Mayor accused of Vietnam War service lies

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
STAFFORD — Mayor John Spodofora is being investigated by his own Republican Party over whether he might have embellished his military record, after he listed a bogus medal for service in the Vietnam War on his campaign website.The “Medal of Valor,” which is not a U.S. military decoration, was awarded to Spodofora by a hunting club in Tucson, Ariz.

But the distinction that the medal was issued by a private organization and not the federal government is not made on his campaign website, which asks the question: “Who is John Spodofora?”

“Mr. Spodofora is a Vietnam Veteran, U.S. Navy with 7 years active duty ... and a Vietnam War Medal of Valor recipient,” the website reads.

There is no question Spodofora, 66, served in the Navy for seven years from 1966 to 1973, at the time of the Vietnam War.

A public record of his military service obtained from the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, indicates Spodofora was assigned to submarine duty and was in the Caribbean and Mediterranean seas, but there is no documented evidence he ever served in Vietnam.

Spodofora contends there is a good reason for that: He was a spy, a self-described “spook,” he said.

“There are two issues here,” Spodofora said. “One, I was in Naval intelligence. Two, I have Vietnam veteran status from the (Department of Defense) ... I never said I was stationed in Vietnam.”

http://www.app.com/article/20120309/NJNEWS/303090110/Mayor-accused-Vietnam-War-service-lies?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

A little 'info' about our Ramboesque manly-man:

Who is John Spodofora ? | Vote for Spodofora & Mancini

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well, any military vets that served anywhere in the world during the Vietnam War are considered Vietnam Vets. Even the ones that never went to Vietnam. Just like WWII vets. If you served in the military during WWII and you never left the country you're still a WWII vet.

But sailors... they do like to tell sea stories. Pretty much every sailor was a SEAL and has a story of how they beat up a Marine. Oh, and Navy Basic Training in Orlando FL is just as hard as it is MCRD Parris Island SC.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I survived being attacked by police on several occasions at Vietnam war protests. Can I say I'm a Vietnam war vet too? Is killing innocent women and children in foreign countries the only accepted way to serve your country?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I survived being attacked by police on several occasions at Vietnam war protests. Can I say I'm a Vietnam war vet too? Is killing innocent women and children in foreign countries the only accepted way to serve your country?

The ignorant generalized accusations aside. The Draft.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Cliffy was a Hippie, who would have guessed.. :roll:

The Vietnam war was a cluster ****, however I would not blame the soldiers who fought. The mighty war machine of the United States, there is only one sure way to fix the economy, and that's a good war.. do you hear that Iran??

...and personally the sooner we start sending troops to Iran the better.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Cliffy was a Hippie, who would have guessed.. :roll:

The Vietnam war was a cluster ****, however I would not blame the soldiers who fought. The mighty war machine of the United States, there is only one sure way to fix the economy, and that's a good war.. do you hear that Iran??

...and personally the sooner we start sending troops to Iran the better.
Correction: Cliffy is still a hippie. I realize that most soldiers in Vietnam were not volunteers. Since then, they have been. In every war there is collateral damage (rape, maiming and murder of innocents). I do not understand why anybody volunteers when this is a given of war.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Since then, they have been. In every war there is collateral damage (rape, maiming and murder of innocents). I do not understand why anybody volunteers when this is a given of war.
Because it isn't a given, nor is it the intent of the vast majority, of those that volunteer.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Because it isn't a given, nor is it the intent of the vast majority, of those that volunteer.
Collateral damage has been a given in every war ever fought in the history of war. I know that not every soldier engages in these activities, but it is none the less part of every war. I fail to see how going to foreign countries to fight has anything to do with serving one's country. Every war has been about filling the coffers of the ruling elite and has nothing to do with the betterment of the lives of that country's citizens. War is and always has been about profit.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Collateral damage has been a given in every war ever fought in the history of war. I know that not every soldier engages in these activities, but it is none the less part of every war.
Sorry, it appeared that you were framing it as such, since rape doesn't happen when a bomb goes off course.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Collateral damage has been a given in every war ever fought in the history of war. I know that not every soldier engages in these activities, but it is none the less part of every war. I fail to see how going to foreign countries to fight has anything to do with serving one's country. Every war has been about filling the coffers of the ruling elite and has nothing to do with the betterment of the lives of that country's citizens. War is and always has been about profit.

Some wars are necessary.

Kosovo was a good war, we actually defended the Muslims from being saughtered..

Going into Iran would be a fair war, stopping someone worse than Hitler from getting a Nuke.

Generally, I don't like war... but the war machine of the USA, Boeing, Hughes, Halliburton are all war profiteer companies.. and many others, donate billions in political contributions.. and have powerful lobbyist.

This is a government of the people, by the people and for the people no longer. It is a government of corporations, by corporations, and for corporations.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Were you a military vet? I'd think not...so no.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A lot of men and women served during (in in country) the Vietnam War.

Problem I have with this pussy is his employee-of-the-month, cereal box (presented at the big gun club bowling banquet or something) 'medal' being passed-off as the Medal of Honor (at first glance) to the unwashed masses.

Last edited: