The Devils Brigade -

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Lawmakers push Gold Medal for WWII 'Devil's Brigade' - U.S. - Stripes

Devil's Brigade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

History

Properly designated as the 1st Special Service Force, the Devil's Brigade was a joint World War II American-Canadian commando unit trained at Fort Harrison near Helena, Montana in the United States. Many modern American and Canadian Special Forces units trace their heritage to this unit. For the movie of the same name, see The Devil's Brigade.

Some years ago, Hollywood made a movie, "The Devil’s Brigade," about a U.S.-Canadian commando force during World War II. Now an effort is underway in Congress to award the Congressional Gold Medal to that elite strike force.

Legislation to award the nation's highest civilian honor to the First Special Service Force has been introduced in the House and Senate by a bipartisan group of lawmakers.

The Canadian Embassy in Washington plans to call attention to the effort next week by screening the documentary "Daring to Die: The Story of the Black Devils" with at least five members of the dwindling force in attendance, along with government and military officials from both countries.

The force participated in invasions in the Aleutian Islands, at Anzio Beach in Italy, and in southern France. They led the Allied liberation of Rome and wiped out Axis positions on scores of French and Italian mountains.

They specialized in high alpine combat, covert amphibious landings, airborne operations and other unconventional operations, with more reinforcements being added after the force suffered significant casualties in battle. Ultimately, the force suffered 2,314 casualties; however, it also captured over 30,000 prisoners.

Congressional Gold Medal recipients include the Tuskegee Airmen; the Navajo Code Talkers; the Women Airforce Service Pilots, or WASPs; and Japanese American members of the 100th Infantry Battalion, the 442nd Regimental Combat Team and the Military Intelligence Service. Civilian recipients include Rosa Parks and Walt Disney.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
"Devil's Brigade" was an excellent movie. However, I thought it was fiction! Had no idea it was a genuine group.

Excellent cast which was highlighted by the great work of Claude Akins who portrayed many villains in his time:

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
i knew the unit existed (one of my teenage friends' grandfathers supposedly served in it) but like all movies "based on true stories" you wonder at how much happened and how much was Hollywood BS (I usually bet on lotsa BS). Great movie though!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
One of my favorite parts was when they were in a bar and these lumberjacks were starting trouble with the Canadian members of the brigade who were under strict orders not to fight and not to disgrace the uniform. The American tried to explain that the Canadians were forbidden to fight in uniform... so a fight broke out between the Americans and the locals.

The Canadian took off his uniform coat and put on the American coat...

"Alrght Canadians lets not disgrace the uniform... join the Yanks!"

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
i knew the unit existed (one of my teenage friends' grandfathers supposedly served in it) but like all movies "based on true stories" you wonder at how much happened and how much was Hollywood BS (I usually bet on lotsa BS). Great movie though!

Read some of the links I provided. These soldiers were exceptional in what they achieved.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
However, I thought it was fiction!

The better part of the movie was.

Specifically, and this really baffles me, the US Troops were not misfits. They had to meet a list of specific requirements. As did the Canadians. Most being the top in their respective MOS.

Although my Grandfather never served with the 1st SSF, it's rumoured the "Never Retreat, Never Surrender" banner, was added to his clan tats, in specific memory of their Warrior status, legend, and specifically Tommy Prince's.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Yeah,yeah,great movie. But what about the fact that it {a}took this long for this recognition,{b}it was the Americans that did the recognizing.
Just like the merchant seamen and the vets of the Korean "conflict" Canada seems to have a problem recognizing the feats of it's citizens.
Christ,the yanks had to step in to save our polar bears.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Yeah,yeah,great movie. But what about the fact that it {a}took this long for this recognition,{b}it was the Americans that did the recognizing.

It did take a long time, but this most recent recognition is still more than 10 years behind what Montana and Alberta did to recognize the Devil's Brigade

"In September of 1999, the main highway between the city of Lethbridge, Alberta Canada and Helena, Montana in the United States was renamed the "First Special Service Force Memorial Highway." This highway was chosen because it was the route taken in 1942 by the Canadian volunteers to join their American counterparts for training at Fort Harrison."

The Devil