Canadians need an aboriginal history lesson

dumpthemonarchy
This is a good idea. Canadians need to learn more about their history, that the country began before 1867. It opens a can of worms because history is an open ended subject and at this politically correct time, too many limits are put on what people can say and think. Partly because of great ignorance and bogus ideologies like multiculturalism.

Canadians need an aboriginal history lesson - The Globe and Mail

j.d.m. stewart

Special to Globe and Mail Update

Published Wednesday, Feb. 29, 2012 12:00AM EST

Last updated Wednesday, Feb. 29, 2012 12:04AM EST

134 comments

Among the 20 recommendations released last week by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission investigating the residential schools scandal, those directed to teaching the history of the period garnered the most attention.

Implicit in the TRC’s interim report is that the history of residential schools is not being taught. As such, the recommendations join a long list of occasions during which Canadians have been reminded of how their educational system is letting them down when it comes to teaching them about their country’s past.

Photos

Adrift

But this reminder has another, constructive dimension: It highlights the practical and vital value of a history education as well as the instrumental role it can play in closing a rift between aboriginals and non-aboriginals.

While it’s true that history can be abused and be divisive, the study of the past can also have a positive impact. It can be used to heal and to develop understanding and empathy, and it can encourage critical discourse among people. More obviously, studying history is one of the most important components of active citizenship. Learning about your country is essential.
As Canadian historian Margaret MacMillan wrote in her book The Uses and Abuses of History, “history responds to a variety of needs, from greater understanding of ourselves and our world to answers about what to do.”

All of this is of great relevance to the residential schools question. As a country, we have a golden opportunity to be a part of a solution to a historical wrong, but it will take dedication from government leaders and, perhaps more important, the country’s history teachers.

And the pressure is clearly on Canada’s schools to deliver.

“They want the full history of residential schools and aboriginal peoples taught to all students in Canada at all levels of study and to all teachers, and given prominence in Canadian history texts,” the TRC report noted.

Calling the issue “clear, urgent, important and persistent,” the TRC recommendations have put the teaching of history and its value at the forefront. Are the stakeholders involved up to the task?

While all provinces require students to learn about some aboriginal history at some point, just how much this happens is an open question, particularly at the high-school level.

In education, curriculum is partly aspirational – and what actually gets taught often comes down to choices made by teachers, and this is especially so in history where there are so many topics to cover. Inevitably, some things get left behind.

The challenge is to ensure that the history of residential schools is being taught in meaningful ways that engage students and educate them about the past. The TRC report calls on provinces to investigate how much this is happening, but this will have to go beyond simply looking at curriculum.

Beyond education, there are NGOs trying to help. For two weeks in February, former prime minister Paul Martin’s Martin Aboriginal Education Initiative teamed up with the Free the Children to promote awareness and teaching of aboriginal history. This is great support.

Now is the time for educators to step up and see what they can do to be a part of a historic healing process, using the graces of history to do it. I urge all teachers and those who care about Canada and its past to read the TRC’s moving interim report, and then to make needed changes. In fact, high-school students should be reading excerpts from it, too.

As Mr. Justice Murray Sinclair, the TRC’s chair, wrote: “There is an opportunity now for Canadians to engage in this work, to make their own contributions to reconciliation, and to create new truths about our country.”

gerryh
+1
You planning on going back to school to get educated?

CDNBear
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

This is a good idea.

Yes it is, which is why I've been trying to educate you.
Quote:

Canadians need an aboriginal history lesson - The Globe and Mail

Something else, I've been saying for years.

MHz
+1
Perhaps the Churches involved should stop resisting the truth and cough up a big check. Course that means support for Gaza and the West Bank (for starters) conditions would also have to switch to supporting the abused over the abusers. Pigs will fly before our Gov ever takes that moral step forward.
Last edited by MHz; Feb 29th, 2012 at 04:13 PM..

CDNBear
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

Perhaps the Churches involved should stop resisting the truth and cough up a big check. Course that means support for Gaza and the West Bank (for starters) conditions would also have to switch to supportting the abused over the abusers. Pigs will fly before our Gov ever takes that moral step forward.

Dear gawd yer funny.

SLM
+5
#6  Top Rated Post

Perhaps the Churches involved should stop resisting the truth and cough up a big check. Course that means support for Gaza and the West Bank (for starters) conditions would also have to switch to supporting the abused over the abusers. Pigs will fly before our Gov ever takes that moral step forward.

Canadians. Need. An. Aboriginal. History. Lesson.

Yep, that's got Gaza and the West Bank written all over it.

MHz
Want to do a case by case study of how Israel treats children in those places and compare it to the rapes and killing that the Church did in Canad with the Governments approval?

CDNBear
+4

Want to do a case by case study of how Israel treats children in those places and compare it to the rapes and killing that the Church did in Canad with the Governments approval?

Sure, go start a thread on it.

SLM
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Be careful there, I predict Jim will be along any minute to ask you if you're a Forum Cop.

And we all know how he feels about cops.

Nope.

MHz
Can't say as I blame you, do you have an 'estimate' on what the outcome would be, 'similar' or 'not similar'?

CDNBear
+1

Can't say as I blame you, do you have an 'estimate' on what the outcome would be, 'similar' or 'not similar'?

Is English to hard for you to comprehend?

Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

SLM
+1
I'm a patient gal by anybody's standards but how about only one obsessive-complusive, laser focused diatribe on an entire ethnic group per thread, please.

MHz
Do you always get what you wish for? Why comment if you aren't prepared to answer? Palestinians aren't an ethnic people, they belong to a country.

karrie
+5
Thumbs down for highjacking a thread.

The Old Medic
It was written Government policy, right through the Teudeau administration, to eliminate all Native bands and tribes, and force them to assimilate into the "greater population". Pierre Elliot himself wrote an infamous "White paper" calling for all tribes and bands to be abolished, all reserves to be eliminated and all natives to either adopt the "white culture" or essentially be left to die out. That was LITERALLY the goal, the total and complete elimination of all Indians as a distinct people.

Canada has been cited, REPEATEDLY, by the United Nations Human Rights Commission, for its mal-treatment of its native peoples. It continues to do exactly what it has ALWAYS done, to treat them as something sub-human.

You complain about what the Churches did? Well, if the government had not forced all Native children into those programs, the abuse would never have happened in the first place.

It is about time that the government of Canada leave the 16th century, and come into the 21st century , when it come to the treatment of all of its indigenous peoples,. the Indians, the Inuit and the Métis..

karrie
+4
That's all well and good Medic, but what's the right path? Integration is considered abuse, segregation is considered abuse. No one can move in any direction without being called on it, except for the First Nations, and they don't seem to care to. What's the cure? I know all the history, and still all I see is an impasse.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by The Old MedicView Post

Canada has been cited, REPEATEDLY, by the United Nations Human Rights Commission, for its mal-treatment of its native peoples.

Is that the same human rights Commission/Council that Egypt, China, Libya, Uganda and Pakistan have all sat on?

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

That's all well and good Medic, but what's the right path? Integration is considered abuse, segregation is considered abuse. No one can move in any direction without being called on it, except for the First Nations, and they don't seem to care to. What's the cure? I know all the history, and still all I see is an impasse.

I don't know that it's a 'cure' per se, but I can't help but think that if everyone had the history, the true history (the good, the bad, the ugly and all points in between) we might at least have some hope somewhere down the line. It all may just begin with understanding and no one can understand without the knowledge. But maybe I'm naive to think that way.

taxslave
+1

Thumbs down for highjacking a thread.

There is always a lefty with an agenda. Generally not relevant to what ever is happening at the time.

Somehow I get the feeling that if more Canadians knew about the history of their country and what was done in the name of the king and church there would be a lot more people that would want to sever any ties with jolly old england.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Somehow I get the feeling that if more Canadians knew about the history of their country and what was done in the name of the king and church there would be a lot more people that would want to sever any ties with jolly old england.

Or maybe they'd just "get it" instead of buying into every dramatic headline. Or thread. Just saying.

MHz

Elevate them to an equivalent to 'monarch status' in a symbolic way that gives them a world tour rather than a squalid piece of dirt that can't even support the people sent there to live. How much have we made off the land that used to be theirs. lots compared to the few scrapes we allowed them to have

Durry
Canadians should be given the correct history lesson about what it was REALLY like for the natives to live in their tribes before the whiteman came. We all should be told the real hidden history, not only the side the natives want us to hear.
This should be done before we lose more of those who know the REAL history!!

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

Canadians should be given the correct history lesson about what it was REALLY like for the natives to live in their tribes before the whiteman came. We all should be told the real hidden history, not only the side the natives want us to hear.
This should be done before we lose more of those who know the REAL history!!

Why don't you enlighten us as to what the "real" history is oh wise one.

shadowshiv
+1
Some Canadians moreso than others it appears.

dumpthemonarchy

Integration of aboriginals is not just called abuse but genocide, which is completely wrong. Or more accurately, "cultural genocide". Genocide is murder, if you're not murdering with violence, then it's not genocide.

In the old days, like much of the 20th century, when women had a black eye, they "fell". The police didn't care their husband beat them. Indians got treated about the same by the govt. Now the situation is different and violence against any member of society is forbidden. Now women can work, vote, and own property. Now Indians can do two of those three, they have to get the right to own property on their reserve to become independent. Which is what many Indians support. This is called progress.