What has happened to common decency in our society?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A young girl is violently gang raped while bystanders are snapping pictures, while dozens of people watch. She needs witnesses to come forward so the perpetrators can be charged and prosecuted. Yet nobody comes forward (even an anonymous letter to the cops dropped in a mailbox could) Is there no morals or ethics in the mainstream of our society? What do you think?

Alleged B.C. rave rape victim seeks witnesses - British Columbia - CBC News

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I find it ironic that the OP derides those that lack the common decency to 'come forward' on this assault when the most important act of common decency would have been to step in and prevent this assault in the first place.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I find it ironic that the OP derides those that lack the common decency to 'come forward' on this assault when the most important act of common decency would have been to step in and prevent this assault in the first place.

What do you think I am? A clairvoyant? Besides I live 300 miles from the location of the event! I thought you had more brains than that!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
What do you think I am? A clairvoyant? Besides I live 300 miles from the location of the event! I thought you had more brains than that!

The comment wasn't directed at you, but since want to wade in, let's see if we can't fine tune your clairvoyancy skills a bit....

If no one had the common decency to step in and stop the assault in the first place because they were busy taking pictures, do ya really think that it's reasonable to expect someone to fess-up or come forward this long after the fact?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Share this article with the girls in your life, because it has little to do with a lack of common decency, and everything to do with putting yourself in a situation where drugs are flowing so freely that 'bystanders' don't understand what they are seeing, and might not even remember it, let alone be credible witnesses.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The comment wasn't directed at you, but since want to wade in, let's see if we can't fine tune your clairvoyancy skills a bit....

If no one had the common decency to step in and stop the assault in the first place because they were busy taking pictures, do ya really think that it's reasonable to expect someone to fess-up or come forward this long after the fact?

First of all it was I who submitted the O.P. 2nd, one might reasonably assume that those taking pictures were doing so to capture evidence. 3rd, yes out of myriad of witnesses I would expect one or two to come forth with evidence, especially this long after when their conscience must be grating on them.

Share this article with the girls in your life, because it has little to do with a lack of common decency, and everything to do with putting yourself in a situation where drugs are flowing so freely that 'bystanders' don't understand what they are seeing, and might not even remember it, let alone be credible witnesses.

I think you're right, Karrie, which is one of the reasons as I've stated several time- that all stops should be pulled out to eliminate (or at least minimize) the drug problem. I feel I know what I'm talking about because I've seen it first hand in my own family. Many people just don't understand the devastation this sh*t causes. For every druggie there's probably 10 or 15 people directly affected. I personally like to see half of all money allotted for law enforcement to go directly to fighting drugs, because as that crime is reduced virtually every other crime will be reduced!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Not only 'bystanders', but I'm willing to bet the 'participants' were in the same condition, and I venture that includes the girl in question.

Not that it excuses it, but when you put yourself into a herd of assholes on booze and drugs, there's no way to predict what will happen.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
First of all it was I who submitted the O.P.

I was talking about the concept brought up, but if you want to take ownership, that's fine by me.

2nd, one might reasonably assume that those taking pictures were doing so to capture evidence.

Don't delude yourself. No one was taking pictures in an attempt to play Perry Mason. They took those pictures to satiate their sick pervsersions.

3rd, yes out of myriad of witnesses I would expect one or two to come forth with evidence, especially this long after when their conscience must be grating on them.

This brings us back to the original comment.

If no one had the common decency and lacked the conscious to stop the assault while it was in progress, despite standing around watching, it's naive to believe that they have changed their tune.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Absolutely Karrie.

And the same goes for her.

We still do not know what her behaviour was during the "assault". Was she a willing participant? Yes, I know she was probably too stoned to consent...........but did she take the drugs herself? Was she "roofied"? Why was there no complaint until the pics came out??

Why have charges been dropped? I mean, this guy must be on film.........

There is a huge, vast difference between someone witnessing a girl enthusiastically engaging in group sex, and watching someone unconscious being abused. One might not interfere in the former......one certainly should in the latter.

And we don't know which this was....and YES it makes a major difference.

Innocent until proven guilty.

As of now, there was no rape.

I know I'm swimming upstream here, but I am simply not willing to get out the torches and the pitchforks for anyone until I know the circumstances.

And we don't.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Don't delude yourself. No one was taking pictures in an attempt to play Perry Mason. They took those pictures to satiate their sick pervsersions.

Sadly I'd say you are right! Do you remember the discussion re things being better in 1959 than present day? I was slightly in favour of 1959, now I'm much more so- even if we can get fast foods out of a "drive in" window. :lol:

Absolutely Karrie.

We still do not know what her behaviour was during the "assault". Was she a willing participant? Yes, I know she was probably too stoned to consent...........but did she take the drugs herself? Was she "roofied"? Why was there no complaint until the pics came out??

There is a huge, vast difference between someone witnessing a girl enthusiastically engaging in group sex, and watching someone unconscious being abused. One might not interfere in the former......one certainly should in the latter.

I know I'm swimming upstream here, but I am simply not willing to get out the torches and the pitchforks for anyone until I know the circumstances.

And we don't.

Absolutely, which is why it should go to trial for a jury to decide! Anyone preventing that is obstructing justice! :smile:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Absolutely Karrie.

And we don't.

The defence attorney pointed out that there was some video of her and the one guy who has been charged, after the fact, walking somewhere together.

That's what muddies the waters.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Hey, karrie - obviously you're not giving up this place for Lent. What's on the list this year?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It wouldn't matter if it was drugs, booze or raging hormones. Short of having a machine gun and a rear-view mirror, there would be no way to stop the feeding frenzy and not end up dead or worse in the process - and coming clean later would have the same result. Courts are all about convictions - not to be witness bodyguards. I can empathize with the girl's shame

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It wouldn't matter if it was drugs, booze or raging hormones. Short of having a machine gun and a rear-view mirror, there would be no way to stop the feeding frenzy and not end up dead or worse in the process - and coming clean later would have the same result. Courts are all about convictions - not to be witness bodyguards. I can empathize with the girl's shame

So we accept this as the "status quo" and allow it to continue?