Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

No live ones that admit it....

Unless they live in Israel.

Bullshyte.

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchvG46GDFMTRgE

Dexter Sinister
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

I'd like to see those "atheists" go over to Iran and protest the Quran.

And I'd like to see Christian missionaries try to sell their message there too.
Quote:

They are lucky to live here in North America where you have the freedom to be a dumb ***.

You think being an atheist is being a dumb ***, or is it just the ones who put up that billboard?

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

African nations would often enslave those they conquered. The Portuguese figured it out first that they could be bought for use in the New World. Eventually the Western nations figured out that they didn't even need to do that, they could just enslave them themselves and cut out the middle man.

Right. But selling slaves in Africa was big business so other Africans went on their own hunts and sold them at market.

Goober
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

And I'd like to see Christian missionaries try to sell their message there too. You think being an atheist is being a dumb ***, or is it just the ones who put up that billboard?

Let me see. A Christian sometimes gets a tad tired of all the back and forth - mostly unpleasant regarding belief or non belief.
We have been called everything including a dumb ***. You know that as well as I.

So now you are seeing the other side of the coin.

Lots of members on this Forum have religious beliefs - Do you see the majority of them slamming you - others for not have religious beliefs, and doing so on a continuous and never ending slam the Christian. As I mentioned earlier - another damm thread on Religion.

As to the billboard - I stated all this advertisement does is create hatred, anger and does nothing in a positive way. It is 100 % home grown intolerance.
Last edited by Goober; Mar 9th, 2012 at 07:18 PM..

L Gilbert
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

It is 100 % home grown intolerance.

So is declaring "Year of the Bible".

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Right. But selling slaves in Africa was big business so other Africans went on their own hunts and sold them at market.

No buts... that's part of what I said...

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

So is declaring "Year of the Bible".

I agree but that does not rebut my point.
Last edited by Goober; Mar 9th, 2012 at 06:46 PM..

talloola
+2

About this slavery thing, as I said, most, if not all, cultures had slaves in them at one time or other. African tribes enslaved individuals of other African tribes long before Europeans figured out how to get around in boats. Slavery was in North America long before Columbus landed here, as well. Slavery was around long before the first Bible was scratched out.

And anyone thinking atheism is a religion is just plain ignorant. A-theism literally means without beliefs in gods. Religions require beilefs. Not believing in stuff is not the same as believing in the opposite. Get a grip.

yes gilbert that is right, but it always gets turned around, somehow many want to drag atheists into
the grip of religions, but you're right, I just don't believe what they believe, has nothing to do
with being a religion, it's just not believing, pretty simple.

But I suppose there are atheists who are 'over the top' and are irritating about their non beliefs to
the point of sounding very anti religious, and critical, it becomes preaching, and puts them
in the same catagorie as religious preaching.

L Gilbert

I agree but that does not rebut my point.

Wasn't meant to.

damngrumpy
We have too groups out of control the believers who believe almost everything they are
told and the atheists who believe in nothing. Believing in nothing is still believing in something,
which is nothing in this case. Both groups have also lost something their credibility

Dexter Sinister

So now you are seeing the other side of the coin.

I've seen it before, here and elsewhere and in real life, no big deal.
Quote:

Lots of members on this Forum have religious beliefs - Do you see the majority of them slamming you - others for not have religious beliefs, and on doing so on a continuous and never ending slam the Christian. As I mentioned earlier - another damm thread on Religion.

You're under no obligation to take part in discussions of religion if you don't like them. If you want to have a religious discussion in which the core claims themselves are not challenged, you'll have to go somewhere else, you can't do it in a place like this. What I've seen, again here and elsewhere and in real life, is that lots of people with religious beliefs can't tell the difference between a personal attack and an attack on a set of claims and ideas. The latter is perfectly legitimate, religious claims and ideas don't get a free ride just because they have the religious label on them. The former is the logical fallacy called the ad hominem argument and it's not legitimate. If all you can come up with in response to a challenge to your position is to call people dumb asses, or suggest they have their heads up their butts as another poster did earlier, your position and your arguments in support of it are bankrupt.

petros
75,000,000 bound into slavery in the world as you read this......

Did the bible do it?

Anti-Slavery (external - login to view)

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

We have too groups out of control the believers who believe almost everything they are
told and the atheists who believe in nothing. Believing in nothing is still believing in something,
which is nothing in this case. Both groups have also lost something their credibility

Nope. Atheism is the lack of belief in gods. A lack of belief is not a belief.

gerryh
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

yes gilbert that is right, but it always gets turned around, somehow many want to drag atheists into
the grip of religions, but you're right, I just don't believe what they believe, has nothing to do

But I suppose there are atheists who are 'over the top' and are irritating about their non beliefs to
the point of sounding very anti religious, and critical, it becomes preaching, and puts them

look in the mirror.

Goober
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

I've seen it before, here and elsewhere and in real life, no big deal. You're under no obligation to take part in discussions of religion if you don't like them. If you want to have a religious discussion in which the core claims themselves are not challenged, you'll have to go somewhere else, you can't do it in a place like this. What I've seen, again here and elsewhere and in real life, is that lots of people with religious beliefs can't tell the difference between a personal attack and an attack on a set of claims and ideas. The latter is perfectly legitimate, religious claims and ideas don't get a free ride just because they have the religious label on them. The former is the logical fallacy called the ad hominem argument and it's not legitimate. If all you can come up with in response to a challenge to your position is to call people dumb asses, or suggest they have their heads up their butts as another poster did earlier, your position and your arguments in support of it are bankrupt.

Would you agree that for people with Religious beliefs it is nearly impossible,even when the OP is clear to have that discussion free from ridicule?

And I do not see anyone, except for a couple no longer posting that are trying to force anything down someones throat or bring them into the grip of religion as some would say.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

believe in nothing, nonsense, I believe in many many things, I just don't believe in gods,
or anything related to religion.

believing in nothing is still believing in something, which is nothing in this case,- 'unbelievable'. lol

Dexter Sinister

Would you agree that for people with Religious beliefs it is nearly impossible,even when the OP is clear to have that discussion free from ridicule?

Yes, I'd agree with that, there will always be people who'll resort to ridicule when they can't think of any other arguments, and that comes from both sides. And so what? That's a given, it's going to happen, people who can't handle it shouldn't join the conversation. Besides, some claims ARE ridiculous.

EagleSmack
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

Exactly... clearly these Atheists are going around preaching...spreading their word... like a religion. Most often during Christan Holy seasons.

Nope. Atheism is the lack of belief in gods. A lack of belief is not a belief.

Is...

"I truly believe there is no God"

... a false statement?

Locutus

Exactly... clearly these Atheists are going around preaching...spreading their word... like a religion. Most often during Christan Holy seasons.

Is...

... a false statement?

They're trolling the nation just like ol' flukette. Plain and simple.

Vanni Fucci
+1

BTW, I notice they caefully don't go after Muslim slavery and the Koran...........I wonder why that is?????

Because the state of PA did not legislate it to be the "Year of the Koran"...mabye the PA Muslims should take that up with their government too...and the Hindus for not having "Year of the Bhagavad Gita, Upanishads and Veda"...

I agree that the message on the billboard was ill advised, as too many people (a lot of them here it would seem) would be likley to misconstrue the meaning and therefore the message is lost...

DaSleeper
Be the first in this forum to Join

There is no cost....although a small donation would be appreciated...

Run your own Bingo....

Perform Weddings......Since man comes from monkeys....anything goes....
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

With the First Church of Atheism you can become ordained quickly, easily, and at no cost.

As a legally ordained minister, you will be able to perform weddings, funerals, commitment ceremonies, and other functions that are reserved for members of clergy.

Since its inception, the First Church of Atheism has amassed quite a following around the world. FCA ministers come from all walks of life. They are every race, ethnicity, age, and creed. The one thing binding every FCA minister is his or her belief in science, reason, and reality.

The First Church of Atheism wants you to pursue and cherish your realistic beliefs without interference from any outside agency, including government or church authority. We provide our service for free, as we believe it is every atheists right to perform these clergy functions.

You may become a legally ordained minister for life, without cost, and without question.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

First Church of Atheism (external - login to view)

Adendum: This might be more appropriate in "Fun and Jokes"...But since there is already a thred on a related subject?????

Cannuck

No live ones that admit it....

Unless they live in Israel.

The video that L Gilbert posted shot your post full of holes before you even posted it. Fifteen people that this guy is aware of have admitted they are atheists. Obviously they aren't too afraid.

Niflmir

Is...

... a false statement?

Gnostic atheists are a rare breed. Most atheists are of the agnostic variety. I am a gnostic atheist. I believe that of the definitions of a personal god that exist in the established religions, all are provably non-existent and the ones lacking definitions are subject to non-cognitivism.

But I am a very rare breed of atheist.

Spade
Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

But I am a very rare breed of atheist.

Typical or atypical?

Goober
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Vanni FucciView Post

Because the state of PA did not legislate it to be the "Year of the Koran"...mabye the PA Muslims should take that up with their government too...and the Hindus for not having "Year of the Bhagavad Gita, Upanishads and Veda"...

I agree that the message on the billboard was ill advised, as too many people (a lot of them here it would seem) would be likley to misconstrue the meaning and therefore the message is lost...

The billboards message was clear - To cause controversy - Nothing positive was added to the debate. Nothing.

L Gilbert

Is...

... a false statement?

Depends upon the person. A true atheist simply has no beliefs in gods. That's not the same as believing in the opposite. Wifey believes there are no gods simply because the probabilities say there are none. But as an atheistic agnostic she thinks humans wouldn't know much at all about gods so they are pretty irrelevant.
I am atheist and I simply don't know if there are or not and that has nothing to do with what I believe. I don't know if there are living beings on one of the planets of Sirius A or Sirius B so there's no point in believing anything one way or the other.

no new posts