1 the government gives up in taxes, they get back $1.17 roughly in the taxable spin-offs. Companies hire more employees, and buy more equipment, and all of that generates more revenue for the government.

So, let's look at the CBC data we have and do some simple math. $1.7 billion turned into $3.7 billion. Let's use a constant population to make it easy, say 34 million. That means that for the $50 that they collected from each of us, it generated nearly $109 in economic activity. That's a multiplier.

Quote:

We sort of need the RCMP and the military whereas there are plenty of private broadcasters out there that cater to a wide variety of tastes.

We have city cops here. Why do we need the RCMP? There's some out there who would probably even say we don't need them at all. So who get's to pick and choose what they pay for? Some people would disagree with you, and if you take your money back, what's to stop others from taking their money back? I'm pretty sure Gerry says no to death, so funding wars is likely out for him, and lots of others too.

Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan's linkView Post

The first thing to notice about the CBC’s federal subsidy of $1.1 billion is that if this sum had remained in taxpayers’ wallets, they too would have generated “economic spin-offs” by investing and spending their own money. This simple fact, however, is never taken into account by this kind of study.

Because the option isn't to simply return a portion of their taxes....whomever wrote the article should know that... CBC funding is funded from general tax revenue, at the discretion of the government. If the CBC isn't funded, then the government simply spends it on something else. Sure, maybe they give a tax break, but they have to choose that, and they have multipliers for that too. The Deloitte analysis used the average multiplier our government uses when weighing the economic activity created by CBC. They looked at the activity for the money that would normally have funded CBC, if it was distributed to other programs. That was part of their analysis.

As for the tax dollars ending up growing in our hands? George W. Bush tried giving refund checks to stimulate their economy, and it failed. And he gave Americans over $600 per person, $1200 to couples and an extra $300 for each dependent.

CBC is funded significantly less than that. But hey it would buy you a liter of rum if you got it back.
Quote:

Indeed, if subsidizing the CBC produces such significant economic spin-offs, wouldn’t the government have every reason to borrow money to create two or even three public broadcasters? By pushing the argument in this way, it becomes evident that it simply does not hold water.

Jesus, this guy can't have taken introductory economics. Is he an economist Captain Morgan???

He knows about zilch when it comes to the concept of utility. And pushing it that way shows that his argument is pure bunkum.
Last edited by Tonington; Mar 12th, 2012 at 09:00 PM..
 
B00Mer
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

We have city cops here. Why do we need the RCMP? There's some out there who would probably even say we don't need them at all.

Oh oh!! Tonington.. now don't you be picking on the Queens Cowboys.. now.

That's a National Symbol, known around the world.

 
Tonington
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Oh oh!! Tonington.. now don't you be picking on the Queens Cowboys.. now.

That's a National Symbol, known around the world.


Devil's Advocate.
 
JLM
#30
It would be a huge mistake to cut C.B.C. radio- that is where I get most of the reliable news and keep abreast of what CANADIANS are doing and on Saturday evening they play good music.
 
no new posts