What has happened to common decency in our society?


L Gilbert
#61
Well, as I said earlier, I don't leap to the assumption that all the kids there were high. There may have been some that were totally sober yet didn't clue in even if they did see her being assaulted. But there is definitely a lot of kids that simply won't speak up and I think there's a few reasons for that.
 
Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
taxslave
+1
#62
Not sure if this is the same incident or not but at the time I talked to one of my nieces that lives in the area and knows some of the people that were at the rave. As I recall she said that the girl was a willing participant and never said boo until her parents found out about the facebook pics. Then she cried rape. Bear in mind that this comes from a girl that has been known to drop her drawers on a bar table just for fun so her idea of willing may not be the same as everyone elses.
 
karrie
#63
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

So of all those witnesses you are sure NOT ONE was coherent? Yet some were coherent enough to get it into Facebook! Personally I thing there were TWO acts lacking in common decency here, the event itself and everyone clamming up. I can be drunk as a skunk and still know what I saw, so all I'm saying is submit the evidence and let the cops and courts decide if it's valid.

I'm not saying no one saw. I wasn't there, so I'm not gonna make up a single fact. I'm not gonna decide it's a conspiracy, and people clamming up. I'm not gonna decide it's a lack of common decency. I'm not going to call a whole generation sociopaths and sit around applauding myself for being better than them. I wasn't there.
 
JLM
#64
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

I'm not saying no one saw. I wasn't there, so I'm not gonna make up a single fact. I'm not gonna decide it's a conspiracy, and people clamming up. I'm not gonna decide it's a lack of common decency. I'm not going to call a whole generation sociopaths and sit around applauding myself for being better than them. I wasn't there.

Who did that?
 
Cannuck
+1
#65
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Who did that?

You've tried to, though you haven't used the correct terminology.
 
gopher
+3
#66
Quote:

Is there no morals or ethics in the mainstream of our society? What do you think?

As usual, I cannot speak for Canada. But in the States it cannot honestly be said that we had a monopoly on decency at any time. Innocent people were publicly executed by lynch mobs for crimes they did not commit while the perpetrators got ways scot free. This happened for well over 100 years. In fact to this day there are people who could be prosecuted as there is no statute of limitations for murder. But nothing happens to these criminals.
 
JLM
+1
#67
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

You've tried to, though you haven't used the correct terminology.

No- Perhaps you should go back and read the news article attached to the O.P. instead of just flapping your gums as usual.
 
Cannuck
#68
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

No- Perhaps you should go back and read the news article attached to the O.P. instead of just flapping your gums as usual.

I have read the news article. That really has nothing to do with the fact that Karrie is completely accurate in her assessment.
 
JLM
#69
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

I have read the news article. That really has nothing to do with the fact that Karrie is completely accurate in her assessment.

Karrie's assessment???????????? What assessment?, she said what amounted to she had no opinion on any of it- that's perfectly legitimate, but if that was my feeling I might not even comment on the thread. I don't know anymore about it than Karrie does, except I accepted the news report as being credible and only commented on that premise.
 
Cannuck
#70
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

but if that was my feeling I might not even comment on the thread.

That's your choice.
 
JLM
#71
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

That's your choice.

You pointed out that karrie's assessment was absolutely correct and I pointed out she didn't make an assessment! Why would I comment that I had no assessment to make?
 
Cannuck
-1
#72
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

You pointed out that karrie's assessment was absolutely correct and I pointed out she didn't make an assessment!

Yes, yes you did.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Why would I comment that I had no assessment to make?

I don't know. Maybe because you don't know what you are talking about? Maybe because you aren't following the conversation. I'm not inside your head so I can't say why you would do anything.
 
talloola
#73
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Yes, yes you did.



I don't know. Maybe because you don't know what you are talking about? Maybe because you aren't following the conversation. I'm not inside your head so I can't say why you would do anything.

just count to 10 jlm, take a big breath, then find someone logical to talk to, he wants to argue
with you, doesn't matter what you say, its a lose lose situation.
 
Cannuck
-1
#74
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

just count to 10 jlm, take a big breath, then find someone logical to talk to, he wants to argue
with you, doesn't matter what you say, its a lose lose situation.

It's always a lose situation for JLM when he tries to argue with me. Interestingly though, he really hasn't been arguing with me. He's been arguing with Karrie. I've merely pointed out that Karrie was right. If he has an issue with what Karrie has said, perhaps he should take it up with Karrie.
 
JLM
#75
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

just count to 10 jlm, take a big breath, then find someone logical to talk to, he wants to argue
with you, doesn't matter what you say, its a lose lose situation.

Yeah, he does like to prattle on. Anyway glad you are logical to talk to.
 
talloola
+2
#76
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

It's always a lose situation for JLM when he tries to argue with me. Interestingly though, he really hasn't been arguing with me. He's been arguing with Karrie. I've merely pointed out that Karrie was right. If he has an issue with what Karrie has said, perhaps he should take it up with Karrie.

its a lose lose situation when 'anyone' tries to argue with you, but not because you are always right,
but because you just like to argue with no outcome or good point to make, its just an arguement
competition, and you make a marathon out of it, whatever point the other person makes you think up
another argue point, just to keep it going, its like walking into the forest, going around in a circle,
and continueing walking as though you are going somewhere, there is no somewhere.
 
Cannuck
-1
#77
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

its a lose lose situation when 'anyone' tries to argue with you, but not because you are always right,
but because you just like to argue with no outcome or good point to make, its just an arguement
competition, and you make a marathon out of it, whatever point the other person makes you think up
another argue point, just to keep it going, its like walking into the forest, going around in a circle,
and continueing walking as though you are going somewhere, there is no somewhere.

I think you've been looking in the mirror.
 
JLM
#78
There, he's just proved your point, Talloola.
 
talloola
#79
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

There, he's just proved your point, Talloola.

exactly
 
Cannuck
-1
#80
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

There, he's just proved your point, Talloola.

Or she proved mine.
 
JLM
#81
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Or she proved mine.

I wouldn't bet my first born on it!
 
Cannuck
#82
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I wouldn't bet my first born on it!

I'm sure you wouldn't. I would though.
 
Cliffy
#83
If there is a "code of silence" among the youth, where do you think they got it from? Think of all the internal reviews of police actions that ended in someone dying. Think of how many ended with the perp(s) being cleared when all evidence told a different story. Why do you think they don't trust "authority"?
 
Cannuck
#84
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

If there is a "code of silence" among the youth, where do you think they got it from? Think of all the internal reviews of police actions that ended in someone dying. Think of how many ended with the perp(s) being cleared when all evidence told a different story. Why do you think they don't trust "authority"?


They don't trust older folks because older folks have given them no reason to.
 

Similar Threads

17
The Demise of Common Sense
by JLM | Nov 22nd, 2009
16
'Common good' rediscovered
by Avro | Dec 1st, 2008
40
0
The axis of decency
by Blackleaf | Jun 9th, 2007
no new posts