Govt. agencies, colleges demand applicants' Facebook passwords

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
If you think privacy settings on your Facebook and Twitter accounts guarantee future employers or schools can't see your private posts, guess again.

Employers and colleges find the treasure-trove of personal information hiding behind password-protected accounts and privacy walls just too tempting, and some are demanding full access from job applicants and student athletes.
In Maryland, job seekers applying to the state's Department of Corrections have been asked during interviews to log into their accounts and let an interviewer watch while the potential employee clicks through wall posts, friends, photos and anything else that might be found behind the privacy wall.

Previously, applicants were asked to surrender their user name and password, but a complaint from the ACLU stopped that practice last year. While submitting to a Facebook review is voluntary, virtually all applicants agree to it out of a desire to score well in the interview, according Maryland ACLU legislative director Melissa Coretz Goemann.

more

Red Tape - Govt. agencies, colleges demand applicants' Facebook passwords

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
If you think privacy settings on your Facebook and Twitter accounts guarantee future employers or schools can't see your private posts, guess again.

Employers and colleges find the treasure-trove of personal information hiding behind password-protected accounts and privacy walls just too tempting, and some are demanding full access from job applicants and student athletes.
In Maryland, job seekers applying to the state's Department of Corrections have been asked during interviews to log into their accounts and let an interviewer watch while the potential employee clicks through wall posts, friends, photos and anything else that might be found behind the privacy wall.

Previously, applicants were asked to surrender their user name and password, but a complaint from the ACLU stopped that practice last year. While submitting to a Facebook review is voluntary, virtually all applicants agree to it out of a desire to score well in the interview, according Maryland ACLU legislative director Melissa Coretz Goemann.

more

Red Tape - Govt. agencies, colleges demand applicants' Facebook passwords

You can bet I won't be applying to the Maryland Dept of Corrections.

Every day another example of the way the powers that be keep working toward that Orwellian, big brother society.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Gotta catch me first. ;)
Ah hell no, I'll just use bait.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
you guys gotta remember that she just finished telling us that she lies about herself on the net...soooooo..... in reality "she" is a 25 year old virginal computer nerd who still lives in his mom and dads basement.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
you guys gotta remember that she just finished telling us that she lies about herself on the net...soooooo..... in reality "she" is a 25 year old virginal computer nerd who still lives in his mom and dads basement.

Excuse me, but a 25 year old virginal computer nerd who still lives in mom and dads basement....with a killer rack. ;)

And I actually managed to type virginal with a straight face. LOL.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Excuse me, but a 25 year old virginal computer nerd who still lives in mom and dads basement....with a killer rack. ;)

And I actually managed to type virginal with a straight face. LOL.

ya, rack as in server rack.