U.S. soldier kills up to 16 Afghan civilians

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'd think either good aim or doesn't have to buy his own ammo.
Good point.

Looks like it's 15 confirmed:

BBC News - US soldier kills Afghan civilians in Kandahar

Looks like Afghans want him tried in Afghanistan but apparently US policy does not allow US troops to be tried abroad. That could become a point of conflict, but out of respect for sovereignty, the crime did occur in Afghan jurisdiction, no?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is a weird one. I just finished reading the article from the O.P....&
there is no mention of a wedding taking place, or having just taken
place, or even about to have taken place.

The article mixes the singular & the plural often also. Was it one lone
gunman, or a group of them? It reads like a pack or drunken soldiers
invading this town.....but only one of them actually shoots these people?
Am I misreading this one? Only one soldier has been arrested?

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
thier is no mention of a wedding taking place, or having just taken

Not to worry Ron, you are not the only one confused by the way this article reads.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
there is no mention of a wedding taking place, or having just taken

What I got is that it's one soldier only it would appear, though he was a staff serjeant I believe, so still relatively high up in the non-commissioned ranks.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The Firefighter in that region must be way better than the local foundation savers. Since they managed to put the chemical fires out, before they could so consumed the bodies, that bullet wounds were easily recognizable.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
And your point is? What the hell do you expect? To write it off as the price of democracy? What are we doing there again? (the official version, not the real one).

Yawn... Don't be a tool Cliffy..

It's just a cycle that most have gotten tired off. No we don't belong over there.. They are not a threat to their neighbors, and it's a warped society that will never change.

I'd say leave them to their caves and camels.

They are not building a Nuke, or threatening to wipe out a country.. I think those troops could be better placed somewhere else in the world. ;-)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Anyone can hit an adult. It takes special skill to shoot someone as small as a child. Takes a lot of practice.
And takes a tiny brain to joke about the murder of children. In the U.S. the killing of 15 people would be considered a "serial killing" and the killer would likely be executed. I wonder if this mass killing in Afghanistan is even punishable in the states.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
And takes a tiny brain to joke about the murder of children. In the U.S. the killing of 15 people would be considered a "serial killing" and the killer would likely be executed. I wonder if this mass killing in Afghanistan is even punishable in the states.

I'm not a lawyer but I'm thinking probably yes. Although mental competence will likely come into play. Also, not a military lawyer, but I'm thinking on paper at least, he could likely be in front of a firing squad quite summarily if the brass decided to go that route.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If the facts dictate, it should be tried in an Afghan court.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I disagree. We (western nations) routinely give refugees amnesty on the grounds that they fear not getting a fair trial in their home countries. Why would we throw our own to the wolves?
Saves the expense of a trial at home - IF, in fact, the guy did go apeshyte and randomly fire on innocent civilians. A trial at home just maintains an illusion of out-of-sight-out-of-mind among they who already hate you