Canada wants military base in Germany


Angstrom
-1
#1
Canada plans to set up a military base in Germany under a deal that will allow the expanding Canadian military to increase its global reach.

The new "operational support hub" – along with others to be set up around the world – will allow Canada to deploy troops and supplies to distant hotspots on short notice, said a joint statement by the German and Canadian governments as German Defence Minister Thomas de Maiziere paid a visit to Ottawa.

It’s still not clear when the base at Cologne-Bonn Airport will be set up or how many Canadians will be there, although troop numbers will not approach the tens of thousands of Americans currently stationed in Germany.

De Maiziere told a press conference that he and his Canadian counterpart, Peter MacKay, are also discussing missile defence, the future of Afghanistan and the nuclear component of NATO defence capabilities – all topics of an upcoming NATO summit in Chicago in May.

According to the Canadian CBC television network, Germany and Canada have recently been expanding their defence cooperation as both countries grapple with prolonged military deployments to Afghanistan.

The Canadians have experimented with setting up temporary logistics hubs in Germany to support their Afghanistan mission – one successful such venture was recently launched alongside the American military in Spangdahlem, Rhineland-Palatinate.

Canada’s Post-Media News said that in deciding where to set up logistics’ hubs, Canadian forces have been impressed with Germany’s organisational skills and also count a long history of cooperation as a plus.

“For decades, Canadian personnel stationed in Germany during the Cold War developed close relations with their German counterparts and their local communities," it quoted MacKay as saying

Source: Canada wants military base in Germany - The Local (external - login to view)

My opinion: Lets balance the budget first.
The Harper Conservatives are cutting at home and expanding everywhere in the world WTF?
Last edited by Angstrom; Feb 20th, 2012 at 08:25 AM..
 
Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
taxslave
+5
#2  Top Rated Post
Mostly what Harper is doing is fixing the damage the Liberals did to our military. We have certain obligations under NATO and the UN and this just helps us live up to them without borrowing from the US all the time.
 
Cliffy
+1 / -1
#3
Bush Lite is just trying to emulate his hero. War mongers of the feather flock together. We should be pulling out of NATO not getting deeper into debt so we can play with the big boys (read: bullies in the playground.)
 
CDNBear
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Bush Lite is just trying to emulate his hero.

You do realize that Harper is a Democrat, right?
 
captain morgan
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

War mongers of the feather flock together.


What kinda war we Canadians gonna wage Cliffy? A bombing campaign of timbits and maybe a few soldiers in circa WWII uniforms with a sharpened stick and bag of throwin' rocks?

Read: We don't have a military thanks largely to your buddy Trudeau
 
Cliffy
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

You do realize that Harper is a Democrat, right?

I thought he was a Conservative.
 
petros
#7
A base in Germany? If the Commies jump the wall we'll be in great shape.
 
Cliffy
+1
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

What kinda war we Canadians gonna wage Cliffy? A bombing campaign of timbits and maybe a few soldiers in circa WWII uniforms with a sharpened stick and bag of throwin' rocks?

Read: We don't have a military thanks largely to your buddy Trudeau

And what, exactly, do you think we were doing in Libya? We certainly didn't bomb the crap out of that country with Tim bits. You need to stop breathing gas fumes.
 
CDNBear
+3
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

I thought he was a Conservative.

He's barely that here. In the States, he'd be a Democrat.
 
captain morgan
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

And what, exactly, do you think we were doing in Libya?

Living up to a UN obligation?

Doing our small part to stop a dictator bent on killing innocents for their own advancement?

Is this a trick question Cliffy?
 
petros
+3
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

He's barely that here. In the States, he'd be a Democrat.

And labeled a Socialist.
 
Cliffy
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Living up to a UN obligation?

Doing our small part to stop a dictator bent on killing innocents for their own advancement?

Is this a trick question Cliffy?

Only if you've been sniffing gas. We did not go into that country to free the people from a dictator. And I'm sure, you being in the gas and oil industry, that you know exactly why we were there.
 
captain morgan
+2
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Only if you've been sniffing gas. We did not go into that country to free the people from a dictator. And I'm sure, you being in the gas and oil industry, that you know exactly why we were there.


Good one Cliffy... Canada has the second largest proven reserves as is and magically you think that we went there to steal more.

Thanks for playing bud.... Vanna, what fabulous prize do we have for our runner-up?
 
Angstrom
#14
I don't Care what NATO say's.

If we need to Cut 10% of every federal departments budget.
Now is not the time to expand our military, with new base's outside of Canada.
 
CDNBear
+2
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

I don't Care what NATO say's.

If we need to Cut 10% of every federal departments budget.

Except for interpretive dance.
 
Angstrom
-1
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Except for interpretive dance.

I'll let you worry about the 0.00279 of a penny a year every Canadians have to pay to support that lady's foundation.

When I look at a problem. (our budget) I look to cut where you can really make a big difference. How much money have we spent in the last 13 years on bombs?
 
CDNBear
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

I'll let you worry about the 0.00279 of a penny a year every Canadians have to pay to support that lady's foundation.

When I look at a problem. (our budget) I look to cut where you can really make a big difference. How much money have we spent in the last 13 years on bombs?

So you didn't really mean every dept...

Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

If we need to Cut 10% of every federal departments budget.

Last edited by CDNBear; Feb 20th, 2012 at 10:44 AM..
 
Angstrom
-1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

So you didn't really mean every dept...


WTF are you talking about? Its happening this year...
The federal government is cutting 10% out of all departments but expanding on Military CSIS RCMP & Correctional Service of Canada.
Last edited by Angstrom; Feb 20th, 2012 at 10:46 AM..
 
CDNBear
+2
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

WTF are you talking about?

Your post...

Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

When I look at a problem. (our budget) I look to cut where you can really make a big difference.

I think cutting out wasteful uses of funds, such as interpretive dance (which is just the tip of the iceberg), would make a big difference.

Please do try and keep up.
 
Walter
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Bush Lite is just trying to emulate his hero. War mongers of the feather flock together. We should be pulling out of NATO not getting deeper into debt so we can play with the big boys (read: bullies in the playground.)

How many wars have been started by the US?
 
Angstrom
+1 / -1
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Your post...

I think cutting out wasteful uses of funds, such as interpretive dance (which is just the tip of the iceberg), would make a big difference.

Please do try and keep up.

your a lost cause.

The 14 Defining Characteristics of Fascism by Dr. Lawrence Britt
1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism
2. Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights
3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause
4. Supremacy of the Military
5. Rampant Sexism
6. Controlled Mass Media
7. Obsession with National Security
8. Religion and Government are Intertwined
9. Corporate Power is Protected
10. Labor Power is Suppressed
11. Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts
12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment
13. Rampant Cronyism and Corruption
14. Fraudulent Elections

More support to Arts would be a huge improvement over more Military base's outside of Canada for us to launch aggressive military maneuvers
 
CDNBear
+1
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

your a lost cause.

I bet with your limited reasoning skills, you actually believe that.

Quote:

The 14 Defining Characteristics of Fascism by Dr. Lawrence Britt
1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism
2. Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights
3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause
4. Supremacy of the Military
5. Rampant Sexism
6. Controlled Mass Media
7. Obsession with National Security
8. Religion and Government are Intertwined
9. Corporate Power is Protected
10. Labor Power is Suppressed
11. Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts
12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment
13. Rampant Cronyism and Corruption
14. Fraudulent Elections

Sounds like many failed, and still oppressive socialist countries.

Quote:

More support to Arts would be a huge improvement over more Military base outside of Canada for us to launch aggressive military maneuvers

More support for education and health would be much better.

But since you think interpretive dance, is far more important. I can see why you would consider me a lost cause.
 
captain morgan
+2
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

The 14 Defining Characteristics of Fascism by Dr. Lawrence Britt


Hey!.. What's that over there!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post


Sounds like many failed, and still oppressive socialist countries.


... But I'll bet that those countries all have really strong interpretative dance programs.
 
Angstrom
-1
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

I bet with your limited reasoning skills, you actually believe that.

Sounds like many failed, and still oppressive socialist countries.

More support for education and health would be much better.

But since you think interpretive dance, is far more important. I can see why you would consider me a lost cause.

Then you would know that Education works when A person Can concentrate. And concentration is like a muscle it grows with practice. We have a epidemic of attention deficits disorder.

The best proven way for kids to learn concentration is with arts. The top rated exercise to build concentration in humans is by them learning a musical instrument.


Your a lost cause like I said.
 
#juan
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

Canada plans to set up a military base in Germany under a deal that will allow the expanding Canadian military to increase its global reach.

The new "operational support hub" – along with others to be set up around the world – will allow Canada to deploy troops and supplies to distant hotspots on short notice, said a joint statement by the German and Canadian governments as German Defence Minister Thomas de Maiziere paid a visit to Ottawa.

It’s still not clear when the base at Cologne-Bonn Airport will be set up or how many Canadians will be there, although troop numbers will not approach the tens of thousands of Americans currently stationed in Germany.

De Maiziere told a press conference that he and his Canadian counterpart, Peter MacKay, are also discussing missile defence, the future of Afghanistan and the nuclear component of NATO defence capabilities – all topics of an upcoming NATO summit in Chicago in May.

According to the Canadian CBC television network, Germany and Canada have recently been expanding their defence cooperation as both countries grapple with prolonged military deployments to Afghanistan.

The Canadians have experimented with setting up temporary logistics hubs in Germany to support their Afghanistan mission – one successful such venture was recently launched alongside the American military in Spangdahlem, Rhineland-Palatinate.

Canada’s Post-Media News said that in deciding where to set up logistics’ hubs, Canadian forces have been impressed with Germany’s organisational skills and also count a long history of cooperation as a plus.

“For decades, Canadian personnel stationed in Germany during the Cold War developed close relations with their German counterparts and their local communities," it quoted MacKay as saying

Source: Canada wants military base in Germany - The Local (external - login to view)

My opinion: Lets balance the budget first.
The Harper Conservatives are cutting at home and expanding everywhere in the world WTF?

I'm sure Germany would like a Canadian military base in Germany. The Canadian military
would be relatively inoffensive, and to have 1500 - 2000 foreigners spending money in your
country can't be all bad. What I don't understand is why Canada would want to do this.
 
Angstrom
-1
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

I'm sure Germany would like a Canadian military base in Germany. The Canadian military
would be relatively inoffensive, and to have 1500 - 2000 foreigners spending money in your
country can't be all bad. What I don't understand is why Canada would want to do this.

Most Canadians don't want this.

Harper wants it to wage wars of aggression on other country's
I'm OK for a base in the artic to declare more sovereignty over the north
That would be Military for defensive purpose But I'm not OK with this.
 
Ron in Regina
+3
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

Most Canadians don't want this.

Harper wants it to wage wars of aggression on other country's
I'm OK for a base in the artic to declare more sovereignty over the north
But not this.


Actually, I bet you "Most" Canadians don't know about this, at this point.
 
CDNBear
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

Then you would know that Education works when A person Can concentrate. And concentration is like a muscle it grows with practice. We have a epidemic of attention definite disorder.

I know. That's why I believe in physical exercise. Schools frown on it, for the most part due to overreactions and lawsuits when a student is injured during the course of it.

Quote:

The best proven way for kids to learn concentration is with arts. The top rated exercise to build concentration in young humans is learning a musical instrument.

Not that this has anything to do with interpretive dance. I'm sure you have empirical data to support that?

Quote:

Your as dumb as a rock
A lost cause like I said.

Again, given your limited reasoning skills, that sentiment is negated.

Interesting edit, noted.
 
captain morgan
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

Most Canadians don't want this.

.... And you know this because of?.....
 
SLM
+4
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

Actually, I bet you "Most" Canadians don't know about this, at this point.

Yeah well that's the way it works isn't it? "Most" of us don't know what we don't want until one guy steps up and tells us.
 

Similar Threads

no new posts