Tenn. professor cruises cross-country on 2.15 gallons of gas


B00Mer
#1
LONG BEACH, Calif. – Cliff Ricketts has achieved a career goal that should be music to the ears of gas prices-weary motorists everywhere: He drove coast-to-coast on less than 3 gallons of gasoline.



Ricketts, a Middle Tennessee State University professor, and his eight-member support team drove three Toyota hybrid alternative-fuels vehicles approximately 2,582 miles across country, using only about 2.15 gallons of fuel — much less than his 10-gallon goal —purchased at the gas pump, according to an MTSU news release.

A 1994, four-speed Toyota Tercel and an '05 Toyota Prius hybrid were driven on Sunday from Tybee Island, Ga., to MTSU in Murfreesboro, Tenn., then from MTSU to Conway, Ark. In the first 900 miles, zero gas was used, Ricketts said, adding that other fuel sources were solar (the sun), electric, ethanol and hydrogen from water.

From Conway and Fort Smith, Ark., to Long Beach, Ricketts and another driver drove a 2007 Toyota Prius hybrid, using E95 (ethanol-gas blend) and electric (two, 10-kilowatt-hour battery packs).

"I feel like I climbed Mount Everest," said Ricketts. "This has significance in life and it has significance for mankind."

Ricketts and his support team members calculated the five-day trip could be accomplished in 10 gallons or less. Behind the scenes, he and experts Terry Young of Woodbury and Mike Sims of Jackson, Mich., and several students believed it could be achieved using about 2.5 gallons of gas.

"Using 2.15 gallons of gas (to go across the country) is awesome," Ricketts said. "We had three bars left, which meant three gallons. So, officially, we used only 2.15 gallons."

As of March 8, AAA said national average gas prices were $3.76 for regular, $3.90 for mid-grade and $4.04 for premium.

An exuberant Ricketts, who has spent 36 years as an MTSU faculty member and invested 34 years into research of alternative fuels, took off his shoes and socks, waded into the nearby Pacific Ocean and let out a large whoop after achieving his goal.

After traveling across Interstate 40, the team arrived in Long Beach at about 3:15 CST, more than one hour earlier than they expected.

In addition to Young, who shared driving duties with Ricketts, and Sims, the team included MTSU students Travis Owens, Brett Harris, Steve Foe, Dawn Baker and Hayley Box, and Sonya D'Archangel, an Austin Peay State University student.

Ricketts said he also plans a similar coast-to-coast trip in 2013, using sun and water.
 
petros
#2
5 ****ing days to go 900km?
 
B00Mer
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

5 fukking days to go 900km?

using only about 2.15 gallons of fuel..

you missed the whole point of the article..
 
Tonington
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

using only about 2.15 gallons of fuel..

you missed the whole point of the article..

He missed more than just the point. It took five days to get across the country. The whole trip took five days.
Ricketts, a Middle Tennessee State University professor, and his eight-member support team drove three Toyota hybrid alternative-fuels vehicles approximately 2,582 miles across country, using only about 2.15 gallons of fuel — much less than his 10-gallon goal —purchased at the gas pump, according to an MTSU news release.
...
Ricketts and his support team members calculated the five-day trip could be accomplished in 10 gallons or less. Behind the scenes, he and experts Terry Young of Woodbury and Mike Sims of Jackson, Mich., and several students believed it could be achieved using about 2.5 gallons of gas.
 
petros
#5
adding that other fuel sources were solar (the sun), electric (from coal, nuke,nat gas), ethanol (grown using diesel,petro-chem ferts and pesticides)and hydrogen from water (cracked using coal, nuke,nat gas electricty)


2.15 gal but a **** load of other non-renewables isn't a success story.


I can sail the oceans blue without using a drop of bunker oil....just use a coal boiler.
 
skookumchuck
#6
The point of the article was quite clear to me "we can get famous by bullchitting you". Ethanol? Well we all know what that has done, burning up food at a huge long term cost.
Solar and electric? Slow going, short range, other than specific single occupant specialized vehicles, hope for sunny days, and wait until you have to replace those expensive batteries that take fossil fuel to manufacture. Better to legislate that city peeps use only bikes and see whose Ox gets gored.
 
L Gilbert
+1
#7  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

adding that other fuel sources were solar (the sun), electric (from coal, nuke,nat gas), ethanol (grown using diesel,petro-chem ferts and pesticides)and hydrogen from water (cracked using coal, nuke,nat gas electricty)


2.15 gal but a **** load of other non-renewables isn't a success story.


I can sail the oceans blue without using a drop of bunker oil....just use a coal boiler.

It is so, you stunned bonehead. A vehicle would have cost so much in materials anyway. That it used materials but didn't use nearly the amount of gas another vehicle made of materials is a big improvement. You seem to think that just because something only goes part ways to being sensible it isn';t any good. It has to be either complete or not at all. DUH
 
petros
#8
He still used ****loads of gasoline it just wasn't burned in the engine DUH

Energy spent was far more than 2.15gallons and it sure as **** wasn't clean and "green".
 
skookumchuck
#9
If your taking flak it means the target is nervous. Even more nervous if they are calling you names.
 
L Gilbert
+1
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuckView Post

The point of the article was quite clear to me "we can get famous by bullchitting you". Ethanol? Well we all know what that has done, burning up food at a huge long term cost.
Solar and electric? Slow going, short range, other than specific single occupant specialized vehicles, hope for sunny days, and wait until you have to replace those expensive batteries that take fossil fuel to manufacture. Better to legislate that city peeps use only bikes and see whose Ox gets gored.

Slow moving? roflmao
The average hybrid can go from 0 to 100 km/h in about 10 seconds. HowStuffWorks "Are hybrid cars slower than regular cars?" (external - login to view)
Then there are these: The World (external - login to view)
Short range? Find another vehicle that goes thousands of km on under 3 gallons and recharges just by going downhill.
Replacing expensive batteries? Ever heard of recycling?
Sunny days? My solar panels produce electricity as long as there is daylight, regardless of whether it's cloudy or not.
DUH

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

He still used ****loads of gasoline it just wasn't burned in the engine DUH

Energy spent was far more than 2.15gallons and it sure as **** wasn't clean and "green".

Moron. It probably used about the same amount in manufacturing the thing as any other car manufactured. DUH If it used a significant amount more, show the numbers or STFU.

Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuckView Post

If your taking flak it means the target is nervous. Even more nervous if they are calling you names.

If by flak, you mean pointing out the stupidity of his argument, then it isn't anxiety. It's scorn.

Ignorance is really comical sometimes.
 
Kakato
#11
I use that amount of fuel just warming my truck up in the morning.

 
L Gilbert
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by KakatoView Post

I use that amount of fuel just warming my truck up in the morning.

Up to you if you want to blow money wasting it.
 
Kakato
+1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Up to you if you want to blow money wasting it.

Free fuel is part of my contract,thats why I have a 135 gallon slip tank.
 
L Gilbert
#14
Well, then it's up to you if you want to blow your employer's money by wasting fuel.
 
petros
#15
Warming a vehicle is wasting fuel? Really?
 
L Gilbert
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Warming a vehicle is wasting fuel? Really?

Newer vehicles only need to be warmed for about 30 seconds on average these days. Long enough to get the fluids circulating.
 
skookumchuck
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Slow moving? roflmao
The average hybrid can go from 0 to 100 km/h in about 10 seconds. HowStuffWorks "Are hybrid cars slower than regular cars?" (external - login to view)
Then there are these: The World (external - login to view)
Short range? Find another vehicle that goes thousands of km on under 3 gallons.
Replacing expensive batteries? Ever heard of recycling?
Sunny days? My solar panels produce electricity as long as there is daylight, regardless of whether it's cloudy or not.
DUH

Solar and electric ARE short range given you are not retired and can afford to wait out a cloudy winter day, or resort to fuel.
I have seen the speed tests, meaningless in the context of saving energy. Try transferring that reasoning to an 18 wheeler, a Combine, a Tree farmer, or a D 10 cat, perhaps we could get them to go like hell for a short while.
You can recycle all you want but replacement will hurt your wallet, close to the price of an engine rebuild in many cases.

Your solar panels are merely a help and would not do much for you under cloud without augmentation from another source, same as the electric car. Besides that, they do not have anything to do with the question of the necessary speed and strength of transportation in this world outside of cities.
Nothing wrong with the concept of electric cars, just the bs about them being the total solution. At this time they are mostly specific to urban pursuits and that is fine.
DUH? Calling someone who does not share your opinion stupid, is that an honor bestowed on those who have made the most posts?..... OK.
 
petros
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Newer vehicles only need to be warmed for about 30 seconds on average these days. Long enough to get the fluids circulating.

That's great if you live in Arizona and your catalytic converter is useless until hot which makes for very dirty emissions.

Not so good for the EGR and other emissions systems either.
 
Kakato
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Well, then it's up to you if you want to blow your employer's money by wasting fuel.

I like a nice warm truck in the morning so my laptop,gps and other electronic goodies all function at par.
Plus it's easier to text and surf while driving if your fingys are nice and warm!

When I work out of town I spend a lot of time in my truck,it's like a second home.
 
L Gilbert
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuckView Post

Solar and electric ARE short range given you are not retired and can afford to wait out a cloudy winter day, or resort to fuel.

That's why some people add fuel burning engines. DUH
Quote:

I have seen the speed tests, meaningless in the context of saving energy. Try transferring that reasoning to an 18 wheeler, a Combine, a Tree farmer, or a D 10 cat, perhaps we could get them to go like hell for a short while.

Irrelevant. You said they are slow. I showed you to be wrong. Besides, the dude wasn't running a D-10 across the country; he was running his hybrid car. Pretty lame strawman argument you tried there.
Quote:

You can recycle all you want but replacement will hurt your wallet, close to the price of an engine rebuild in many cases.

lol I've been using recycled batteries for years. $35 per battery.

Quote:

Your solar panels are merely a help and would not do much for you under cloud without augmentation from another source, same as the electric car.

Depends on what you are using the energy for. My solar panels are enough to run all the lights in our house and then some. As far as augmenting the car, what do you suppose is the reason the dude only used 2+ gallons to cross the country if it wasn't for the electrical energy?
Quote:

Besides that, they do not have anything to do with the question of the necessary speed and strength of transportation in this world outside of cities.

It was a car, not a freight train. If it hauled the dude and his suitcase and whatever else across the country, obviously it was enough for the job.
Quote:

Nothing wrong with the concept of electric cars, just the bs about them being the total solution.

No-one ever claimed they were the perfect solution to everything. At least you admit they have a purpsoe. Petros seems to think that unless they can be the perfect solution to everything, they are no good for anything.
Quote:

At this time they are mostly specific to urban pursuits and that is fine.

Nah. If I had an electric vehicle, I'd think nothing of holidaying down to South Am with it. One guy went 313 miles on one charge in his Tesla Roadster. That's just straight battery draw with no supplemental charging from downhill generating or solar.
Quote:

DUH? Calling someone who does not share your opinion stupid, is that an honor bestowed on those who have made the most posts?..... OK.

Yep, DUH. And it isn't just my opinion. I can and do back up my opinion with fact and evidence. Which is more than I can say for you and Petros.
Most posts? How does your 90 some odd posts stack up against my 14,000+ posts then? As if that has anything to do with the issue.

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

That's great if you live in Arizona and your catalytic converter is useless until hot which makes for very dirty emissions.

Not so good for the EGR and other emissions systems either.

Should you warm up your car in winter? - Yahoo! Autos Canada (external - login to view)

2 to 3 minutes is long enough to warm up, even in the NWT and Yukon.

Quote: Originally Posted by KakatoView Post

I like a nice warm truck in the morning so my laptop,gps and other electronic goodies all function at par.
Plus it's easier to text and surf while driving if your fingys are nice and warm!

When I work out of town I spend a lot of time in my truck,it's like a second home.

Good for you. Most people aren't like you, though.
Like I said, it's up to you.
 
Kakato
#21
I just know I get paid every friday on the pipeline and the more oil you guys and gals use means more work for me.
So keep consuming folks.

Last year this time I was up north freezing my *** off for half the coin.
 
L Gilbert
#22
Nah. I'll continue improving on a low-maintenance, low-cost life, thanks.
 
Kakato
+1
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Nah. I'll continue improving on a low-maintenance, low-cost life, thanks.

Me too,I will be off the electric grid in 3 years,off the gas grid sooner when I get my used oil burning furnace.
The credit cards are all done,simplify the life,everyone wants your money.

I used to read a lot of mother earth magazines when I was younger and the pioneer life kind of stuck with me.
I like being self sufficient,I can do a good enough solar project that I should make enough money to make up for the days with no sun by selling it back to whatever Alberta company is my carrier at the time.
Then I will sit back on my deck,watch the sun set in B.C. and crack a "tinny" and smile.
 
skookumchuck
#24
[QUOTE=L Gilbert;1559324] That's why some people add fuel burning engines. DUH
Irrelevant. You said they are slow. I showed you to be wrong. Besides, the dude wasn't running a D-10 across the country; he was running his hybrid car. Pretty lame strawman argument you tried there.
lol I've been using recycled batteries for years. $35 per battery.

By slow i referred to the inability to fuel up quick and go.
They are all going to Lithium, lots of recycled Lithium batteries around that fit right in an electric car huh? Lithium costs 5 times more recycle than to mine. Recycling "wet" batteries is way cheaper but electric cars will not use them.
As i said, they are too young and way too specific to fit the needs of the majority which includes people who could not afford them.

Depends on what you are using the energy for. My solar panels are enough to run all the lights in our house and then some. As far as augmenting the car, what do you suppose is the reason the dude only used 2+ gallons to cross the country if it wasn't for the electrical energy? It was a car, not a freight train. If it hauled the dude and his suitcase and whatever else across the country, obviously it was enough for the job.

"Depends on what you are using the energy for" cars, solar home power is a different argument entirely. We are talking transportation. I stand by my assumption that they are far too limited at this point and over hyped by peeps who want to prove how green they are.
btw, do you agree with burning food grown with fossil fuel energy to save energy?
Saying that he made it cross country is also a straw man argument.

Average speed?

No-one ever claimed they were the perfect solution to everything. At least you admit they have a purpsoe. Petros seems to think that unless they can be the perfect solution to everything, they are no good for anything. Nah. If I had an electric vehicle, I'd think nothing of holidaying down to South Am with it. One guy went 313 miles on one charge in his Tesla Roadster. That's just straight battery draw with no supplemental charging from downhill generating or solar.

How long did he have to wait to recharge? 12 hrs? Lots of parts and service stations for electrics in South Am?

Yep, DUH. And it isn't just my opinion. I can and do back up my opinion with fact and evidence. Which is more than I can say for you and Petros.
Most posts? How does your 90 some odd posts stack up against my 14,000+ posts then? As if that has anything to do with the issue.

Thought so, you decided somewhere along the line that volume trumps all, ever been wrong? Or even misguided? Your "facts and evidence" come not from you but copy paste. You believe it, that's fine.
No issues here with your take but.........
Gad! The audacity of a newcomer arguing with you, nice new clothes there yer highness.
 
L Gilbert
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by KakatoView Post

Me too,I will be off the electric grid in 3 years,off the gas grid sooner when I get my used oil burning furnace.
The credit cards are all done,simplify the life,everyone wants your money.

I used to read a lot of mother earth magazines when I was younger and the pioneer life kind of stuck with me.
I like being self sufficient,I can do a good enough solar project that I should make enough money to make up for the days with no sun by selling it back to whatever Alberta company is my carrier at the time.
Then I will sit back on my deck,watch the sun set in B.C. and crack a "tinny" and smile.

Sounds cool.

Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuckView Post

By slow i referred to the inability to fuel up quick and go.

Ah. Well, you didn't specify and the usual myth people leap to is the slowness of the vehicles. I's evident that a hybrid doesn't need to be fueled up nearly as often as a regular vehicle.
Quote:

They are all going to Lithium, lots of recycled Lithium batteries around that fit right in an electric car huh? Lithium costs 5 times more recycle than to mine. Recycling "wet" batteries is way cheaper but electric cars will not use them.

That'll pass as battery research gets better. besides, the battery packs are designed to last a couple hundred thousand miles and are warranteed for 10 years in most cases.
Quote:

As i said, they are too young and way too specific to fit the needs of the majority which includes people who could not afford them.

GMC Sierra hybrid costs $40,000 US. Chevy Silverado hybrid is $30,000. A Lincoln MKZ is $38,000. A BMW 335d hybrid diesel is $45,000. If you are poor; a Smart 42 is $13,000 and a Toyota Laris is also $13,000.

Quote:

"Depends on what you are using the energy for" cars, solar home power is a different argument entirely. We are talking transportation. I stand by my assumption that they are far too limited at this point and over hyped by peeps who want to prove how green they are.

And as I said, they charge while going downhill, can recharge on the go using solar power, also every time the engine runs on gas, they are charging as well.
Quote:

btw, do you agree with burning food grown with fossil fuel energy to save energy?

Nope. Food should be used as food except when it's rotten.
Quote:

Saying that he made it cross country is also a straw man argument.

Nope. You brought up D-10s combines, etc. which is irrelevant to the topic of hybrid cars. My point was that the car served the purpose for what the guy intended to use it for. It was directly on topic. The strawman fallacy is when a person simply ignores another's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated, or misrepresented version of that position. Similar to the red herring argument.
Quote:

How long did he have to wait to recharge? 12 hrs?

Under 3 hours. But that's just a straight electric car.
Quote:

Lots of parts and service stations for electrics in South Am?

I am sure they have electrical power in South America. Why would I need parts if nothing breaks down? Can you get parts for your Dodge Viper or Porsche Turbo Carrera easily there?

Quote:

Thought so, you decided somewhere along the line that volume trumps all,

I'm not the one that brought up the issue of number of posts, idiot. You did.
Quote:

ever been wrong?

Yep.
Quote:

Or even misguided?

Not that I'm aware of.
Quote:

Your "facts

Quote:

and evidence" come not from you but copy paste.

Sorry, but I base my opinions on facts and evidence and they aren't cut n pastes, idiot. They were links.
Quote:

You believe it, that's fine.

If you can provide evidence where my supported opinion is wrong, then provide it. Like I said, so far I've seen little or nothing from you or Petros to back yourselves up.
Quote:

No issues here with your take but.........
Gad! The audacity of a newcomer arguing with you, nice new clothes there yer highness.

lmao Like I said, you are the one that brought up the issue of post quantity, not me.
I welcome argument. If people can point out my errors, I like it. I learn that way. Besides, argument, debate, discussion is fun for me. If you can't handle it, that's tough.

And, btw, learning how to use quotes when separating comments from another person is easy. It doesn't hurt to ask how to do it. You just need to put [ quote]at the front of the part you reply to and [/ quote] at the end of it.
 
skookumchuck
#26
Thanks, i have no problem handling it. I do maintain that in my experience peeps who start to call others names in a discussion have issues that i prefer not to deal with.
 
L Gilbert
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuckView Post

Thanks, i have no problem handling it. I do maintain that in my experience peeps who start to call others names in a discussion have issues that i prefer not to deal with.

Suit yourself. Ignore my posts if you wish then.
But choosing to remain ignorant is deserving of terms like "stupidity" and "idiotic" and "foolish", IMO.
 

Similar Threads

0
17
Nunavut Next on Jean's Cross-country Tour
by FiveParadox | Apr 13th, 2006
no new posts