Talk to the Indians, not the chiefs

dumpthemonarchy
A letter writer from the North Shore News. He wants reform by ending the gravy train.

Talk to the Indians, not to the chiefs (external - login to view)

Talk to the Indians, not to the chiefs

By William J. Nahanee (Kwel-a-a-nexw), North Shore News January 25, 2012

Dear Editor:

Regarding the appalling stories about living conditions on many Indian reserves across Canada: The problem started historically with the discriminatory Indian Act. The federal government, through Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada, control the political daily lives of our people. This started in the 1860s. Indian agents may have been replaced by band councils. What still remains, however, are the same old disreputable policies: policies that were formulated in the past by people with egotistical colonialist attitudes, and over the ensuing years have been enforced by whatever means deemed necessary by those in control.

Band councils with the approval of the AANDC exercise "carte blanche" powers on reserves. However, a governing structure, without accountability and no financial transparency can lead to all types of negative situations from nepotism to the squandering of the peoples' assets.

Recently the Squamish Band Council closed band offices from Dec. 16 to Jan. 3. Four hundred and fifty employees were off for 10 working days with full pay. The average daily wage paid per employee is approximately $100. As a bonus, employees also received $100 in gift cards. That's $495,000 for a big zero of productivity. This habit of giving oneself Christmas bonuses has been happening for at least 10 to 15 years.

Perhaps this is what the federal government wants: self-serving governments on Indian reserves maintaining a standard of inequality, no financial accountability and no financial transparency. The federal government needs to establish a meaningful dialogue with the general membership at the grassroots level to deal with decades of unresolved issues on Indian Reserves.

CDNBear
+2
#2  Top Rated Post
I've only been saying the same thing for years!

That must be the agenda and propaganda Jimmy accuses me of.
Last edited by CDNBear; Feb 23rd, 2012 at 05:35 PM..

SLM
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

I've only been saying the same thing for years!

That must be the agenda and propaganda Jimmy accuses me of.

Is that what it is?

Geez, I only asked 4 days ago, and I still haven't heard.

CDNBear
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Is that what it is?

Could be.

Quote:

Geez, I only asked 4 days ago, and I still haven't heard.

I've asked at least a dozen times, and waited for months.

I'm still waiting.

SLM

Could be.

I'm still waiting.

We can wait together then.

Wanna play cards?

CDNBear
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

We can wait together then.

Wanna play cards?

Sure, just let me throw some popcorn in the microwave.

Cannuck

Could be.

I'm still waiting.

You were given your answer. You just didn't like it.

CDNBear
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

You were given your answer.

Nope. You've never answered the question, what is my agenda, or the propaganda, you accuse me of.

I'm sure your admitted stupidity, is likely the cause of your confusion. But it could be something more serious. You should see a Doctor.

Cannuck

Nope. You've never answered the question, what is my agenda, or the propaganda, you accuse me of.

Of course I did. You should really see a doctor about your issues.

CDNBear
+1

Of course I did.

So you say, why don't you actually prove it, and repost it.

Until then, you're just a blow hard.

L Gilbert
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

A letter writer from the North Shore News. He wants reform by ending the gravy train.

Talk to the Indians, not to the chiefs (external - login to view)

Talk to the Indians, not to the chiefs

By William J. Nahanee (Kwel-a-a-nexw), North Shore News January 25, 2012

Dear Editor:

Regarding the appalling stories about living conditions on many Indian reserves across Canada: The problem started historically with the discriminatory Indian Act. The federal government, through Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada, control the political daily lives of our people. This started in the 1860s. Indian agents may have been replaced by band councils. What still remains, however, are the same old disreputable policies: policies that were formulated in the past by people with egotistical colonialist attitudes, and over the ensuing years have been enforced by whatever means deemed necessary by those in control.

Band councils with the approval of the AANDC exercise "carte blanche" powers on reserves. However, a governing structure, without accountability and no financial transparency can lead to all types of negative situations from nepotism to the squandering of the peoples' assets.

Recently the Squamish Band Council closed band offices from Dec. 16 to Jan. 3. Four hundred and fifty employees were off for 10 working days with full pay. The average daily wage paid per employee is approximately $100. As a bonus, employees also received $100 in gift cards. That's $495,000 for a big zero of productivity. This habit of giving oneself Christmas bonuses has been happening for at least 10 to 15 years.

Perhaps this is what the federal government wants: self-serving governments on Indian reserves maintaining a standard of inequality, no financial accountability and no financial transparency. The federal government needs to establish a meaningful dialogue with the general membership at the grassroots level to deal with decades of unresolved issues on Indian Reserves.

So you think inflicting a larger version of gov't (vis a vis assimilating them into "regular" Canadian society) on natives is the answer? Idiot.

Cannuck

So you say, why don't you actually prove it, and repost it.

That would require me taking the time to hunt for it. This really isn't that important to me. If it matters to you, feel free to search for it yourself. Clearly you take this stuff more seriously than I do.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

"Recently the Squamish Band Council closed band offices from Dec. 16 to Jan. 3. Four hundred and fifty employees were off for 10 working days with full pay. The average daily wage paid per employee is approximately $100. As a bonus, employees also received $100 in gift cards. That's $495,000 for a big zero of productivity. This habit of giving oneself Christmas bonuses has been happening for at least 10 to 15 years."

This very thing happens in scads of work places- people save their holidays for it, some take off O.T. in time they've accumulated and many of them earn far more than $100 a day, many employers give staff Xmas bonuses for production beyond expectations - some as much as $500. Why is First Nations being questioned about this fairly common practice? Again is the main complaint about the activity or the ethnicity of the participants?

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Again is the main complaint about the activity or the ethnicity of the participants?

I think the main complaint from the writer of the letter was...

Quote:

This is a problem regardless of the race of the individuals. Or do you disagree?

CDNBear

That would require me taking the time to hunt for it.

You mean the 50 minute absence was just a coincidence?

LOL.

I'm not surprised you couldn't find anything, you've never supported your claim with some facts.

Just more of your dishonesty.

Quote:

This really isn't that important to me.

So you say. The contents of your posts, say otherwise.

Quote:

If it matters to you, feel free to search for it yourself.

It doesn't, I just like having a little fun with you blow hards.

Quote:

Clearly you take this stuff more seriously than I do.

Your admitted stupidity is still retarding your perception skills.

Cannuck

You mean the 20 minute absence was just a coincidence?

I am very flattered that you take the time to track when I'm here and when I'm not. I must be very important to you. You should know that the feeling is not mutual. When it comes to your CC activities, I really don't give you a second thought.

As for your "coincidence", if you must know, it's 5-ish here (I know the concept of time zones may be a bit much for you). That means I'm making supper. I must apologize again. My supper is more important to me than you as well.

CDNBear

I must be very important to you.

You are, in a fun way, the most entertaining blow hard on the board.

Your admitted stupidity obviously caused you to grasp that, the dozen of so times I've clearly explained that to you.

Cannuck
I'm heading out right now. I'm not sure when I'll be back. Just thought you should know, seeing as it matters so much to you. TTYL

CDNBear

I'm heading out right now. I'm not sure when I'll be back. Just thought you should know, seeing as it matters so much to you. TTYL

Darn that's a shame. I find admittedly stupid people like you so much fun to play with.

Have fun, I hope the break from the net, helps you gain some of your sense back.
Last edited by CDNBear; Feb 23rd, 2012 at 07:39 PM..

DaSleeper
+2

Darn that's a shame. I find admittedly stupid people like you so much fun to play with.

Have fun, I hope the break from the net, helps you gain some of your sense back.

I see the batteries on your laser beam is still working??

CDNBear
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

I see the batteries on your laser beam is still working??

Batteries? I rigged it up to the weed eater motor.

Elder
+1
Invading explorer named the First People "indian" because the dolt thought he was in India. Our aboriginal people are NOT indians.

damngrumpy
+1
Dumpthemonarchy has the Indian question of the week didn't you know that?
This is another one of those negative discussions that poses as questioning
a legitimate situation. If you look at what is written about its no more or less of
a problem that is happening in society as a whole.
Most of the native population does not trust the main stream media or the rest
of their fellow citizens and I for one don't blame them. The governments and
the commissions of the past have never lived up to their word on much of
anything.
I think the other problem many people have is that society in general wants to
see a governing system that is just like theirs and the governing system that is
familiar to the natives is much different and always has been. It would be like
asking Canadians to accept the governing system of say, Saudi Arabia, and
that would not meet with the approval of Canadians here.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by ElderView Post

Invading explorer named the First People "indian" because the dolt thought he was in India. Our aboriginal people are NOT indians.

Hi Elder, nice to see you. Canada's aboriginal people, of whom I know quite a few are mixed about what they prefer to be called. Some insist on Indian, some Indigenous, some aboriginal and some First Nations. I have heard that First Nations holds no legal standing in international law, so some do not like its use. I have also heard that Aboriginal sounds too much like abnormal. I don't think anybody has a problem with indigenous though.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by ElderView Post

That same "dolt" also proved the world was round. Actually they are "Indians", just as valid as the ones in India, as the ones dubbed "Indians" lived in the West Indies!

The Old Medic
This COULD be a serious problem, on some reserves. BUT, on many, the council is elected, and they work at the whim of their voters, just as any other political body does.

This is a letter to the EDITOR. Has anyone verified that the charges made are true? Has anyone made any attempt to contact the band, and find out what is going on?

Hell no, it's so much easier to just believe whatever fits YOUR prejudices (as CDN Bear has done on this, and so many other topics), and never bother to verify anything at all.

It's about time that the Federal government get out of running the lives of Indians. Let them self-govern to the maximum extent possible, and let them do simple things such as:

1. Determine who is, and who is NOT an Indian

2. Determine who is, and who is NOT a Member of their Tribe and/or Band.

3. Take the money provided by the government, and utilize it for the betterment of the entire tribe/band, instead of following whatever policies the government decides are necessary.

4. Take charge of the educational system on the reserves, with the ability to hire and fire teachers (with NO Unions allowed) for failure to teach, for inability to know the subjects they are teaching, and for failure to pass periodic competency tests.

5. Set up tribal/band constitutions, that spell out who is/is not allowed to vote in any tribal/band election; who is/is not allowed to hold office; what procedures must be utilized to recall any elected official; strict anti-nepotism rules; and placing all pay and benefits improvements subject to approval of the voters at the next election before any such raise, etc. can take effect.

6. The Federal government should provide that all Reserves are Sovereign lands, with the right to police themselves, and anyone else that comes onto tribal lands. This includes traffic regulation, criminal offenses, etc.

7. That reserves are exempt from ALL Provincial laws, only falling under the Federal laws that specifically impact them. That only Courts of Appeal may hear any case decided in a tribal court, and ONLY can rule on matters of law, never on jurisdiction.

8. That any contracts signed with NON-Reserve entities shall be governed by Federal Contract Law (this eliminates the concept of them making contracts, and then interpreting them in the light most favorable to themselves). But, all such contracts that meet Federal standards are enforceable (which helps to limit those who want to rip off the Indians). ALL Federal Pollution Laws/Controls are MANDATORY!

9. Any gambling that is allowed on a reserve WILL be subject to specific Federal gambling taxes (but NOT Provincial ones), but those taxes can never be more than 20% of the NET proceeds. Any dispute between a gambler and the tribe/band must be settled by arbitration, with one arbitrator selected by each party to the dispute, and one from a pool of Federally approved arbitrators. (That way, if someone is denied a huge payout, an independent body that is NOT beholden to anyone can resolve the dispute. Or, if someone gambles a lot of money on a "Marker", and then refuses to pay up, the tribe/band can get their money.)

Set up such a system, and in about 25-35 years, you will have largely self-sustaining Indian Reserves. You would have much better educated Natives, as they would see to it that their schools did the job, or they would fire a lot of the substandard crap teachers they currently have.

In about 35-50 years, the Reserves would become economic powerhouses. They would help drive prosperity in every area where they are located. They would be hiring a LOT of people from outside the reserves, which would benefit the local areas a lot (and bring people into some sparsely settled areas too.

So CDNBear, how about backing something like this?
They CAN manage alcohol sales, etc. Let them police their own, and with the rights would also come the responsibility. I would be willing to bet that under such a system

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by The Old MedicView Post

Hell no, it's so much easier to just believe whatever fits YOUR prejudices (as CDN Bear has done on this, and so many other topics), and never bother to verify anything at all.

Maybe you should start by figuring out what team I'm on. Then learn how to read.

But since you ask. Look up...

Tony Belcourt.
James Gabriel.
Chief Joseph Dedam.

To name a few that just popped into my head.

Quote: Originally Posted by The Old MedicView Post

So CDNBear, how about backing something like this?

I agree with some of you suggestions. But like I said, you need to learn how to read. You're barking up the wrong tree.

gerryh
+1

Maybe you should start by figuring out what team I'm on. Then learn how to read.

But since you ask. Look up...

Tony Belcourt.
James Gabriel.
Chief Joseph Dedam.

To name a few that just popped into my head.

I agree with some of you suggestions. But like I said, you need to learn how to read. You're barking up the wrong tree.

Comprehension and intelligence are holding medic back.

and btw.....I won't be discussing native issues for a bit. I am toooooooooooooooooooooooooooo pissed at the kwantlen first nations right now.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Comprehension and intelligence are holding medic back.

Apparently. It's almost as if he's confusing me for the dumpster and Jimmy.

Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

and btw.....I won't be discussing native issues for a bit. I am toooooooooooooooooooooooooooo pissed at the kwantlen first nations right now.

Mind filling me in?

gerryh
+1
long story, suffice it to say that it REALLY pisses me off when hypicrites rear their ugly head.

White woman, married to Native man, living on reserve..... just take a wild guess who is the one being mistreated.