What has happened to common decency in our society?

JLM
A young girl is violently gang raped while bystanders are snapping pictures, while dozens of people watch. She needs witnesses to come forward so the perpetrators can be charged and prosecuted. Yet nobody comes forward (even an anonymous letter to the cops dropped in a mailbox could) Is there no morals or ethics in the mainstream of our society? What do you think?

Alleged B.C. rave rape victim seeks witnesses - British Columbia - CBC News

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
Cliffy
+1
Common decency went the way of common sense.

captain morgan
+7
#3  Top Rated Post
I find it ironic that the OP derides those that lack the common decency to 'come forward' on this assault when the most important act of common decency would have been to step in and prevent this assault in the first place.

mentalfloss
+1 / -1

captain morgan
+5
Wow man... You have one cold, cold heart

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

I find it ironic that the OP derides those that lack the common decency to 'come forward' on this assault when the most important act of common decency would have been to step in and prevent this assault in the first place.

What do you think I am? A clairvoyant? Besides I live 300 miles from the location of the event! I thought you had more brains than that!

mentalfloss

What's done is done and I hope that there is a good resolution to the situation.

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

What do you think I am? A clairvoyant? Besides I live 300 miles from the location of the event! I thought you had more brains than that!

The comment wasn't directed at you, but since want to wade in, let's see if we can't fine tune your clairvoyancy skills a bit....

If no one had the common decency to step in and stop the assault in the first place because they were busy taking pictures, do ya really think that it's reasonable to expect someone to fess-up or come forward this long after the fact?

karrie
+4
Share this article with the girls in your life, because it has little to do with a lack of common decency, and everything to do with putting yourself in a situation where drugs are flowing so freely that 'bystanders' don't understand what they are seeing, and might not even remember it, let alone be credible witnesses.

JLM

The comment wasn't directed at you, but since want to wade in, let's see if we can't fine tune your clairvoyancy skills a bit....

If no one had the common decency to step in and stop the assault in the first place because they were busy taking pictures, do ya really think that it's reasonable to expect someone to fess-up or come forward this long after the fact?

First of all it was I who submitted the O.P. 2nd, one might reasonably assume that those taking pictures were doing so to capture evidence. 3rd, yes out of myriad of witnesses I would expect one or two to come forth with evidence, especially this long after when their conscience must be grating on them.

Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

Share this article with the girls in your life, because it has little to do with a lack of common decency, and everything to do with putting yourself in a situation where drugs are flowing so freely that 'bystanders' don't understand what they are seeing, and might not even remember it, let alone be credible witnesses.

I think you're right, Karrie, which is one of the reasons as I've stated several time- that all stops should be pulled out to eliminate (or at least minimize) the drug problem. I feel I know what I'm talking about because I've seen it first hand in my own family. Many people just don't understand the devastation this sh*t causes. For every druggie there's probably 10 or 15 people directly affected. I personally like to see half of all money allotted for law enforcement to go directly to fighting drugs, because as that crime is reduced virtually every other crime will be reduced!

TenPenny

Not only 'bystanders', but I'm willing to bet the 'participants' were in the same condition, and I venture that includes the girl in question.

Not that it excuses it, but when you put yourself into a herd of *******s on booze and drugs, there's no way to predict what will happen.

captain morgan
+2

First of all it was I who submitted the O.P.

I was talking about the concept brought up, but if you want to take ownership, that's fine by me.

2nd, one might reasonably assume that those taking pictures were doing so to capture evidence.

Don't delude yourself. No one was taking pictures in an attempt to play Perry Mason. They took those pictures to satiate their sick pervsersions.

3rd, yes out of myriad of witnesses I would expect one or two to come forth with evidence, especially this long after when their conscience must be grating on them.

This brings us back to the original comment.

If no one had the common decency and lacked the conscious to stop the assault while it was in progress, despite standing around watching, it's naive to believe that they have changed their tune.

Colpy
+2

Absolutely Karrie.

And the same goes for her.

We still do not know what her behaviour was during the "assault". Was she a willing participant? Yes, I know she was probably too stoned to consent...........but did she take the drugs herself? Was she "roofied"? Why was there no complaint until the pics came out??

Why have charges been dropped? I mean, this guy must be on film.........

There is a huge, vast difference between someone witnessing a girl enthusiastically engaging in group sex, and watching someone unconscious being abused. One might not interfere in the former......one certainly should in the latter.

And we don't know which this was....and YES it makes a major difference.

Innocent until proven guilty.

As of now, there was no rape.

I know I'm swimming upstream here, but I am simply not willing to get out the torches and the pitchforks for anyone until I know the circumstances.

And we don't.

JLM

Don't delude yourself. No one was taking pictures in an attempt to play Perry Mason. They took those pictures to satiate their sick pervsersions.

Sadly I'd say you are right! Do you remember the discussion re things being better in 1959 than present day? I was slightly in favour of 1959, now I'm much more so- even if we can get fast foods out of a "drive in" window.

Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Absolutely Karrie.

We still do not know what her behaviour was during the "assault". Was she a willing participant? Yes, I know she was probably too stoned to consent...........but did she take the drugs herself? Was she "roofied"? Why was there no complaint until the pics came out??

There is a huge, vast difference between someone witnessing a girl enthusiastically engaging in group sex, and watching someone unconscious being abused. One might not interfere in the former......one certainly should in the latter.

I know I'm swimming upstream here, but I am simply not willing to get out the torches and the pitchforks for anyone until I know the circumstances.

And we don't.

Absolutely, which is why it should go to trial for a jury to decide! Anyone preventing that is obstructing justice!

Thoughtpolice
I would like to see the YouTube clip before I judge.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Absolutely Karrie.

And we don't.

The defence attorney pointed out that there was some video of her and the one guy who has been charged, after the fact, walking somewhere together.

That's what muddies the waters.

relic
+1
I hope you don't mind Colpy,but I agree with you on this one.

TenPenny

Hey, karrie - obviously you're not giving up this place for Lent. What's on the list this year?

lone wolf
It wouldn't matter if it was drugs, booze or raging hormones. Short of having a machine gun and a rear-view mirror, there would be no way to stop the feeding frenzy and not end up dead or worse in the process - and coming clean later would have the same result. Courts are all about convictions - not to be witness bodyguards. I can empathize with the girl's shame

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

It wouldn't matter if it was drugs, booze or raging hormones. Short of having a machine gun and a rear-view mirror, there would be no way to stop the feeding frenzy and not end up dead or worse in the process - and coming clean later would have the same result. Courts are all about convictions - not to be witness bodyguards. I can empathize with the girl's shame

So we accept this as the "status quo" and allow it to continue?

mentalfloss

If we're going to break this down as some societal blunder of common decency, then we need to know if this kind of situation is actually common place. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would do the right thing and call 911.

MHz

A young girl is violently gang raped while bystanders are snapping pictures, while dozens of people watch. She needs witnesses to come forward so the perpetrators can be charged and prosecuted. Yet nobody comes forward (even an anonymous letter to the cops dropped in a mailbox could) Is there no morals or ethics in the mainstream of our society? What do you think?

Alleged B.C. rave rape victim seeks witnesses - British Columbia - CBC News

I'm not sure if it would indicate there is a rise in that sort of behavior, per capital it might be the same or even a little lower. What has greatly increased is news getting out about events like this.

lone wolf

You can....

I wouldn't suppose there were many "law-and-order" types around

skookumchuck
The situation certainly did not involve mature adults. Oh there may have been some 20-30 preying on 16 types there but mostly drugged, immature, and misguided kids, that is the nature of a rave.
We need to keep in mind that in years past, only about a third to half of your peer group may have ostracized you for "squealing" and likely the group one district or town over would never know. Now with social media, the world knows.

karrie
+1

I think you're right, Karrie, which is one of the reasons as I've stated several time- that all stops should be pulled out to eliminate (or at least minimize) the drug problem. I feel I know what I'm talking about because I've seen it first hand in my own family. Many people just don't understand the devastation this sh*t causes. For every druggie there's probably 10 or 15 people directly affected. I personally like to see half of all money allotted for law enforcement to go directly to fighting drugs, because as that crime is reduced virtually every other crime will be reduced!

Driving things further underground just perpetuates **** like this. If you think people aren't willing to come forward now, imagine how unwilling they'll be when they risk serious legal repercussions just for being at a rave thanks to heavy handed counter-drug tactics.

JLM

Driving things further underground just perpetuates **** like this. If you think people aren't willing to come forward now, imagine how unwilling they'll be when they risk serious legal repercussions just for being at a rave thanks to heavy handed counter-drug tactics.

Sorry, I have to agree to disagree.

karrie

Sorry, I have to agree to disagree.

You can think what you will JLM, but history speaks loudly to the human response to prohibition. , and mankind's tendency to seek out altered states.

L Gilbert
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Unreal. I rarely hand out reds, but this earned one from me.

Like a frozen rock.

Well, I agree to a degree, but I doubt everyone was too high to clue in.

karrie
+1
Also, as well as showing your girls this article... show your kids these great rape prevention tips.

L Gilbert

I think you're right, Karrie, which is one of the reasons as I've stated several time- that all stops should be pulled out to eliminate (or at least minimize) the drug problem.

Good luck with that project. But drugs are definitely a problem.

In spite of the common theme of belief that all kids get stoned at concerts and raves, they don't in reality. Some do, some don't.