Rich People are Cheaters

Cannuck
Rich people less ethical, more likely to cheat, study says | CTV News

"MONTREAL A new study says rich people are more likely to engage in unethical behaviour than their poorer counterparts -- like cutting off motorists, lying in a negotiation and cheating to win a prize....
...In another series of tests involving undergraduate students and adults, researchers found that those who considered themselves "upper class" were more likely to take valued items from others -- including candy, even after they were told that whatever was left over would be given to children.
Others exhibited a greater willingness to lie during negotiations and cheat to increase their chances of winning a prize."

We should set up a government department to protect Canadians from rich people.

mentalfloss

petros
Quote:

A new study says rich people are more likely to engage in unethical behaviour than their poorer counterparts

Having balls is a good thing.

JLM
I wonder how much research it took for some whiz kid to come up with that brilliant conclusion!!! Did the compiler interview all the poor people in jail who tried it? By the same token many rich people got that way thought hard work, thrift and wise spending habits. It's a NON news story.

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

If you're male, fairly necessary too.

IdRatherBeSkiing
cause and effect?

Cannuck
+1 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

IIf you're male, fairly necessary too.

Not really. CB manages to get by.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

And it seems you manage quite well yourself.

Elder
+2
#8  Top Rated Post
And we did not already know this?

Machjo
+2

Not if it means disrespecting the law at the expense of others. Trying to change the law is fine, but not breaking it even when you disagree with it. It's a part of citizenship.

mentalfloss
The authors of the study said the differences in ethical behavior can be explained, at least in part, by the upper-class participants' more favourable attitude toward greed.

"We found a trend that upper-class individuals -- people that have the most money, the most income, the best education and the most prestigious job -- have a tendency to engage in less ethical behaviour," said Stephane Cote, associate professor of organisational behaviour and psychology at the University of Toronto's Rotman School of Management.

"This doesn't mean that every rich person will behave less ethically than any less-rich person... But we found a tendency. So if you look across people in a variety of settings, the higher-class people tend to engage in more unethical behaviour."

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

The authors of the study said the differences in ethical behavior can be explained, at least in part, by the upper-class participants' more favourable attitude toward greed.

"We found a trend that upper-class individuals -- people that have the most money, the most income, the best education and the most prestigious job -- have a tendency to engage in less ethical behaviour," said Stephane Cote, associate professor of organisational behaviour and psychology at the University of Toronto's Rotman School of Management.

"This doesn't mean that every rich person will behave less ethically than any less-rich person... But we found a tendency. So if you look across people in a variety of settings, the higher-class people tend to engage in more unethical behaviour."

I added the bold. Again, it's a tendency and not surprising, but we must acknowledge the exceptions.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

I added the bold. Again, it's a tendency and not surprising, but we must acknowledge the exceptions.

Exceptions acknowledged.

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

I view it that any person who becomes rich has a higher chance of becoming unethical. Greed IS a powerful motivator.

lone wolf
That could be.... They're the ones who can most afford to play in the first place. Given an equal start line, the measure would be quite different

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

And it seems you manage quite well yourself.

You're confused. I have em. That's why CB is so intimidated. I don't bend over to the man.

But as a Canadian, I take full responsibility for CB's (and every other disadvantaged Canadian's) testosterone deficiency.

petros
+1
You can ride the bench or you can get out and play the game. Life isn't parks league.

MHz
Where is the 'old study' that said anything different? The new report just confirms what the old report concluded and that SFA has been done to change it. lol at least get the deception right.

damngrumpy
+1
Some rich people are cheaters and many have been held in high esteem for years, that being said
there are all kinds of rich people who wouldn't dream of cheating anyone out of anything. This is a
real stretch for a generalization here. What is the percentage of desperate poor people who would
be tempted to cheat the system for survival? I usually refer to the old six percent rule that was
established decades ago. It was estimated that about six percent of people would cheat on the
unemployment insurance, and later someone did a study saying that six percent would cheat on
taxes, welfare and so on. I think it is from the mid or late sixties.
I don't think all rich people cheat, they just have better ideas for making money. Also you will find
that education leaves more opportunities for people to know and take advantage of money making
avenues.
It all comes down to luck, and luck is nothing more than a person being prepared to take advantage
of an opportunity that comes their way. That happens through education or related experience.
Related experience and personal preparation puts you in the right place at the right time to take
advantage of an opportunity.

petros
By cheating do you mean manipulating the law or breaking the law?

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

This is a real stretch for a generalization here. .

True but the rich will commit crimes to get rich or hold onto their riches, the same cannot be said for the poor, nobody ever cheats to become more poor than anybody around him.

lone wolf
I keep thinking of a spoiled brat cousin who cheated at every game we played, bought exam answers through Coles Notes and has been through six divorces - all on adultery - and he's now in the upper end of RBC

damngrumpy
There are all kinds of cases where people who are jerks get rich that is a given. I didn't say that all
rich people are nice people. I said not all are crooks or cheats. Now do they find legal ways to get
past the loopholes to hold onto wealth? Yes of course they do, but legal loopholes are the fault of
governments who are incompetent. Using loopholes is not cheating its taking advantage of the law
as it exists. I only wish I had some serious wealth to protect and legally nurture.
I know of two or three people who cheated and scammed their way to the top like most of us but not
all are cheats. Some of the finest people I know are quite wealthy and they are not cheats. yes to
say they all are is a generalization and generalizations are based on observations in our immediate
environment and may well have nothing to do with fact.

petros
It's about ability to take calculated risks. For the cost of a pint a day, and a few hours hard research, you can sponsor yourself and an African kid into a good life. P.S. The tax credits are nice.

Cliffy

You can ride the bench or you can get out and play the game. Life isn't parks league.

Or you find the game repugnant and walk away from it.

Colpy
DUH!!!!!

This is not news.

Some 2,000 years ago a person of some importance observed "It is easier for a camel to go through the Eye of the Needle than it is for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven"

MHz
That just means you can't bring any suitcases, lol

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

That just means you can't bring any suitcases, lol

Hahaha! You funny!

CDNBear

You're confused. I have em. That's why CB is so intimidated. I don't bend over to the man.

But as a Canadian, I take full responsibility for CB's (and every other disadvantaged Canadian's) testosterone deficiency.

Your fixation with my genitalia, and your homophobic insinuations, are funny.

You should probably get out more.

L Gilbert
+1
"Rich people less ethical, more likely to cheat, study says | CTV News"

Old news. I remember reading studies about it years ago. Also studies suggesting that most people would cheat if they are sure they'd get away with it as well as some studies saying most people would cheat if they thought most others approved of cheating.

Tonington
Her hourly wage works out to be 85 cents an hour.
FEBRUARY 29--A New York woman who lives in a 34-room, 30,000-square-foot mansion is facing a federal criminal charge related to her employment of an illegal alien who allegedly served as a domestic servant in a “forced labor situation” that included her working 17-hour days, seven days a week, and sleeping in a walk-in closet.
Feds Arrest Mansion Dweller In Servant Case | The Smoking Gun (external - login to view)