Christians have no right to wear cross at work, says Government

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

How about flooding the plane with sleeping gas even before it takes off and leave them all out for the duration of the flight?

Not if they aren't aware of what will happen if they board the plane.

Ron in Regina
+2

How about flooding the plane with sleeping gas even before it takes off and leave them all out for the duration of the flight?

I can see this being an improvement (I'm thinking of SkyService) on the
experience on some of the discount vacation flights. I'm saying that if
I'm only allowed about 19" width of space for a 5-6hr flight....being
unconscious could very well be an improvement. I wonder how
much extra they'd charge for that?

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

But all the distillers would complain. Where else are they going to sell all those little tiny bottles of booze if not the airlines?

Ron in Regina
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

But all the distillers would complain. Where else are they going to sell all those little tiny bottles of booze if not the airlines?

Maybe....just maybe....they could be feed to the unconscious passengers
via I.V. so they not only sleep through the flight....& wake up drunk to deal
with Customs & Taxi Drivers & such. This just keeps getting better and
better!!! Where do I sign up?

SLM
+3

Maybe....just maybe....they could be feed to the unconscious passengers
via I.V. so they not only sleep through the flight....& wake up drunk to deal
with Customs & Taxi Drivers & such. This just keeps getting better and
better!!! Where do I sign up?

Good thinking! I'm a nervous flier anyway, seems win/win to me.

L Gilbert

I'm thinking that my body would object to being unconscious and in one position for a few hours.

BruSan
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

Actually, the British government allows Sikhs to wear turbans and daggers as well, because it is actually a requirement of their religion. Christians are not required by their religion to wear a cross, ergo it is a personal choice motivated by a desire to express their religion and can be countered by dress code.

It is not a requirement of their religion. It is a tradition, their religion requires they not cut their hair and they had to find a way to keep it from hanging into their eyes and dye vats back when India was the premiere fabric colouring place on earth and that was their primary place of employment. They happened upon the long narrow lengths of fabric cut off the ends of bolts of cloth, to make them even, being very useful to wind around their heads to contain their hair, hence the tradition of the turban. NO hair containment or a modern hair net would fit the requirements of their religion just as well.

If you will take note, they don't all grow beards in observance of those same religious tenets but those that do, don't wear a turban on their chin but do wear a hairnet of a type to contain their beards when required by food and drug related laws or simple personal hygiene and appearance preferences.

So too, the kirpans evolved long AFTER Sikhism was formed as a manifestation of their religious tenets as warriors and protectors, guardsmen, to display their status as defender's of the faith.

We were scammed and our governments simply needed to perform some due diligence and consult factual evidence before "knee-jerking" to them and allowing the turban in the mounties and other areas or organizations normally having their own headgear or none at all.

Exempting them from the motorcycle helmet laws for instance was a rediculous accommodation as a helmet contains their "unshorn" hair just as a Turban would. A classic example of our willingness to accommodate being taken advantage of to supbourn our traditions and rights.

I learned this stuff many years ago from honest sikhs who would scoff at their brethrentoday claiming the turban was a religious requirment as many sikhs of old had neither the turbans or the cloth to make one but were still devote and welcomed in the religion.

gerryh
There's more than one Sikh sect.... but go ahead and carry on in your ignorance.

MHz

How much for an iv drip of Margaritas?

Ron in Regina

How much for an iv drip of Margaritas?

I was think'n Mojito's!!! Lime & Minty too!!!

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Good thinking! I'm a nervous flier anyway, seems win/win to me.

Airports have shuttle buses, just ferry everybody to the prepaid lounge with snooze service as part of the original ticket price.

You could always use a quart of Whiskey as the enema solution, and wear your belt extra low for the duration.

gopher
+1
Quote:

ministers will argue that because it is not a “requirement” of the Christian faith, employers can ban the wearing of the cross and sack workers who insist on doing so.

Matt 10:38; 16:24

"he who doth not take up his cross is not worthy of me ... Jesus said to his disciples, take up thy cross and follow me''

The operative word used that means cross or crucifixion is stauros # G4716 from Strong's Concordance. Evidently, Jesus's apostles used these icons when he preached to them and it is for this reason that churches used to require carrying them years ago. In all honesty, I was not aware that this had been changed by any church. Thus, all these petitioners need do is to show these passages from the Bible and they will win their case.

Vanni Fucci
More cross words over a silly symbol (external - login to view)

Colpy
Quote: Originally Posted by Vanni FucciView Post

More cross words over a silly symbol (external - login to view)

Dr. Rowan Williams is a moron.

Simple as that.

karrie
I have one cross. And I wear it only on rare occasion when I really want something special. It's a gorgeous silver piece (roughly 2.5" by 2") with engraved scroll work all over it. It has a jade centre stone, and three tiny jades adorn the end of each arm. I love it. I don't wear it as a sign of my faith, my faith needs no flash to announce itself, I wear it because it was given to my mom by her aunt, and is a symbol of familial connection despite the generational, geographical, and sometimes even cultural, distances between matante Sister Marie Claire and I.

You could make me leave the cross at home, I"d raise no fuss, because it wouldn't change the way I present myself, the way I talk to people, or what I believe, so what exactly is the point?

Niflmir
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

So religion over rides safety? Now that is PC gone mad. But hey what do I know as a lowly first aid attendant and safety committee member both at work and our volunteer fire department.

Turbans/daggers are a fire hazard? Joking aside, they have special turban helmets/hard hats. It is quite hilarious to see actually.

Obviously the solution is to allow them to ride for free if they will agree to protect the aircraft from being hi-jacked.

The daggers are dull. A Bic pen is a better weapon.

karrie

Turbans/daggers are a fire hazard? Joking aside, they have special turban helmets/hard hats. It is quite hilarious to see actually.

Not as laughable as the cowboy hardhats the Texans seem so fond of.

Niflmir
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

Not as laughable as the cowboy hardhats the Texans seem so fond of.

Really? I have to see this.

Jeez, those are ridiculous.

wulfie68

Really? I have to see this.

Jeez, those are ridiculous.

You see them in southern Alberta too. It was tough being a consultant and not laughing at some of the employees of the companies I was working for when they walk over with a plastic stetson perched on their head...
Last edited by wulfie68; Mar 15th, 2012 at 02:40 PM..

Niflmir
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by wulfie68View Post

You see them in southern Alberta too. It was tough being a consultant and not laughing at some of the employees of the company I was working for when they walk over with a plastic stetson perched on their head...

So it's not just freedom of religion, it's freedom to be a complete fool. But safety first!

damngrumpy
First of all I think there are a lot more important things government should be concerned about.
As a society however there are some decisions that have to be made seeing as the world has
made life more complicated.
If we abandoned the rights in a constitution the very laws that protect us could be used against
us.
If we make a decision that is applicable to one group it must become the standard for all groups.
Therefore is should be that society must come to an agreement on why they made the original
decisions in the first place, and what the significance is. After that we can start to talk about who
has the freedom to do what.
For example the Burqa is a traditional and societal encumbrance, that is not always seen as one
in the Muslim World, it pushes the button of people in the west though as we have an open society,
but not open enough to allow some to wear the Burqa.
On the other hand the cross is a symbol of faith, it is not a mandatory part of the religion or all
devout followers would wear one. as is the case with some sectors of the Sikh faith the men wear
a bracelet.
Now the decision has to be made, do we as westerners accept the wearing of the Burqa in our midst
as a trade off to Christians wearing the cross as is their societal custom?
Remember we opened the door to other cultures and where does society draw the line in accommodating
everyone.
My personal view is we must first of all respect the constitution protects individual rights and freedoms.
From there we have to ensure that all citizens understand that concept. Then the next step would be to
ensure that all citizens knew the difference between religious protocols and customs. It should be an
individual choice to wear the cross or even a burqa, but no one should be allowed to impose the custom
on the individual in our western society. If there is pressure being put on people they should have the
government support at the local level to protect their rights. And there should be penalties for such
offences. Honour Killings, the wearing of certain clothing or objects, and so on regardless of what group
you were born into.
Yes at first there would be upheaval and anger, and a cost but the price of freedom and maintaining it is
required here. The Ole South in America learned that lesson fifty years ago with integration and the
fundamental principles of how it worked. We have to go through the exercise because we didn't deal with
it at the beginning and life and justice has no short cuts.