Rich People are Cheaters

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Rich people less ethical, more likely to cheat, study says | CTV News

"MONTREAL — A new study says rich people are more likely to engage in unethical behaviour than their poorer counterparts -- like cutting off motorists, lying in a negotiation and cheating to win a prize....
...In another series of tests involving undergraduate students and adults, researchers found that those who considered themselves "upper class" were more likely to take valued items from others -- including candy, even after they were told that whatever was left over would be given to children.
Others exhibited a greater willingness to lie during negotiations and cheat to increase their chances of winning a prize."

We should set up a government department to protect Canadians from rich people.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I wonder how much research it took for some whiz kid to come up with that brilliant conclusion!!! Did the compiler interview all the poor people in jail who tried it? By the same token many rich people got that way thought hard work, thrift and wise spending habits. It's a NON news story.

Having balls is a good thing.

If you're male, fairly necessary too. :lol:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The authors of the study said the differences in ethical behavior can be explained, at least in part, by the upper-class participants' more favourable attitude toward greed.

"We found a trend that upper-class individuals -- people that have the most money, the most income, the best education and the most prestigious job -- have a tendency to engage in less ethical behaviour," said Stephane Cote, associate professor of organisational behaviour and psychology at the University of Toronto's Rotman School of Management.

"This doesn't mean that every rich person will behave less ethically than any less-rich person... But we found a tendency. So if you look across people in a variety of settings, the higher-class people tend to engage in more unethical behaviour."

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The authors of the study said the differences in ethical behavior can be explained, at least in part, by the upper-class participants' more favourable attitude toward greed.

"We found a trend that upper-class individuals -- people that have the most money, the most income, the best education and the most prestigious job -- have a tendency to engage in less ethical behaviour," said Stephane Cote, associate professor of organisational behaviour and psychology at the University of Toronto's Rotman School of Management.

"This doesn't mean that every rich person will behave less ethically than any less-rich person... But we found a tendency. So if you look across people in a variety of settings, the higher-class people tend to engage in more unethical behaviour."

I added the bold. Again, it's a tendency and not surprising, but we must acknowledge the exceptions.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

I view it that any person who becomes rich has a higher chance of becoming unethical. Greed IS a powerful motivator.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
And it seems you manage quite well yourself.

You're confused. I have em. That's why CB is so intimidated. I don't bend over to the man.

But as a Canadian, I take full responsibility for CB's (and every other disadvantaged Canadian's) testosterone deficiency.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Where is the 'old study' that said anything different? The new report just confirms what the old report concluded and that SFA has been done to change it. lol at least get the deception right.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Some rich people are cheaters and many have been held in high esteem for years, that being said
there are all kinds of rich people who wouldn't dream of cheating anyone out of anything. This is a
real stretch for a generalization here. What is the percentage of desperate poor people who would
be tempted to cheat the system for survival? I usually refer to the old six percent rule that was
established decades ago. It was estimated that about six percent of people would cheat on the
unemployment insurance, and later someone did a study saying that six percent would cheat on
taxes, welfare and so on. I think it is from the mid or late sixties.
I don't think all rich people cheat, they just have better ideas for making money. Also you will find
that education leaves more opportunities for people to know and take advantage of money making
avenues.
It all comes down to luck, and luck is nothing more than a person being prepared to take advantage
of an opportunity that comes their way. That happens through education or related experience.
Related experience and personal preparation puts you in the right place at the right time to take
advantage of an opportunity.