Atheist group's slavery billboard in Harrisburg offends African-Americans

Dexter Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

... the Europeans added in the element of trade...

That said, the African slave trade was not really started by Christians of European descent

You do realize those two claims are inconsistent?
Quote:

Great - I suppose that it would be in good taste to erect a billboard decrying the threats of atheism by using Jeffrey Dhamer as the poster-boy?

I've said nothing about taste, but if somebody erected such a billboard I'd feel free to talk about that too. I don't see your point.

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

You do realize those two claims are inconsistent?

You've been highly selective in your considerations.

The fact still remains, Europeans would never had any opportunity to participate in the slave trade had there been no slaves in the first place.

The tribal customs in the past were done to achieve certain benefits... The presence of the European interest simply provided another form of consideration (from the perspective of the group that enslaved the individuals in the first place).

The initial post that I responded to was presented in a manner that sought to suggest that there was no slave activity prior to Europeans participating in that disgusting practice.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

Would you expect any less from pseudo-intellectuals who look down at anyone who don't share their beliefs..
All religious extremists are the same....

Yes... that is the catch all when confronted at the pointed attack on Christians by these cultist.... or we don't believe in any religions.

damngrumpy
+1
This whole thing is offencive in the worst way regardless of whether the bottom was
ripped off. I have many beefs with Bible and contest whether its entirely accurate but
I see no need to be disrespectful to those with different opinions. In fact the Atheists
complain because they are not respected for their opinions then they go do something
like this.
I agree the Bible was a historical document, then a spiritual document and now it is a
political document. Today the spiritual message has gone by the wayside in favour of
being a political control method.

Today we see the Bible as a means of control in various ways.
1 If you don't do what God says you can't go to Heaven with the rest.
2 Everyone else is going to church and if you don't go you are not part
of Gods family and therefore you are left out of things in the Neighbourhood.
So much for the positive message of Mr. Rogers.
3 If you are going to be part of the church you have to believe the same as everyone
else.
4 On a broader scale the society all believes and no one should question the Bible we
even have to swear on the Bible to be believed in court. As if you can't just tell the
truth and shame the Devil as it were.

The problem is the Atheists created a reaction to a high profile stunt which did nothing
for their cause or anyone Else's. Instead of dealing with the problem they see with the
system they created a different problem. Public opinion is the single biggest asset any
group has and when you lose faith with that group you are done for a long period of
time. Nope I don't agree with what they did or with what those who vandalized it did.

I would like to see the whole Jesus business industry cleaned up some what but I see no
need to be disrespectful. In using the term Jesus Business I say that because that is what
it has become. It used to be something spiritual. Now its about bigger churches, and the
business of creating wealth. Its about bigger TV Ministries and total Hypocrisy and that is
the problem. It does not have to be abandoned but it does have to be regulated in some
manner because of its own excesses and out of control behaviour. Today those engaged
in the ministry have no accountability and that is the problem. Jesus is not the problem
many of those who claim to represent him are the problem.

Goober

No, slavery long pre-dates and post-dates the Bible, as Colpy said, slavery's been a feature of all civilizations until recently, and still is in some places. I meant only that the African slave trade in the Christian west was started by the Christian west. The major point is that the Bible nowhere condemns slavery, not even Jesus is reported as speaking out against it, the whole text just takes it as a given, and it even offers rules about it, as the billboard in the OP says, in both the Old and the New Testaments. So whatever Christians came out against it in the abolitionist movement, they weren't getting their ethics from the Bible. The secondary point is that the King James version of the Bible in the verse cited in the billboard in the OP says servants, not slaves, and can be read as being about an employer-employee relationship. In that context what it says seems perfectly reasonable, employees should do as the boss instructs, and the boss should be fair and equitable. Maybe you missed it, but I was agreeing with your point about context.

Who supplied the slaves to the western countries?

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

God, of course.

Who else is there?

Dexter Sinister

The Portuguese, the Dutch, the French, and the British, primarily from Africa. Abolitionist Movement (external - login to view)

EagleSmack

The Portuguese, the Dutch, the French, and the British, primarily from Africa. Abolitionist Movement (external - login to view)

Those are Western countries. Who supplied them with slaves?

WLDB
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

BTW, I notice they caefully don't go after Muslim slavery and the Koran...........I wonder why that is?????

They arent in a country where fundamental Islam is a major political force. Im all for going after all religious extremists regardless of which religion they are. People are far too afraid of the Muslim extremists.

wulfie68
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

You've been highly selective in your considerations.

The fact still remains, Europeans would never had any opportunity to participate in the slave trade had there been no slaves in the first place.

The tribal customs in the past were done to achieve certain benefits... The presence of the European interest simply provided another form of consideration (from the perspective of the group that enslaved the individuals in the first place).

The initial post that I responded to was presented in a manner that sought to suggest that there was no slave activity prior to Europeans participating in that disgusting practice.

You're being disingenuous in decrying slavery as something that never occurred in Europe until there was a demand in the colonies. Slavery existed in Europe prior to and during Roman domination. It existed in various forms and in various places long after. Feudalism was essentially slavery from the serfs' perspective.

That aside, the billboard in question is in unquestionably poor taste. I don't agree with many actions by self-professed Christians (many of whom seem to be stuck in the Old Testament, and not really on board with JC's message of peace, love, forgiveness and acceptance), and I think the state legislature of PA was wrong to try and create a "year of the bible" what is predominantly a secular society, but this type of response is garbage.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

They arent in a country where fundamental Islam is a major political force.

That would be an excuse they would use I am sure.

Quote:

People are far too afraid of the Muslim extremists.

DING DING DING

You win a prize WLDB. That is EXACTLY why. Well said lad. The shiatsu would hit the fan if they dared pull this with Muslims. They're cowards plain and simple.

MHz
When is Canada going to get slapped with a class action lawsuit for making them take the 'underground railway' instead og the 'regular one'?

Slave traders were pretty much anybody with a big boat, they didn't sail east with an empty hold, they made a loop, Africa, America, Europe, Africa, etc. Commonly called Merchants and people were just another cargo

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

That would be an excuse they would use I am sure.

DING DING DING

You win a prize WLDB. That is EXACTLY why. Well said lad. The shiatsu would hit the fan if they dared pull this with Muslims. They're cowards plain and simple.

I think they should set an example as Missionaries do - spread their Non Belief in countries that are dominated by Religions.

Just start on the countries that have one major dominating Religion. Might I suggest Saudi Arabia, then move on, headless of course.

EagleSmack

I think they should set an example as Missionaries do - spread their Non Belief in countries that are dominated by Religions.

Just start on the countries that have one major dominating Religion. Might I suggest Saudi Arabia, then move on, headless of course.

Absolutely! They should send Atheist Missionaries to these countries and spread their teachings that there is no God. I mean if they feel so strongly about it that they feel the need to place these billboards up around the Christian Holy seasons then surely they can spread their non-belief teachings to the Middle East!

MHz
+1

then move on, headless of course.

'Roll on' perhaps? When is it Saudi's turn or are they going to be allowed to keep some citizens 'in chains under reservation like conditions'. The bill of goods of bringing the American dream to the mid east is based in conditions that were in common practice before the Civil War.

Goober

Absolutely! They should send Atheist Missionaries to these countries and spread their teachings that there is no God. I mean if they feel so strongly about it that they feel the need to place these billboards up around the Christian Holy seasons then surely they can spread their non-belief teachings to the Middle East!

What is the Atheistic equivalent of "Get Religion".

MHz

Start small, get 'false Christians' mentioned on national news.

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

BTW, I notice they caefully don't go after Muslim slavery and the Koran...........I wonder why that is?????

Lost your reading glasses?

Because it's not Year of the Quran...It's Year of the Bible in Pennsylvania (external - login to view).

ETA: I see TenPenny was first to walk that mole.

Dexter Sinister

They fetched them themselves, sometimes directly by sending in raiding parties to round them up, sometimes by acquiring captives provided by other people.

WLDB
+3

They fetched them themselves, sometimes directly by sending in raiding parties to round them up, sometimes by acquiring captives provided by other people.

Something often ignored is that it was Africans capturing and selling fellow Africans to the Europeans in many cases.

Tonington
+1

African nations would often enslave those they conquered. The Portuguese figured it out first that they could be bought for use in the New World. Eventually the Western nations figured out that they didn't even need to do that, they could just enslave them themselves and cut out the middle man.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

African nations would often enslave those they conquered. The Portuguese figured it out first that they could be bought for use in the New World. Eventually the Western nations figured out that they didn't even need to do that, they could just enslave them themselves and cut out the middle man.

Some info for you to review regarding the Portuguese opinion

African slave trade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

www.slaverysite.com/Body/maps.htm (external - login to view)

History Slave Trade (external - login to view)

Tonington

Some info for you to review your belief it was the Portuguese

Who brought slaves to the New World first? America is in the New World, slavery is far older than the colonization of this side of the Atlantic, but I don't think it's as relative for the response in the US to topics addressing slavery.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Who brought slaves to the New World first? America is in the New World, slavery is far older than the colonization of this side of the Atlantic, but I don't think it's as relative for the response in the US to topics addressing slavery.

It was an open topic on slavery - All the roots - all the evil - all the ones involved.

DaSleeper
I se that someone has exercised their "freedom of expression

Tonington
+1

It was an open topic on slavery - All the roots - all the evil - all the ones involved.

Well I was approaching the question from the context of the thread, which began with widespread offense in the US. Slavery is a touchy subject in the US. I think also the sheer magnitude of the trans-Atlantic slave trade dwarfs any slave trade that European nations had earlier, in relative terms.

The bonded labour form of slavery in Asia right now is particularly disgusting, for a contemporary topic.

L Gilbert
+2
About this slavery thing, as I said, most, if not all, cultures had slaves in them at one time or other. African tribes enslaved individuals of other African tribes long before Europeans figured out how to get around in boats. Slavery was in North America long before Columbus landed here, as well. Slavery was around long before the first Bible was scratched out.

And anyone thinking atheism is a religion is just plain ignorant. A-theism literally means without beliefs in gods. Religions require beilefs. Not believing in stuff is not the same as believing in the opposite. Get a grip.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

A billboard in Harrisburg portraying a black man with a metal collar around his neck has offended some black Pennsylvanians.

The billboard saying "Slaves, obey your masters," a quote from the Bible, was paid for by the americanatheists.org (external - login to view). The sign is at 13th and Paxton streets in the Allison Hill neighborhood, the city's most racially diverse section.

The message is intended for the state lawmakers who recently passed a bill announcing 2012 as the Year of the Bible (external - login to view), the organization said.

more

Atheist group's slavery billboard in Harrisburg offends African-Americans | PennLive.com (external - login to view)

wow..

I'd like to see those "atheists" go over to Iran and protest the Quran. really. They are lucky to live here in North America where you have the freedom to be a dumb ***.

L Gilbert
+1
So who can say for sure that there aren't any atheists in the ME? Got any idea at all?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=G46GDFMTRgE (external - login to view)

Colpy
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

So who can say for sure that there aren't any atheists in the ME? Got any idea at all?

No live ones that admit it....

Unless they live in Israel.

no new posts