Christians have no right to wear cross at work, says Government

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
In a highly significant move, ministers will fight a case at the European Court of Human Rights in which two British women will seek to establish their right to display the cross.

It is the first time that the Government has been forced to state whether it backs the right of Christians to wear the symbol at work.

A document seen by The Sunday Telegraph discloses that ministers will argue that because it is not a “requirement” of the Christian faith, employers can ban the wearing of the cross and sack workers who insist on doing so.

The Government’s position received an angry response last night from prominent figures including Lord Carey, the former Archbishop of Canterbury.

He accused ministers and the courts of “dictating” to Christians and said it was another example of Christianity becoming sidelined in official life.

more insanity, government meddling and social engineering experiments:

Christians have no right to wear cross at work, says Government - Telegraph

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
In a highly significant move, ministers will fight a case at the European Court of Human Rights in which two British women will seek to establish their right to display the cross.

It is the first time that the Government has been forced to state whether it backs the right of Christians to wear the symbol at work.

A document seen by The Sunday Telegraph discloses that ministers will argue that because it is not a “requirement” of the Christian faith, employers can ban the wearing of the cross and sack workers who insist on doing so.

The Government’s position received an angry response last night from prominent figures including Lord Carey, the former Archbishop of Canterbury.

He accused ministers and the courts of “dictating” to Christians and said it was another example of Christianity becoming sidelined in official life.

more insanity, government meddling and social engineering experiments:

Christians have no right to wear cross at work, says Government - Telegraph

I can understand the point that they are not required as per Christian laws to wear the cross, and thus not falling under human rights violations per se. But just as a matter of courtesy, why could the company not just let them wear it?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Bear. Are you saying I should take off my ring before using a grinder in the office?
LOL... Not that a nurse is exactly an office worker. Or doesn't come into proximity of things that can catch on a loose necklace, rings or earrings...

But yes, obviously, because the office is going to be the only place impacted by this. :roll:

For someone who talks about seeing the big picture, you sometimes narrow your scope, just a wee bit.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Maybe for the same reason most tradesmen are not allowed to wear rings, earrings or necklaces at work.

Perhaps. If it's a safety issue, then it would be more than appropriate to prohibit the wearing of the cross, or at least wear it in a safer manner such as as a lapel pin or something of the sort.

Just to clarify, seeing that it's not a requirement of the faith to wear the cross, it would seem inappropriate to thus make it a legal right to wear it. However, as a simple matter of courtecy, it would only be reasonable on the part of a considerate employer to accommodate it within reason, or in some safer modified form such as a lapel pin, if it really means that much to an employee.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Perhaps. If it's a safety issue, then it would be more than appropriate to prohibit the wearing of the cross, or at least wear it in a safer manner such as as a lapel pin or something of the sort.

Just to clarify, seeing that it's not a requirement of the faith to wear the cross, it would seem inappropriate to thus make it a legal right to wear it. However, as a simple matter of courtecy, it would only be reasonable on the part of a considerate employer to accommodate it within reason, or in some safer modified form such as a lapel pin, if it really means that much to an employee.
I find it odd that the UK protects the Burka, a non religious affectation, but is willing to go so far as to leave the crucifix out in the cold.

Hence my first post, Interesting.

No wonder the UK spawns people like Pat Condell, and the EDL.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I find it odd that the UK protects the Burka, a non religious affectation, but is willing to go so far as to leave the crucifix out in the cold.

Hence my first post, Interesting.

No wonder the UK spawns people like Pat Condell, and the EDL.

I seem to remember reading about a British teacheer fired for wearing the Burka in school. Can you confirm this? Unless I'm mistaken, the veil is protected but not the burqa.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
A cross is an icon, it isn't a requirement for belief, in fact if you need one as a reminder, ....... a cross or a picture on a wall isn't going to do it. Certainly sets up the Christian dodad manufacturers will now come out with a locket that has a cross inside it. $49.95 more than just the cross alone. The Church will be thanking your for all the donations, courtesy of your local friendly neighborhood busy-bodies.lol
The Church should one up the law, ban crosses in Church, speaking of which when do they come off the public side of the Church, that is certainly public view. Priests should have to wear one that can be spotted a full block away.

The Queen's crown has a big old cross on it, when is it to be worn in public again or is it off to the vaults for that relic, the crown not the queen.

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
BBC NEWS | UK | The woman at centre of veil case

Among the arguments, including the fact that the teacher's assistant in question seems disingenuous about not wearing the Burqa for the job interview, is that Islam does not require the Burqa whereas it's at least debatable that Muslim are required to wear the veil.
I think that was the crux of the case. After further reading, it seems she isn't done yet. And plans to take the case as far as she can.

No, but they can fire your ass.
Most of mine are traditional. I'd actually like to test that case, lol.