Talk to the Indians, not the chiefs

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
A letter writer from the North Shore News. He wants reform by ending the gravy train.

Talk to the Indians, not to the chiefs

By William J. Nahanee (Kwel-a-a-nexw), North Shore News January 25, 2012

Dear Editor:

Regarding the appalling stories about living conditions on many Indian reserves across Canada: The problem started historically with the discriminatory Indian Act. The federal government, through Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada, control the political daily lives of our people. This started in the 1860s. Indian agents may have been replaced by band councils. What still remains, however, are the same old disreputable policies: policies that were formulated in the past by people with egotistical colonialist attitudes, and over the ensuing years have been enforced by whatever means deemed necessary by those in control.

Band councils with the approval of the AANDC exercise "carte blanche" powers on reserves. However, a governing structure, without accountability and no financial transparency can lead to all types of negative situations from nepotism to the squandering of the peoples' assets.

Recently the Squamish Band Council closed band offices from Dec. 16 to Jan. 3. Four hundred and fifty employees were off for 10 working days with full pay. The average daily wage paid per employee is approximately $100. As a bonus, employees also received $100 in gift cards. That's $495,000 for a big zero of productivity. This habit of giving oneself Christmas bonuses has been happening for at least 10 to 15 years.

Perhaps this is what the federal government wants: self-serving governments on Indian reserves maintaining a standard of inequality, no financial accountability and no financial transparency. The federal government needs to establish a meaningful dialogue with the general membership at the grassroots level to deal with decades of unresolved issues on Indian Reserves.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I've only been saying the same thing for years!

That must be the agenda and propaganda Jimmy accuses me of.

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You were given your answer.
Nope. You've never answered the question, what is my agenda, or the propaganda, you accuse me of.

I'm sure your admitted stupidity, is likely the cause of your confusion. But it could be something more serious. You should see a Doctor.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
A letter writer from the North Shore News. He wants reform by ending the gravy train.

By William J. Nahanee (Kwel-a-a-nexw), North Shore News January 25, 2012

Dear Editor:

Regarding the appalling stories about living conditions on many Indian reserves across Canada: The problem started historically with the discriminatory Indian Act. The federal government, through Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada, control the political daily lives of our people. This started in the 1860s. Indian agents may have been replaced by band councils. What still remains, however, are the same old disreputable policies: policies that were formulated in the past by people with egotistical colonialist attitudes, and over the ensuing years have been enforced by whatever means deemed necessary by those in control.

Band councils with the approval of the AANDC exercise "carte blanche" powers on reserves. However, a governing structure, without accountability and no financial transparency can lead to all types of negative situations from nepotism to the squandering of the peoples' assets.

Recently the Squamish Band Council closed band offices from Dec. 16 to Jan. 3. Four hundred and fifty employees were off for 10 working days with full pay. The average daily wage paid per employee is approximately $100. As a bonus, employees also received $100 in gift cards. That's $495,000 for a big zero of productivity. This habit of giving oneself Christmas bonuses has been happening for at least 10 to 15 years.

Perhaps this is what the federal government wants: self-serving governments on Indian reserves maintaining a standard of inequality, no financial accountability and no financial transparency. The federal government needs to establish a meaningful dialogue with the general membership at the grassroots level to deal with decades of unresolved issues on Indian Reserves.

So you think inflicting a larger version of gov't (vis a vis assimilating them into "regular" Canadian society) on natives is the answer? Idiot.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
So you say, why don't you actually prove it, and repost it.

That would require me taking the time to hunt for it. This really isn't that important to me. If it matters to you, feel free to search for it yourself. Clearly you take this stuff more seriously than I do.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

"Recently the Squamish Band Council closed band offices from Dec. 16 to Jan. 3. Four hundred and fifty employees were off for 10 working days with full pay. The average daily wage paid per employee is approximately $100. As a bonus, employees also received $100 in gift cards. That's $495,000 for a big zero of productivity. This habit of giving oneself Christmas bonuses has been happening for at least 10 to 15 years."

This very thing happens in scads of work places- people save their holidays for it, some take off O.T. in time they've accumulated and many of them earn far more than $100 a day, many employers give staff Xmas bonuses for production beyond expectations - some as much as $500. Why is First Nations being questioned about this fairly common practice? Again is the main complaint about the activity or the ethnicity of the participants? :smile:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Again is the main complaint about the activity or the ethnicity of the participants? :smile:

I think the main complaint from the writer of the letter was...

This is a problem regardless of the race of the individuals. Or do you disagree?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That would require me taking the time to hunt for it.
You mean the 50 minute absence was just a coincidence?

LOL.

I'm not surprised you couldn't find anything, you've never supported your claim with some facts.

Just more of your dishonesty.

This really isn't that important to me.
So you say. The contents of your posts, say otherwise.

If it matters to you, feel free to search for it yourself.
It doesn't, I just like having a little fun with you blow hards.

Clearly you take this stuff more seriously than I do.
Your admitted stupidity is still retarding your perception skills.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
You mean the 20 minute absence was just a coincidence?

I am very flattered that you take the time to track when I'm here and when I'm not. I must be very important to you. You should know that the feeling is not mutual. When it comes to your CC activities, I really don't give you a second thought.

As for your "coincidence", if you must know, it's 5-ish here (I know the concept of time zones may be a bit much for you). That means I'm making supper. I must apologize again. My supper is more important to me than you as well.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I must be very important to you.
You are, in a fun way, the most entertaining blow hard on the board.

Your admitted stupidity obviously caused you to grasp that, the dozen of so times I've clearly explained that to you.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I'm heading out right now. I'm not sure when I'll be back. Just thought you should know, seeing as it matters so much to you. TTYL

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm heading out right now. I'm not sure when I'll be back. Just thought you should know, seeing as it matters so much to you. TTYL
Darn that's a shame. I find admittedly stupid people like you so much fun to play with.

Have fun, I hope the break from the net, helps you gain some of your sense back.

Last edited: