Killer Tornadoes

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Video Source: Tornadoes pound 7 states, killing 13 | wtsp.com

A late-winter tornado outbreak that pounded seven states Wednesday lashed the country music resort city of Branson, Mo., ripped into towns in other states and killed at least 13 people.

Communities in Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Kentucky, Indiana and Tennessee felt the impact of storms that spawned at least 20 tornadoes. Six people died in Illinois, three in Missouri and three in Tennessee.

More violent weather could come today and Friday in parts of the central and southern USA.

"Another storm will move in behind it in the south-central U.S.," said National Weather Service spokesman Chris Vaccaro. "It will drag warm, moist air up from the Gulf of Mexico to help produce yet another round of severe weather on Friday from Ohio to parts of the Gulf Coast states."

Forecasting specific severe outbreaks beyond Friday isn't possible, however. But "we're now entering the time of year - March and April - when the likelihood of tornadoes picks up," said meteorologist Russ Schumacher of Colorado State University.

It was a jolting early moment in the USA's tornado season after a brutal year of twisters in 2011. Last year, 550 Americans died in tornadoes, according to the Storm Prediction Center. That was the deadliest toll since 1925, when 794 people died.

Among places hardest hit Wednesday was Harrisburg, Ill., a town of about 10,000 where at least six people were killed and more than 100 were injured. "This morning the city of Harrisburg had a horrific event," Mayor Eric Gregg said, adding that the town was "in search and recovery mode."

Gregg noted that many residents of Harrisburg helped Joplin, Mo., last May after a tornado leveled a swath of that city, killing 161.

"Many of us went there to help, and today we find ourselves in need," Gregg said. He vowed that his city will bounce back. "We will rebuild this city," he said. "We will make this city stronger. This will not stop us. "

The National Weather Service said the Harrisburg tornado unleashed winds of up to 170 mph.

Branson sustained significant damage, but tourism officials there put a positive spin on conditions, saying most of the damage was cosmetic and wouldn't prevent most shows from going on. Branson Area Chamber of Commerce spokeswoman Mary Jane Rice said February is generally a slow time and most big-name entertainers don't arrive until spring.

Only five or six of the city's 50 theaters, 12-15 of about 200 hotels and five or six of about 100 attractions sustained significant damage, said Jean Mueller, a Branson spokeswoman. "We haven't begun to put a dollar amount on the damage," she said. "We were very fortunate."

Rice said she and co-workers are telling callers that most Branson attractions remain open. Much of the damage she had seen involved broken windows and destroyed awnings and neon signs, and she estimated that most of the destruction would be cleaned up within a few days.

"We are confident that Branson will be back bigger and better than ever," said Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon, a Democrat.

Dozens of homes were damaged in Kimberling City, west of Branson. Darby Cataline was not home when the storm crushed his home. "If I had been, I probably wouldn't have made it out alive," he said, adding that he'd recently finished remodeling the three-bedroom home. As he spoke, his months-old insulation filled nearby trees like snow. "Now, I'm gonna have to tear the rest down. There's nothing left here ... nothing left."

As if to demonstrate the random nature of the storm, the small double-wide trailer home of Cataline's neighbor, Guy Warneke, was left untouched. Warneke said he was awakened by the sound of his carport slamming against the trees. Neither his home nor his new Chevy Tahoe got a scratch.

According to the Storm Prediction Center, the Midwest outbreak produced more than 250 reports of large hail and damaging winds in addition to the 20 tornadoes.

Before this eruption, February had been relatively calm for tornadoes after a wild January during which at least 95 twisters were reported in the USA. That was the third most-active January since official record-keeping begin in 1950, says meteorologist Steve Bowen of Aon Benfield, a global insurance firm. Elsewhere:

• The small eastern Kansas town of Harveyville took a direct hit from an apparent tornado that injured 11 people, three critically, Kansas Highway Patrol Trooper Mark Engholm said.
  • At least two people were reported injured and about a dozen homes damaged in and around Hodgenville, Ky., when a tornado touched down at least three times, said Chris Jackson, the LaRue County 911 coordinator.
  • Three people were killed Wednesday evening in eastern Tennessee - two in Cumberland County and one in DeKalb County
  • In Newburgh, Ind., Warrick County Chief Deputy Sheriff Marvin Heilman said no injuries were reported after the town was hit by a tornado around 6 a.m.
Doyle Rice, Jess Rollins and Larry Copeland, USA TODAY

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Humm Global Warning?? Ironic it's hitting the 2nd biggest cause of global warming..

One tow in Indiana of 2000 is missing.. Fox News the whole town is gone.

Last edited:

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
What's hard is I used to drive here weekly.. it's amazing. Hope this does not stretch into Ontario.. It's currently as far up as southern Ohio.

ooops and they are considering shutting down oil refineries because of lack of power in the areas, when fuel prices are already high. Dam!!

That is really cutting close to "home". :-( This is really bad. One of the "storm chasers" is reporting on the devestation too. The feed coming in of the devestation almost makes me think of Japans horror

are you distant from the area at the moment.?? as in SAFE?? Surely HOPE so.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
That is really cutting close to "home". :sad: This is really bad. One of the "storm chasers" is reporting on the devestation too. The feed coming in of the devestation almost makes me think of Japans horror

are you distant from the area at the moment.?? as in SAFE?? Surely HOPE so.

Yeah,, "Back in Canada" left Arlington, TX 2 months ago and returned to Canada to live. Vancouver, BC. The Best Coast.

Here is my baby.. driven 42 states of the USA in this.. Arlington, TX to Cleveland, OH was a regular run for me.. when they show the pics.. hits close to home. Yes...

California/Arizona state line I10

New Mexico close to Ft Sumner where Jesse James was held.

Fort Sumner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Here is my baby.. driven 42 states of the USA in this.. Arlington, TX to Cleveland, OH was a regular run for me.. when they show the pics.. hits close to home. Yes...

California/Arizona state line I10

New Mexico close to Ft Sumner where Jesse James was held.

Fort Sumner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WOW...........now THAT "baby" is IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!!. The scenic photo is drop dead gorgeous. Having travelled so much.......suspect that each place holds special feelings.for you.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
WOW...........now THAT "baby" is IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!!. The scenic photo is drop dead gorgeous. Having travelled so much.......suspect that each place holds special feelings.for you.

Yes.. I have a lot of memories.. I will share a few..

New Mexico rest stop..

Alabama truck stop

Gator in Florida truck stop.. I was eating Pizza parked next to an open pond. I saw this gator and started to toss my pizza crust to him..

He decided to come to the side of my truck, and I needed to get out. I tossed a whole slice of pizza to him and he chased it into the pond.

I will tell you, 4:00AM when I had to leave and do a circle check.. I was checking all around my truck with a flash light before I stepped out.. wanted to keep my toes.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Check this YouTube of a Tornado in Borden, IN.. Holly Sh!t!! March 3rd, 2012

[youtube]rAZFRRBVFJo[/youtube]

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Totally awesome. Sure glad that 'gator is in a photo ;-) Great presence of mind to get that shot.

Yes.. I have a lot of memories.. I will share a few..

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Check this YouTube of a Tornado in Borden, IN.. Holly Sh!t!! March 3rd, 2012

[youtube]rAZFRRBVFJo[/youtube]

MY GOODNESS. !!!!! . heartfelt feelings to everyone affected by this. Talk about lives turned upside down and then sideways. It takes so little time to do this damage.......and so long to do the repairs and reconstruction. Losing a whole town is just shocking.

watching live feeds of this in the background............and words simply fail........

At least three people confirmed dead and an undetermined number of people injured, emergency officials and forecasters say

msnbc.com - Breaking news, science and tech news, world news, US news, local news- msnbc.com

.....the photo of the dog being rescued.......makes one wonder how many pets have been affected. :-(8O Heart breaking.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Indeed.!! Watching that same channel live.........and another person has died. :-( :-( :-(

Yeah,, "Back in Canada" left Arlington, TX 2 months ago and returned to Canada to live. Vancouver, BC. The Best Coast.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,the Best Coast indeed. We are practically neighbors. ( Sea to Sky Corrdor. Previously from Vancouver. )

BIG & WARM welcome back.:canada:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Thankfully, all we got locally were some high wind gusts. No tornadoes close by, thank goodness.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The winds here today are still quite strong.

Hope this all blows over soon and we don't see anymore death and destruction. :(

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Warm and caring thoughts/ wishes to all of you that have been affected. Keep us posted as you can. (with thanks) Be Safe.

Yes....BOOMer...........Give to the RC indeed.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
If the west is quite dry then the east is in danger of spring floods. I'm trying to remember what it was like in the last year the Red River almost swamped Winnipeg. We did have some semi drought conditions same years back. Anyway we missed the spring rains and Manitoba got them. For moisture to get past Alberta it would have to be a cold fast wind on the ground and the Pacific air is on top and that would spawn more twisters the further south it got and rains further east than normal.

If I was in twister country I would be putting come cables from my roof to some screw anchors in the ground (and glue all joints and use screws instead of nails, etc) That is just to save the structure. A 'rat-hole' is a tube of corrugated steel and is about 6th deep. The top is flush with the ground and install these under every trailer so a secure shelter is available and being all in the same relative location under each unit a passerby would be able to find it an survive a twister. Nobody will ever do it as it is the 'It won't happen to me bit.'

A blimp/balloon/glider ride through the thunder heads would be a blast, why don't the storm chasers use those? (from a safe distance) or use a hopped up spitfire and go wild getting data.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
The tornado that swept through southern Indiana on Friday was an EF-4 -- meaning it had sustained winds between 166 and 200 mph, putting it in the top 2% of all tornadoes in terms of strength, the National Weather Service said Saturday.

The tornado was a part of a string of vicious storms that contributed to at least 37 deaths in Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Alabama and Georgia.

Eleven states were hit by tornadoes on Friday.

source: CNN breaking news item.