Tenn. professor cruises cross-country on 2.15 gallons of gas

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
LONG BEACH, Calif. – Cliff Ricketts has achieved a career goal that should be music to the ears of gas prices-weary motorists everywhere: He drove coast-to-coast on less than 3 gallons of gasoline.

Ricketts, a Middle Tennessee State University professor, and his eight-member support team drove three Toyota hybrid alternative-fuels vehicles approximately 2,582 miles across country, using only about 2.15 gallons of fuel — much less than his 10-gallon goal —purchased at the gas pump, according to an MTSU news release.

A 1994, four-speed Toyota Tercel and an '05 Toyota Prius hybrid were driven on Sunday from Tybee Island, Ga., to MTSU in Murfreesboro, Tenn., then from MTSU to Conway, Ark. In the first 900 miles, zero gas was used, Ricketts said, adding that other fuel sources were solar (the sun), electric, ethanol and hydrogen from water.

From Conway and Fort Smith, Ark., to Long Beach, Ricketts and another driver drove a 2007 Toyota Prius hybrid, using E95 (ethanol-gas blend) and electric (two, 10-kilowatt-hour battery packs).

"I feel like I climbed Mount Everest," said Ricketts. "This has significance in life and it has significance for mankind."

Ricketts and his support team members calculated the five-day trip could be accomplished in 10 gallons or less. Behind the scenes, he and experts Terry Young of Woodbury and Mike Sims of Jackson, Mich., and several students believed it could be achieved using about 2.5 gallons of gas.

"Using 2.15 gallons of gas (to go across the country) is awesome," Ricketts said. "We had three bars left, which meant three gallons. So, officially, we used only 2.15 gallons."

As of March 8, AAA said national average gas prices were $3.76 for regular, $3.90 for mid-grade and $4.04 for premium.

An exuberant Ricketts, who has spent 36 years as an MTSU faculty member and invested 34 years into research of alternative fuels, took off his shoes and socks, waded into the nearby Pacific Ocean and let out a large whoop after achieving his goal.

After traveling across Interstate 40, the team arrived in Long Beach at about 3:15 CST, more than one hour earlier than they expected.

In addition to Young, who shared driving duties with Ricketts, and Sims, the team included MTSU students Travis Owens, Brett Harris, Steve Foe, Dawn Baker and Hayley Box, and Sonya D'Archangel, an Austin Peay State University student.

Ricketts said he also plans a similar coast-to-coast trip in 2013, using sun and water.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
using only about 2.15 gallons of fuel..

you missed the whole point of the article.. :roll:

He missed more than just the point. It took five days to get across the country. The whole trip took five days.
Ricketts, a Middle Tennessee State University professor, and his eight-member support team drove three Toyota hybrid alternative-fuels vehicles approximately 2,582 miles across country, using only about 2.15 gallons of fuel — much less than his 10-gallon goal —purchased at the gas pump, according to an MTSU news release.
Ricketts and his support team members calculated the five-day trip could be accomplished in 10 gallons or less. Behind the scenes, he and experts Terry Young of Woodbury and Mike Sims of Jackson, Mich., and several students believed it could be achieved using about 2.5 gallons of gas.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
adding that other fuel sources were solar (the sun), electric (from coal, nuke,nat gas), ethanol (grown using diesel,petro-chem ferts and pesticides)and hydrogen from water (cracked using coal, nuke,nat gas electricty)

2.15 gal but a **** load of other non-renewables isn't a success story.

I can sail the oceans blue without using a drop of bunker oil....just use a coal boiler.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
The point of the article was quite clear to me "we can get famous by bullchitting you". Ethanol? Well we all know what that has done, burning up food at a huge long term cost.
Solar and electric? Slow going, short range, other than specific single occupant specialized vehicles, hope for sunny days, and wait until you have to replace those expensive batteries that take fossil fuel to manufacture. Better to legislate that city peeps use only bikes and see whose Ox gets gored.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
adding that other fuel sources were solar (the sun), electric (from coal, nuke,nat gas), ethanol (grown using diesel,petro-chem ferts and pesticides)and hydrogen from water (cracked using coal, nuke,nat gas electricty)

2.15 gal but a **** load of other non-renewables isn't a success story.

I can sail the oceans blue without using a drop of bunker oil....just use a coal boiler.
It is so, you stunned bonehead. A vehicle would have cost so much in materials anyway. That it used materials but didn't use nearly the amount of gas another vehicle made of materials is a big improvement. You seem to think that just because something only goes part ways to being sensible it isn';t any good. It has to be either complete or not at all. DUH

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
He still used ****loads of gasoline it just wasn't burned in the engine DUH

Energy spent was far more than 2.15gallons and it sure as **** wasn't clean and "green".

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The point of the article was quite clear to me "we can get famous by bullchitting you". Ethanol? Well we all know what that has done, burning up food at a huge long term cost.
Solar and electric? Slow going, short range, other than specific single occupant specialized vehicles, hope for sunny days, and wait until you have to replace those expensive batteries that take fossil fuel to manufacture. Better to legislate that city peeps use only bikes and see whose Ox gets gored.
Slow moving? roflmao
The average hybrid can go from 0 to 100 km/h in about 10 seconds. HowStuffWorks "Are hybrid cars slower than regular cars?"
Then there are these: The World
Short range? Find another vehicle that goes thousands of km on under 3 gallons and recharges just by going downhill.
Replacing expensive batteries? Ever heard of recycling?
Sunny days? My solar panels produce electricity as long as there is daylight, regardless of whether it's cloudy or not.
DUH

He still used ****loads of gasoline it just wasn't burned in the engine DUH

Energy spent was far more than 2.15gallons and it sure as **** wasn't clean and "green".
Moron. It probably used about the same amount in manufacturing the thing as any other car manufactured. DUH If it used a significant amount more, show the numbers or STFU.

If your taking flak it means the target is nervous. Even more nervous if they are calling you names.
If by flak, you mean pointing out the stupidity of his argument, then it isn't anxiety. It's scorn.

Ignorance is really comical sometimes.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Slow moving? roflmao
The average hybrid can go from 0 to 100 km/h in about 10 seconds. HowStuffWorks "Are hybrid cars slower than regular cars?"
Then there are these: The World
Short range? Find another vehicle that goes thousands of km on under 3 gallons.
Replacing expensive batteries? Ever heard of recycling?
Sunny days? My solar panels produce electricity as long as there is daylight, regardless of whether it's cloudy or not.
DUH

Solar and electric ARE short range given you are not retired and can afford to wait out a cloudy winter day, or resort to fuel.
I have seen the speed tests, meaningless in the context of saving energy. Try transferring that reasoning to an 18 wheeler, a Combine, a Tree farmer, or a D 10 cat, perhaps we could get them to go like hell for a short while.
You can recycle all you want but replacement will hurt your wallet, close to the price of an engine rebuild in many cases.

Your solar panels are merely a help and would not do much for you under cloud without augmentation from another source, same as the electric car. Besides that, they do not have anything to do with the question of the necessary speed and strength of transportation in this world outside of cities.
Nothing wrong with the concept of electric cars, just the bs about them being the total solution. At this time they are mostly specific to urban pursuits and that is fine.
DUH? Calling someone who does not share your opinion stupid, is that an honor bestowed on those who have made the most posts?..... OK.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Newer vehicles only need to be warmed for about 30 seconds on average these days. Long enough to get the fluids circulating.
That's great if you live in Arizona and your catalytic converter is useless until hot which makes for very dirty emissions.

Not so good for the EGR and other emissions systems either.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Well, then it's up to you if you want to blow your employer's money by wasting fuel.

I like a nice warm truck in the morning so my laptop,gps and other electronic goodies all function at par.
Plus it's easier to text and surf while driving if your fingys are nice and warm!

When I work out of town I spend a lot of time in my truck,it's like a second home.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Solar and electric ARE short range given you are not retired and can afford to wait out a cloudy winter day, or resort to fuel.
:rolleyes: That's why some people add fuel burning engines. DUH
I have seen the speed tests, meaningless in the context of saving energy. Try transferring that reasoning to an 18 wheeler, a Combine, a Tree farmer, or a D 10 cat, perhaps we could get them to go like hell for a short while.
Irrelevant. You said they are slow. I showed you to be wrong. Besides, the dude wasn't running a D-10 across the country; he was running his hybrid car. Pretty lame strawman argument you tried there.
You can recycle all you want but replacement will hurt your wallet, close to the price of an engine rebuild in many cases.
lol I've been using recycled batteries for years. $35 per battery.

Your solar panels are merely a help and would not do much for you under cloud without augmentation from another source, same as the electric car.
Depends on what you are using the energy for. My solar panels are enough to run all the lights in our house and then some. As far as augmenting the car, what do you suppose is the reason the dude only used 2+ gallons to cross the country if it wasn't for the electrical energy?
Besides that, they do not have anything to do with the question of the necessary speed and strength of transportation in this world outside of cities.
It was a car, not a freight train. If it hauled the dude and his suitcase and whatever else across the country, obviously it was enough for the job.
Nothing wrong with the concept of electric cars, just the bs about them being the total solution.
No-one ever claimed they were the perfect solution to everything. At least you admit they have a purpsoe. Petros seems to think that unless they can be the perfect solution to everything, they are no good for anything.
At this time they are mostly specific to urban pursuits and that is fine.
Nah. If I had an electric vehicle, I'd think nothing of holidaying down to South Am with it. One guy went 313 miles on one charge in his Tesla Roadster. That's just straight battery draw with no supplemental charging from downhill generating or solar.
DUH? Calling someone who does not share your opinion stupid, is that an honor bestowed on those who have made the most posts?..... OK.
Yep, DUH. And it isn't just my opinion. I can and do back up my opinion with fact and evidence. Which is more than I can say for you and Petros.
Most posts? How does your 90 some odd posts stack up against my 14,000+ posts then? As if that has anything to do with the issue.

That's great if you live in Arizona and your catalytic converter is useless until hot which makes for very dirty emissions.

Not so good for the EGR and other emissions systems either.
Should you warm up your car in winter? - Yahoo! Autos Canada

2 to 3 minutes is long enough to warm up, even in the NWT and Yukon.

I like a nice warm truck in the morning so my laptop,gps and other electronic goodies all function at par.
Plus it's easier to text and surf while driving if your fingys are nice and warm!

When I work out of town I spend a lot of time in my truck,it's like a second home.
Good for you. Most people aren't like you, though.
Like I said, it's up to you.