Elizabeth Warren - The Two Income Trap:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Warren was a special advisor to the Bamster on financial matters. Nuff said.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Health problem for my wife and lost of job for me, in 2005.
We never recovered. We still are carrying the same dept we took on
to keep up with our middle class life style.

We don't have cable or fancy cell phones, we don't have HD TV.
I can't remember the last time we bought our 2 kids clothing.
I've never bought furniture after 2003. We rent someone's basement apartment.
We own two beat up cars. I think She has a valid point.

People are going broke trying to stay middle class.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
"Elizabeth Warren - The Two Income Trap"
I think anyone that has noticed the gap between rich and poor getting larger, wondered why, and researched even a little bit would realize this stuff.

Yes but she has good Data to back it up

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Uh, yeeeeaah. I gathered that.

:lol:

I've tried many times to explain what Warren is saying. I usually immediately am told.
I must be spending a lot of money on all kinds of gadgets or none essential things.

I do spend a lot on tools. But that's because I don't want to lose my job again.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
:lol:

I've tried many times to explain what Warren is saying. I usually immediately am told.
I must be spending a lot of money on all kinds of gadgets or none essential things.
I'm not surprised. What other people say about someone, though, is usually said from a position of ignorance. You know better than anyone else what your family spends money on, right? :)

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
We own two beat up cars. I think She has a valid point.

People are going broke trying to stay middle class.
How much is the insurance/repairs/fuel and maintenance on two cars???
When My wife and I retired....the first thing we did was get rid of one vehicle, $2500 a year savings.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Seems to me that if you insist on conforming to the standards and expectations of the peers you choose it may be too late to reconsider?
Translation = low self esteem.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I have no idea what the "two income trap" is. My wife and I appear to fall into that catagory but
I guess we made a slightly higher than average income. My wife was with the kids until they
started school. My wife was an RN and I was a mechanical designer and we had no trouble
living on our combined CCP and OAS when it kicked in. We both had private pension plans
and we had no mortgage plus we had money set aside for cars, vacations etc. It wasn't
very difficult. I've been retired for over ten years now.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
There is some truth to what she says but I do wonder why anyone that is reasonably health would stay in a city barely making ends meet and whine about it when there are so many good paying jobs available in the resource industries. All you have to do is get your lazy butt to one of their job fairs. Many places are quite suitable for families. In fact families are encouraged to come as it creates a more stable work force.