Man who testified in Shafia trial shunned by family

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Man who testified in Shafia trial shunned by family

Paul Schliesmann, QMI Agency

KINGSTON, ONT. - A man who helped convict his niece of killing three of her daughters and her husband’s first wife says he has been ostracized from his family and friends.

“At the beginning, not just in Afghan society, some of the Canadians abandoned me,” said Latif Hyderi, a 65-year-old Montreal man. “We would go to the mosque and no one would talk to me.”

Hyderi appeared at the Kingston Mills murder trial in November to testify that Mohammad Shafia, Shafia’s wife and Hyderi’s niece Tooba Yahya and their son, Hamed.

They were each found guilty of four counts of first-degree murder, for killing daughters Zainab, Sahar, Geeti, and Shafia’s first wife, Rona Amir Mohammad. The bodies of the four women were found in a car submerged at the Rideau Canal locks in Kingston on June 30, 2009. The Crown was told the women were part of an honour killing because of their acceptance of Western ideals and trends.

Hyderi, who speaks neither English nor French and spoke with QMI Agency through his son, Reza, said the women’s deaths were made more tragic because Zainab was engaged to marry his son, Hussain.

Hyderi had to choose between justice and family the day he learned his future daughter-in-law was found dead in the Rideau Canal.
He testified against Shafia, even though his family and other members of the Afghan society in Montreal urged him not to.

“When the killings happened my father knew it was not an accident because Mr. Shafia told my dad he was going to kill Zainab. For my parents it’s everything. He’s very disappointed in the reaction to his testimony, though he knew it was reality,” Reza said.

At the trial, Hyderi said he tried to convince Mohammad to ease up on the restrictions, that they were living in a whole different culture in Canada.

“If Shafia would listen to me those four women would be alive on this earth,” he told the court. “I feel very bad for what they introduced to the community. For me, the children were always clean.”

Hussain, now 29, is refusing interviews. Reza said his brother was devastated by what transpired and is trying to put his life back together.

“It’s hard for me to see Tooba, my niece, in prison. It’s very shameful,” Hyderi said. “I swear I was a friend to the Shafias and I never thought they would face such a time.

“No matter what they think — even if they consider me an enemy — I tell the truth and nothing else.

“My duty was to oppose the crime and stand up for reality. In that, I have God with me and I felt it was right.”

Shafia, Yahya and Hamed are appealing their convictions.

Man who testified in Shafia trial shunned by family | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You know what? Good for him. Breaking with strong cultural ties, especially those which have cultural elements that are very segregated from the rest of the nation as a whole, has to be a really difficult thing to do. The fact that he chose to do the right thing instead of the expected thing, kind of fills me with a bit of hope.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I find it ironic that the guy how actually showed some honour (by testifying) in the trial is the one painted to be the "bad guy" by the rest of his family. Yep. He's far worse than the pieces of **** that went and murdered three people.:roll:

Hopefully they weigh-in on the subject. I too will be quite interested in their reaction

To be honest, I don't foresee that happening.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I think they're too busy posting in technicolour about fashion in Wreak Beach. But who knows, maybe they'll show.

I wonder if their favourite play is Joseph's Technicoloured Burka?;)

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I find it ironic that the guy how actually showed some honour (by testifying) in the trial is the one painted to be the "bad guy" by the rest of his family. Yep. He's far worse than the pieces of **** that went and murdered three people.:roll:

To be honest, I don't foresee that happening.

It sure is a tangled situation on this... But I do hope that they post a comment. I am very interested in learning about the relative value between family and family honour

I think they're too busy posting in technicolour about fashion in Wreak Beach. But who knows, maybe they'll show.

The first thing that I thought when I read your post was the reference to Wreck Beach... My initial thought was about Wreck Beach in Vancouver.

I can't possibly imagine their reaction to that place, especially in light of the expressed preference in wearing the full-body dress that has been advertised.

I wonder if their favourite play is Joseph's Technicoloured Burka?;)

I smell a broadway musical here!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
It sure is a tangled situation on this... But I do hope that they post a comment. I am very interested in learning about the relative value between family and family honour

The first thing that I thought when I read your post was the reference to Wreck Beach... My initial thought was about Wreck Beach in Vancouver.

I can't possibly imagine their reaction to that place, especially in light of the expressed preference in wearing the full-body dress that has been advertised.

I smell a broadway musical here!

I'm just glad that not everyone in that community feels the same as the ones that are doing the shunning. Just like in any culture, there are bad apples that make the entire community look bad.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I don't know, lol. The posts of many colours were fun at first, but kind of hard on the eyes after a while. :)

Why does Donny Osmond need new work? ;)

It's like a kid with too many crayons.;)

He'll have to convert first.. The irony on having an infidel play the lead role would be too crushing to bear.

Why would Bear be crushed to learn this?;):p LOL!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
He'll have to convert first.. The irony on having an infidel play the lead role would be too crushing to bear.

Be good press for the show though. In showbiz, there's no such thing as bad press. lol

On a side note: Why are you at home on a Sat night?.. You waiting on the feds to subsidize something? (haha - just BS-ing ya)

My date cancelled on me, lol. And I already told you, I stock up on my own. ;)

I had a girl's night in, dinner and watching movies. The girls went home early.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Why would Bear be crushed to learn this?;):p LOL!

Let's have a little fun with Bear and see if we can't convince him to convert... Maybe try-out for the top role?

My date cancelled on me, lol. And I already told you, I stock up on my own. ;)

I had a girl's night in, dinner and watching movies. The girls went home early.

I was just kidding earlier.. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Let's have a little fun with Bear and see if we can't convince him to convert... Maybe try-out for teh top role?

I was just kidding earlier.. Sorry about that.

He already had his own religion. It was called Assholology. He even had a website!:p:lol:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Somehow I don't think he'll go for it.

he may do it just out of spite and for a little fun too.

I know that. I was kidding back. :)

Ok, good... I have a knack for being able to perfectly time putting a foot in my mouth.

Too bad you're so far East, I'm set to go stepping out here shortly and you coulda come along

He already had his own religion. It was called Assholology. He even had a website!:p:lol:

Sweet.

Receiving his certification as a charitable tax status is not far away for him then