Talk to the Indians, not the chiefs

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

long story, suffice it to say that it REALLY pisses me off when hypicrites rear their ugly head.

White woman, married to Native man, living on reserve..... just take a wild guess who is the one being mistreated.

Is this a news item?

Do you have a link I can read?

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Is this a news item?

Do you have a link I can read?

No, it is not a news item, it is personal....family.

captain morgan
Sorry to hear that.

L Gilbert
+2
Wifey is ok with being called "aboriginal" or "native". She doesn't like "indigenous" because she was born Anishinaabe in northern Manitoba, not in a BC clan. "First Nations" is a misnomer. Remains of Clovis people are older than the oldest remains of "First Nations" people (found so far) and the Clovis people came from what is now northern France. Also, it's undecided whether people came here from Siberia, South America, over an ice bridge from Europe to Greenland to here, or from Asia. She thinks it doesn't really matter in the big picture because as far back as has been traced, modern homo sapiens came from southeast Africa some 250,000 years ago.

Elder
Friend Cat Thunder, BC Vancouver coastal native, states this when asked what title he prefers:

‎1st Nations now we are label as 1st Nations.Columbus made a wrong directions and thought he was in India.That's when he called us Indians.

A Cree (plains) friend from Winnipeg told me that the Indian word to them is like the nig... word to those of African descent. He says since I am a white woman (includes white men) I am not allowed to use it as it is demeaning; however, he can apply the term to another native but it is still considered somewhat derogatory.

Apparently in the US most vaguely accept the widely used label of Native American though, essentially, all tribes are N. American due to the fact that they live on the North American continent. I have native blood going back to 16th century as a male anscestor wed a native lady. There is also some black from mother's side for her father was part, or whole, from England and is of Carribean descent.

I do not think pure original genetic lines exist anywhere anymore in any race throughout the world. Each tribe in N. America has their own preference and seem to resist being clumped together as one.

Let the people select their own name/label and then we honour each choice whatever it may be. Preferences will alter radically with each individual across Canada and US.

SOMEWHAT OFF TOPIC: Myself? I suppose I am a mutt! or just plain Canadian 300+ years of generations. Many of our anscestor in 19th and 20th centuries crossed back and forth to and from the States back to Canada so we have relatives all over N. America. Essentially we are ALL North Americans. I am the product of many races: native/english/french/black and these are the only ones we know about. One brother, a US marine, was in the sights of a rifle when he naively crossed a bridge in Alabama in the late 1960s. He was out of uniform with dark, mahogany black skin after a year in Vietnam. He came close to being executed for crossing over onto the white side of the river. Fortunately the murderous bigot noticed, through the rifle sight, that Phil's eyes were startling bright blue so he hesitated and brother lives on to this day. That fellow told my bro how close he came to being killed; he, the shooter, thought it was hilarious. Bro never went back to Georgia again.

dumpthemonarchy
If you say you're North American, aren't you really saying you're white? Your North America means Canada and the USA here, two countries that are mainly white.

Is the Carribean part of North America?

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

If you say you're North American, aren't you really saying you're white? Your North America means Canada and the USA here, two countries that are mainly white.

Yes, as is Mexico and a few others. Were you sick the day they taught that in school?

CDNBear
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Yes, as is Mexico and a few others. Were you sick the day they taught that in school?

Oh oh, the honeymoon's over.

dumpthemonarchy

Then if Mexico is part of North America, they are North Americans too. So Cubans and Fidel Castro are North Americans too. I've never heard of Mexicans or Cubans being referred to as North Americans in the media. Got any links so I can review my lessons on this tiopic?

Cannuck

Then if Mexico is part of North America, they are North Americans too. So Cubans and Fidel Castro are North Americans too. I've never heard of Mexicans or Cubans being referred to as North Americans in the media. Got any links so I can review my lessons on this tiopic?

List of sovereign states and dependent territories in North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

Do you not know how google works?

dumpthemonarchy

List of sovereign states and dependent territories in North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

Do you not know how google works?

And so does the atlas, as it has for many years. I forgot about Wiki and Google, they're new.

Yes of course, many facts are written, and they provide useful information. Then there are other facts we all know and understand in Canada and these are spoken on a daily basis many times. If you could find some leaders in Canada who call Cubans/Mexicans/Haitians/Nicraguans, "North Americans," that would be very helpful.

Cannuck

And so does the atlas, as it has for many years. I forgot about Wiki and Google, they're new.

Yes of course, many facts are written, and they provide useful information. Then there are other facts we all know and understand in Canada and these are spoken on a daily basis many times. If you could find some leaders in Canada who call Cubans/Mexicans/Haitians/Nicraguans, "North Americans," that would be very helpful.

Since you now know about wiki and google, perhaps you can search NAFTA. That stands for "North American Free Trade Agreement". That is an agreement the Canadian government entered into with Mexico so we know the federal government considers Mexico part of North America and they aren't even that smart.

dumpthemonarchy

Since you now know about wiki and google, perhaps you can search NAFTA. That stands for "North American Free Trade Agreement". That is an agreement the Canadian government entered into with Mexico so we know the federal government considers Mexico part of North America and they aren't even that smart.

Fed govts-Canada and USA, NAFTA, the atlas, and Wiki all say Mexico is part of North America. Must be according to the documents then. What is written is what it is. That's only a few sources though, not everyone all agrees with govt or biz, you don't have to in a democracy.

L Gilbert
+2

Fed govts-Canada and USA, NAFTA, the atlas, and Wiki all say Mexico is part of North America. Must be according to the documents then. What is written is what it is. That's only a few sources though, not everyone all agrees with govt or biz, you don't have to in a democracy.

Most people refer to the regions as opposed to the continent. Like Central America and the like. But Central America is not a continent for Pete's sake. Go take a geography course. I'd say about gr. 2 geography should fix you up..

North America -- National Geographic (external - login to view)

Jeeeez. And here I was thinking Americans were kinda ignorant of geography.

SLM
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Most people refer to the regions as opposed to the continent. Like Central America and the like. But Central America is not a continent for Pete's sake. Go take a geography course. I'd say about gr. 2 geography should fix you up..

But that flies in the face of the whole "North Americans are white" part of the hypothesis.

dumpthemonarchy
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

But that flies in the face of the whole "North Americans are white" part of the hypothesis.

Yeah, the white part, I also forgot about that too. We're very multicultural when it comes within Canada, and another country that is about the same. But when they-a nation, speak another language, and seem less, you know, not like us, then they seem on the outs with the North American business.

MHz
Since the people of the First Nations are protected by the same constitution as the rest of the Country when push comes to shove the citizens can demand a referendum on anything that comes before Paraliment. It doesn't take a pertition with very many voters signatures to make that call either. Obviously kicking them for 150 years after they gave up fighting (killing talking was not taken away) has not worked according to the original 'stated goal' (doesn't matter if they didn't intend to follow through, the paper treaties say the opposite and a UN Court would probably agree. Any court in Canada has a conflict of interest in treaty matters as they should be on the stand not behind the bench explaining to some international Judges just what the 'fine print' actually meant at the time of signing and if loopholes were intentionally inserted or not to be used later to gain an advantage at a later date, supported by the Court when the Court is actually a co-defendant as they didn't get clarity in those matters before the documents were signed (in good faith on the Indians part) Had they know what the next 150 years was actually going to be like they would never have given up after asking the people what they should do. and there is an alternative Court already in existence, the same one hearing the STL

If the world wasn't so ****ed up I would suggest doing the opposite, give them an unlimited credit card and take them off the Rez for a certain many months each year to travel and see how the rest of the world actually works, right from dinner with the Queens servants to seeing the backwood of all South American countries to see how it compares to 'home'. You can't lock them up and expect them to excel at anything. It it worked that way people woul be trying to get tossed into solitary because everybody gets smarter, it doesn't work that way. If we can spent $1B in security for a bunch of wealthy cats (pay their own way) then why not the same amount to make some kid capable of spontaneous laughter after we ****ed them over for as long as we have.
Last edited by MHz; Mar 1st, 2012 at 08:29 PM..

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

lol Yeah. North Americans speak mostly English, too, don'tcha know. Especially in Cuba, Guatemala, etc.

MHz
Don't i-phones come with translation programs yet?

Cannuck

...not everyone all agrees with govt or biz, you don't have to in a democracy.

Some people think Elvis is alive. Sure they're allowed to think whatever they like. That doesn't mean they aren't ****ing retarded.

MHz
The retards are the ones who helped him into an early grave. Mick is still in business imagine how far ahead Elvis would have been.

dumpthemonarchy
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

Since the people of the First Nations are protected by the same constitution as the rest of the Country when push comes to shove the citizens can demand a referendum on anything that comes before Paraliment. It doesn't take a pertition with very many voters signatures to make that call either. Obviously kicking them for 150 years after they gave up fighting (killing talking was not taken away) has not worked according to the original 'stated goal' (doesn't matter if they didn't intend to follow through, the paper treaties say the opposite and a UN Court would probably agree. Any court in Canada has a conflict of interest in treaty matters as they should be on the stand not behind the bench explaining to some international Judges just what the 'fine print' actually meant at the time of signing and if loopholes were intentionally inserted or not to be used later to gain an advantage at a later date, supported by the Court when the Court is actually a co-defendant as they didn't get clarity in those matters before the documents were signed (in good faith on the Indians part) Had they know what the next 150 years was actually going to be like they would never have given up after asking the people what they should do. and there is an alternative Court already in existence, the same one hearing the STL
If the world wasn't so ****ed up I would suggest doing the opposite, give them an unlimited credit card and take them off the Rez for a certain many months each year...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
First, it doesn't matter what the UN thinks on aboriginal affairs in Canada. Canadians taxpayers handle the problem, not UN taxpayers-who do not exist.

Indians had to sign treaties, because they were facing powers who forced them to. And over time, the people, countries, nations and circumstances changed drastically. Did the British know of Canada in the 18th and 19th centuries? No. So we are not bound by what was sgned and thought of centuries ago.

Aboriginals used to make their own houses in the wilderness, now they live in houses like us, and too many lack the money to properly maintain them. Can we go on buying them a new house when needed like is happening in Attawaspiskat? No.

It will take the public to get engaged on this subject to create real movement and change for the better. Be it a referendum or more discussions on the topic like here. Gotta start somewhere.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

The retards are the ones who helped him into an early grave.

Are you saying Elvis' pallbearers were retards?

dumpthemonarchy
Mexico is in Wiki's North America, you have a country in North America where its people, Mexicans, are not considered North Americans, not even by Mexicans.

L Gilbert
+1

Indians had to sign treaties, because they were facing powers who forced them to.

That's an assumption.
Quote:

Did the British know of Canada in the 18th and 19th centuries? No.

Wrong.
Quote:

So we are not bound by what was sgned and thought of centuries ago.

Unless you are Canadian.

Quote:

Aboriginals used to make their own houses in the wilderness, now they live in houses like us, and too many lack the money to properly maintain them. Can we go on buying them a new house when needed like is happening in Attawaspiskat? No.

Why not? Canada supports lots of immigrants, gets then jobs, educates them, etc.

Mexico is in Wiki's North America,

It's also in pretty much an scientific journal and study, too.
Quote:

you have a country in North America where its people, Mexicans, are not considered North Americans, not even by Mexicans.

So? Mexico doesn't have the final say in world geography.

dumpthemonarchy
Canada used to give immigrants nothing, my father got $0 from the govt. We now give $6000 per year per immigrant to come here forums.canadiancontent.net/ne...immigrant.html (external - login to view) Instead, pay parents this cash to have children to increase the population as native born kids do much better economically.

The 18th and 19th century British, from England, have little care of Canada, much like today. Independent nations are like that, you worry about your own problems now, if others have given you problems, you shed them if you can. We all do it. So we can dump the treaties no problem.

Treaties were mutually benefical in the old days, now they are not. The honour of the crown now just means money from the crown. The movement of money is all one way. FNs offer no benefit for Canada any longer so power says the treaites can be scrapped and money saved.

L Gilbert
+1

Canada used to give immigrants nothing, my father got $0 from the govt. We now give $6000 per year per immigrant to come here forums.canadiancontent.net/ne...immigrant.html (external - login to view) Instead, pay parents this cash to have children to increase the population as native born kids do much better economically.

Irrelevant.

Quote:

The 18th and 19th century British, from England, have little care of Canada, much like today. Independent nations are like that, you worry about your own problems now, if others have given you problems, you shed them if you can. We all do it. So we can dump the treaties no problem.

So? You said, "Did the British know of Canada in the 18th and 19th centuries? No." You were wrong. Brits have been popping over to North Am since the 15th century.

Quote:

Treaties were mutually benefical in the old days, now they are not. The honour of the crown now just means money from the crown. The movement of money is all one way. FNs offer no benefit for Canada any longer so power says the treaites can be scrapped and money saved.

Eh. You wouldn't know what benefits Canada. Ancient cultures benefit everyone whether you like it or not. If it didn't, we wouldn't pay any attention to history, anthropology, archaeology, geography, etc.

dumpthemonarchy
Lets' see 6000x250000 = $1.5 billion per year. IrrelevantC Comic. Well then, send that money to me instead. Money is power these days. Game over here.

L Gilbert
+1

Lets' see 6000x250000 = $1.5 billion per year. IrrelevantC Comic. Well then, send that money to me instead. Money is power these days. Game over here.

That's not what I was referring to. That's an awkward attempt at a strawman.