Atheist group's slavery billboard in Harrisburg offends African-Americans


Locutus
#1



A billboard in Harrisburg portraying a black man with a metal collar around his neck has offended some black Pennsylvanians.

The billboard saying "Slaves, obey your masters," a quote from the Bible, was paid for by the americanatheists.org (external - login to view). The sign is at 13th and Paxton streets in the Allison Hill neighborhood, the city's most racially diverse section.

The message is intended for the state lawmakers who recently passed a bill announcing 2012 as the Year of the Bible (external - login to view), the organization said.


more

Atheist group's slavery billboard in Harrisburg offends African-Americans | PennLive.com (external - login to view)
 
lone wolf
+2
#2
Give it a week.... The style will catch on
 
Serryah
+2
#3
It was to highlight the very much "Wrongs" of the Bible in contrast to it being this so called "Year of the Bible". One day later, it was vandalized with the bottom part - not the top! - ripped off. Very neatly ripped off, too. If racism was anywhere, it was in the person who left the part about slavery on, not the people who put the billboard up to begin with, IMO.
 
Goober
+2
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by SerryahView Post

It was to highlight the very much "Wrongs" of the Bible in contrast to it being this so called "Year of the Bible". One day later, it was vandalized with the bottom part - not the top! - ripped off. Very neatly ripped off, too. If racism was anywhere, it was in the person who left the part about slavery on, not the people who put the billboard up to begin with, IMO.

Well we have enough asshoxe Christians giving us other type Christians a bad name - Now the Atheists are right up there with the same ignorance as those Evangelical Nut Bars they complain about.

But at least the Atheists have 1 excuse. Can't say "The Devil made me do it".
 
eh1eh
#5
Ya, right. Tomorrow they'll be back to being the descendents of slaves if it suits the purpose of the day.
I would think they would revel in the publicity of how they're ancestors were slaves. I guess this form of outrage suited this particular special interest group better for today. Tomorrow another insult will be outraged against I'm sure.
 
Serryah
+1
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Well we have enough asshoxe Christians giving us other type Christians a bad name - Now the Atheists are right up there with the same ignorance as those Evangelical Nut Bars they complain about.

But at least the Atheists have 1 excuse. Can't say "The Devil made me do it".

A quote straight from the bible is ignorant? Giving Christians a bad name? Seems to me, then, the issue should be taken up with that "Holy Book", not the people who posted the quote.
 
gerryh
+3
#7  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by SerryahView Post

A quote straight from the bible is ignorant? Giving Christians a bad name? Seems to me, then, the issue should be taken up with that "Holy Book", not the people who posted the quote.


When it's taken out of context, you bet it's ignorant.
 
Goober
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

When it's taken out of context, you bet it's ignorant.

I agree.
 
L Gilbert
#9
I think if it were me, I would have left the picture out of it. Most cultures had slaves at one time or other.
 
Dexter Sinister
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

When it's taken out of context, you bet it's ignorant.

And depending on which version of the Bible you like, it's wrong. The KJV has it as "Servants, obey in all things your masters..." and four verses later we find "Masters, give unto your servants that which is just and equal." The Jerusalem Bible uses the word slaves instead of servants. And those are the only two Bibles I can reach without getting out of my chair. Seems a bit odd the usage wouldn't be consistent, there are enough mentions of slaves and slavery in the Bible that I'd expect the word translated as servants for the KJV must have been different from the one translated as slaves elsewhere.
 
Goober
+1
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

And depending on which version of the Bible you like, it's wrong. The KJV has it as "Servants, obey in all things your masters..." and four verses later we find "Masters, give unto your servants that which is just and equal." The Jerusalem Bible uses the word slaves instead of servants. And those are the only two Bibles I can reach without getting out of my chair. Seems a bit odd the usage wouldn't be consistent, there are enough mentions of slaves and slavery in the Bible that I'd expect the word translated as servants for the KJV must have been different from the one translated as slaves elsewhere.

God help us all - another damm discussion on the Bible - The Advertisement was rude & vulgar to say the least.
 
Dexter Sinister
+1
#12
The billboard cites the Bible, why shouldn't I talk about it?
 
Serryah
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

When it's taken out of context, you bet it's ignorant.


I'll let the people who put up the billboard answer this.
As an African American and an atheist, the recent stir caused by the PA Nonbelievers/American Atheists billboard is both surprising and disheartening. While I expected a negative reaction from religious African Americans, I was disturbed to find dissent from Black people within the Secular Movement.

The quote presented, “Slaves obey your masters,” was not taken out of context and is only one of the MANY locations in the Bible that you can observe a pro-slavery message. The image used was not created by American Atheists for this purpose, but was reprinted to illustrate the brutality that the Bible condones — and the reality of the conditions my ancestors endured. I am deeply saddened that the purpose of our billboard has been labeled as racist or as an “attack” on African Americans or a particular PA community. This vitriol is sorely misplaced, and should be directed at those who peddle Scripture as fact — or toward the PA House of Representatives that successfully sought to legislate it as such.

If you are rightfully upset by the Bible passage or the image used to represent it, do not take it up with American Atheists. We don’t agree with them either! The only difference is that we refuse to deny the reality of what is in the Bible, and its role the historical & ongoing oppression of African Americans. If that is controversial, then so be it. As long as 2012 is the “Year of the Bible” in PA, we will be providing even more samples of the “Good Book” to show the folks of Pennsylvania what their government thinks is important. Maybe 2013 will be the “Year of Improved Infrastructure” or the “Year of Job-Growth” instead.

AJ Johnson
Development Director
American Atheists

 
Goober
+1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by SerryahView Post

I'll let the people who put up the billboard answer this.
As an African American and an atheist, the recent stir caused by the PA Nonbelievers/American Atheists billboard is both surprising and disheartening. While I expected a negative reaction from religious African Americans, I was disturbed to find dissent from Black people within the Secular Movement.
The quote presented, “Slaves obey your masters,” was not taken out of context and is only one of the MANY locations in the Bible that you can observe a pro-slavery message. The image used was not created by American Atheists for this purpose, but was reprinted to illustrate the brutality that the Bible condones — and the reality of the conditions my ancestors endured. I am deeply saddened that the purpose of our billboard has been labeled as racist or as an “attack” on African Americans or a particular PA community. This vitriol is sorely misplaced, and should be directed at those who peddle Scripture as fact — or toward the PA House of Representatives that successfully sought to legislate it as such.
If you are rightfully upset by the Bible passage or the image used to represent it, do not take it up with American Atheists. We don’t agree with them either! The only difference is that we refuse to deny the reality of what is in the Bible, and its role the historical & ongoing oppression of African Americans. If that is...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Lots in the Bible that is not present in many cultures today. To me it is just another hatefest no more , no less than another attempt to create controvsry and hate. - Why?
 
gerryh
#15
and mr. johnson doesn't know his *** from a hole in the ground.

Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Lots in the Bible that is not present in many cultures today. To me it is just another hatefest no more , no less than another attempt to create controvsry and hate. - Why?


because that is the whole reason de etre of the atheist religion.
 
Colpy
+3
#16
Slavery has existed in every single human "civilization" that I know of down through history..........and has only been practically eliminated in places touched by western civilization..........

And the abolitionist movement was created by......Quakers, and spearheaded by Quakers, Baptists, Methodists.............

The Atheist Movement has their head firmly planted in their rectum.

BTW, I notice they caefully don't go after Muslim slavery and the Koran...........I wonder why that is?????
 
gerryh
+3
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post


The Atheist Movement has their head firmly planted in their rectum.

BTW, I notice they caefully don't go after Muslim slavery and the Koran...........I wonder why that is?????


They prefer their head firmly planted in their rectum as opposed to rolling down the street?
 
Colpy
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

They prefer their head firmly planted in their rectum as opposed to rolling down the street?

ROTFLMAO!!

Exactly correct.
 
EagleSmack
#19
Ahhh... the Cult of Atheism.... a religion unto itself! How they love attacking the ones that turn the other cheek yet will not dare attack the others.
 
Dexter Sinister
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Slavery has existed in every single human "civilization" that I know of down through history..........and has only been practically eliminated in places touched by western civilization..........

And the abolitionist movement was created by......Quakers, and spearheaded by Quakers, Baptists, Methodists.............

I don't think religion gets any points here, considering that the African slave trade was begun by European colonial powers in the 15th century at a time when religion had a good deal more secular authority than it does now. The major impetus was resistance among the slaves themselves, coupled with secular philosophies, particularly ideas of individual rights and the separation of church and state that came out of the Enlightenment and the American and French Revolutions.
Quote:

The Atheist Movement has their head firmly planted in their rectum.

You surprise me. I'd expect a crack like that from some people, but you're generally more cogent than that. Don't kid yourself, if religion had the kind of secular power in western civilization that it had a few centuries ago, it'd still be murdering people for heresy and apostasy and demanding 10% of your income. Listened to Rick Santorum lately?
 
gerryh
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

I don't think religion gets any points here, considering that the African slave trade was begun by European colonial powers in the 15th century at a time when religion had a good deal more secular authority than it does now. The major impetus was resistance among the slaves themselves, coupled with secular philosophies, particularly ideas of individual rights and the separation of church and state.

Really, you mean the black slave trade came about long after the Bible? Not like the poster imply's?
 
Cannuck
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

The billboard cites the Bible, why shouldn't I talk about it?

Because it's uncomfortable for some people.

Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

BTW, I notice they caefully don't go after Muslim slavery and the Koran...........I wonder why that is?????

Most likely because the billboard is in a "christian" country.
 
Dexter Sinister
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Really, you mean the black slave trade came about long after the Bible? Not like the poster imply's?

No, slavery long pre-dates and post-dates the Bible, as Colpy said, slavery's been a feature of all civilizations until recently, and still is in some places. I meant only that the African slave trade in the Christian west was started by the Christian west. The major point is that the Bible nowhere condemns slavery, not even Jesus is reported as speaking out against it, the whole text just takes it as a given, and it even offers rules about it, as the billboard in the OP says, in both the Old and the New Testaments. So whatever Christians came out against it in the abolitionist movement, they weren't getting their ethics from the Bible. The secondary point is that the King James version of the Bible in the verse cited in the billboard in the OP says servants, not slaves, and can be read as being about an employer-employee relationship. In that context what it says seems perfectly reasonable, employees should do as the boss instructs, and the boss should be fair and equitable. Maybe you missed it, but I was agreeing with your point about context.
 
TenPenny
+1
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Slavery has existed in every single human "civilization" that I know of down through history..........and has only been practically eliminated in places touched by western civilization..........

And the abolitionist movement was created by......Quakers, and spearheaded by Quakers, Baptists, Methodists.............

The Atheist Movement has their head firmly planted in their rectum.

BTW, I notice they caefully don't go after Muslim slavery and the Koran...........I wonder why that is?????

Did Pennsylvania make 2012 the Year of the Quran?
 
DaSleeper
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Slavery has existed in every single human "civilization" that I know of down through history..........and has only been practically eliminated in places touched by western civilization..........

And the abolitionist movement was created by......Quakers, and spearheaded by Quakers, Baptists, Methodists.............

The Atheist Movement has their head firmly planted in their rectum.

BTW, I notice they caefully don't go after Muslim slavery and the Koran...........I wonder why that is?????

I double dog dare the ahteist cult to go and post some anti Islam posters in Iran or Egypt or Libya
 
Cannuck
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

I double dog dare the ahteist cult to go and post some anti Islam posters in Iran or Egypt or Libya

They would probably upset some religious nutters, just like they have done here. Fortunately in NA, we haven't given the religious nutters too much control.
 
EagleSmack
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

I double dog dare the ahteist cult to go and post some anti Islam posters in Iran or Egypt or Libya

You wont see that happening. They know better than that. Christians are the easy target. They won't even make target them here.

The bottom line is the Religion of Atheism is made up of a bunch of D***s. They are the group of loud mouthed fans that ruin a sporting event by yellling and swearing regardless of whos around them... women, children. They don't care.
 
captain morgan
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

I don't think religion gets any points here, considering that the African slave trade was begun by European colonial powers in the 15th century at a time when religion had a good deal more secular authority than it does now.

Western/European slavers could never have trafficked in slavery had the tribal factions in Africa not been engaged in the practice at the outset. Members of outside tribes were routinely captured and used as slaves, the Europeans added in the element of trade/barter which in turn, turned the tribal focus into one of pseudo-commercial

That said, the African slave trade was not really started by Christians of European descent

Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

The billboard cites the Bible, why shouldn't I talk about it?

Great - I suppose that it would be in good taste to erect a billboard decrying the threats of atheism by using Jeffrey Dhamer as the poster-boy?
 
DaSleeper
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

You wont see that happening. They know better than that. Christians are the easy target. They won't even make target them here.

The bottom line is the Religion of Atheism is made up of a bunch of D***s. They are the group of loud mouthed fans that ruin a sporting event by yellling and swearing regardless of whos around them... women, children. They don't care.

Would you expect any less from pseudo-intellectuals who look down at anyone who don't share their beliefs..
All religious extremists are the same....
 
mentalfloss
#30
Everything is okay.

Breathe.

Everyone is good.

Once you feel the religious tolerance moving through your body, you will begin to accept every form and dogma as natural and we're each one and the same.

Now move your pelvis forward and slowly bend over as we begin the milking process.
 
no new posts