B.C. School teachers - What would be fair?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The teachers are going on strike. The Gov't. doesn't seem to want to budge. We are in tough economic times, yet the politicians helped themselves to ridiculous raises a few years ago. On the other hand the teachers don't seem to realize that to get a raise would mean increased taxes, which would be a burden to a lot of people who earn far less than they do. What kind of example are the teachers setting for the children they teach? Are their demands just perpetuating greed? What's the solution? Would say a 2% raise be out of line?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
The BC gvt should start offering more licenses for private and charter schools.. The AB gvt did that everytime that the ATA went on strike and it has had a discernible impact on the stability in that sector today

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Simple. Do the opposite of what has been done over the past 40 years.

I tend to agree, start cutting wages, drive prices back down to a realistic level so we don't have to spend $million for a roof over our heads, but I'm thinking you and I are the only ones who would agree. :lol:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Simple. Do the opposite of what has been done over the past 40 years.

We have already spent the last 10 years trying to undo the damage done by by the dippers during the dark decade. The government union leaders are so far out in left field they make Jack Layton look like a conservative. If teachers want more money they can do like the rest of us. Work more hours either at a regular job or self employment. Oh wait very few teachers have any transferable job skills.

i would like to know exactly how many hours a year teachers put in, not counting after hours coaching etc since this is volunteer time. Then compare it to what the rest of us make for the same hours.
In my view no government employee should not have the right to strike. They are either essential services or redundant.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We have already spent the last 10 years trying to undo the damage done by by the dippers during the dark decade. The government union leaders are so far out in left field they make Jack Layton look like a conservative. If teachers want more money they can do like the rest of us. Work more hours either at a regular job or self employment. Oh wait very few teachers have any transferable job skills.

i would like to know exactly how many hours a year teachers put in, not counting after hours coaching etc since this is volunteer time. Then compare it to what the rest of us make for the same hours.
In my view no government employee should not have the right to strike. They are either essential services or redundant.
You have to go back far further than dippers.

It's not really a problem of undoing it's the lack of doing.

Lay off the damn parties. Expo hasn't been paid off and you go and have an Olympics? WTF?

And for Christ sakes get rid of that goddam $60 Billion in debt already even if damn near kills ya

It's what SK did. Bit the bullet and paid off debt, kept the belt tight while investing internally in whatever was rock solid. Financial and insurance lead our economy not oil, potash or other mining not agriculture not forestry.

Oil and mining were always underdeveloped because western infrastructure was underdeveloped and these resources are now feasible. Asia Pacific Bill Gatesway is the best damn thing to hit the West since the CPR.

USE IT!!!

If BC wants to make money, start dumping money into infrastructure so that Whitehorse and Yellowknife have direct access to the Gatesway.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's what SK did. Bit the bullet and paid off debt, kept the belt tight while investing internally in whatever was rock solid. Financial and insurance lead our economy not oil, potash or other mining not agriculture not forestry.

Oil and mining were always underdeveloped because western infrastructure was underdeveloped and these resources are now feasible. Asia Pacific Bill Gatesway is the best damn thing to hit the West since the CPR.

USE IT!!!

If BC wants to make money, start dumping money into infrastructure so that Whitehorse and Yellowknife have direct access to the Gatesway.

Finance and insurance doesn't generate money- oil, mining and potash does! :smile:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The tonnage of grain in Western Canada out weighs potash. It was good to run it to port on lines built in the 1800's or was that becoming too freakin' inefficient too?